Downtown cameras

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 26th, 2018, 6:33 am

Bsuds wrote:Just watched "The Circle" on Netflix and if you want an interesting view on cameras you need to watch it.

Mind provoking to say the least.


Exactly!

Welcome to Basran's, Council's and Mattiussi's nightmare. If there is but one member of council that stands with the people, we challenge him or her to stand up and do the right thing.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Steve-O » Feb 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but The Circle is fiction.
Steve-O
Übergod
 
Posts: 1123
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 436 posts
Joined: Aug 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 26th, 2018, 8:29 am

Steve-O wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but The Circle is fiction.


Yes, but the cameras in Kelowna are real!

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 26th, 2018, 8:43 am

Le
Last edited by fz6adventure on May 6th, 2018, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 26th, 2018, 8:46 am

Wow - this is quite an eye-opening video as originally mentioned by 60-Years-In-Ktown. Interaction in a public place with Kelowna RCMP Sgt. begins around 10:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3V5cVQLMCc

I'm all for standing behind the hard work our RCMP performs dealing with people most of us simply do not ever want to deal with, however this is more than just a little disturbing on a number of levels.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*

2 people like this post.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2263
Likes: 1751 posts
Liked in: 3021 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » May 6th, 2018, 10:09 am

Geez, Vancouver decided not to put them in the busy downtown sector.
The business folk that attract all the visitors wants them.
Some of the reason for turning it down was that they cameras get used for the wrong purpose.,
The reasons to not go ahead were interesting..
I read about it in the Province, Thursday I believe..
Written by Dan Fumano, page 8, Little Appetite at city Hall for Granville CCTV system.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

2 people like this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3966
Likes: 515 posts
Liked in: 2198 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby the truth » May 6th, 2018, 10:31 am

with terrorism on the rise everywhere even in canada -- why not---if your doing nothing wrong who cares

https://globalnews.ca/news/3778722/edmo ... l-rampage/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15827
Likes: 10665 posts
Liked in: 6318 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby spooker » May 6th, 2018, 3:44 pm

the truth wrote:with terrorism on the rise everywhere even in canada -- why not---if your doing nothing wrong who cares

https://globalnews.ca/news/3778722/edmo ... l-rampage/


So, the media tells us how scared we should be and for that we should give up our right of privacy ... definitely a place I want to live </sarcasm>
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

2 people like this post.
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1182
Likes: 931 posts
Liked in: 735 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » May 6th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Great, so now we have someone anonymous, telling us its a good idea if we have done nothing wrong.!
Not to Self.. Do NOT take advice from anonymous..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3966
Likes: 515 posts
Liked in: 2198 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Jflem1983 » May 7th, 2018, 8:19 am

Any updates on this nonsense f6z?


How can we as a community work together to get rid of these cameras
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3240 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » May 7th, 2018, 9:39 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Any updates on this nonsense f6z?


How can we as a community work together to get rid of these cameras


It is the old "follow the money" thing. I suggest that as many people as possible send in Freedom of Information requests for copies of video and images of themselves captured on the surveillance cameras. These images are defined as personal information for which the City is not able to charge fees for.

In the City core there are roughly 70 cameras set up so if you make a request for all video that may have captured your image on a particular date over a two hour time limit it will take a technician a minimum of 140 hours to review all the video to determine if your image is on a particular camera. Conservatively, the cost per hour would be $75 translating to a minimum cost of roughly $10,000 just to review the video. Imagine if the City were to get 50 of these requests every month ...........this would mean an annual cost just to comply with FIPPA exceeding $6 million.

Of course the City will do everything in their power not to comply. I have 4 situations in front of the OIPC where the City claims they destroyed the records following the request..... These are $5,000 fines each.

The City seems to like laws ..... except when they have to play by them!

Only when the cost outstrips the perceived benefit, will the the surveillance stop!

2 people like this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby alanjh595 » May 7th, 2018, 10:09 am

Of course you would need to supply a photo of yourself for them to reference when they went looking for your video. You would also have to supply date, exact time, description of your clothing, height, weight, and location of the video in question.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6828
Likes: 2591 posts
Liked in: 3648 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » May 7th, 2018, 12:06 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Of course you would need to supply a photo of yourself for them to reference when they went looking for your video. You would also have to supply date, exact time, description of your clothing, height, weight, and location of the video in question.


No problem but the time can be within a two hour window and the location can be a general area (Say everywhere one walked covering the downtown core) - very few cameras are identified with signage as to where they are or where they capture footage. Off course, the City will tell you the exact time and location when they release the video as that is their responsibility.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby AlienSoldier » May 7th, 2018, 12:18 pm

fz6adventure wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Any updates on this nonsense f6z?


How can we as a community work together to get rid of these cameras


It is the old "follow the money" thing. I suggest that as many people as possible send in Freedom of Information requests for copies of video and images of themselves captured on the surveillance cameras. These images are defined as personal information for which the City is not able to charge fees for.

In the City core there are roughly 70 cameras set up so if you make a request for all video that may have captured your image on a particular date over a two hour time limit it will take a technician a minimum of 140 hours to review all the video to determine if your image is on a particular camera. Conservatively, the cost per hour would be $75 translating to a minimum cost of roughly $10,000 just to review the video. Imagine if the City were to get 50 of these requests every month ...........this would mean an annual cost just to comply with FIPPA exceeding $6 million.

Of course the City will do everything in their power not to comply. I have 4 situations in front of the OIPC where the City claims they destroyed the records following the request..... These are $5,000 fines each.

The City seems to like laws ..... except when they have to play by them!

Only when the cost outstrips the perceived benefit, will the the surveillance stop!


Or they will increase the taxes, take necessary services like policing, paramedics, or cleaning crews out to fund this. But those are all things we can complain about when we get there.
AlienSoldier
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 214 posts
Joined: Oct 30th, 2017, 10:53 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » May 7th, 2018, 12:21 pm

AlienSoldier wrote:Or they will increase the taxes, take necessary services like policing, paramedics, or cleaning crews out to fund this. But those are all things we can complain about when we get there.


Then it becomes a decision by the taxpayers with the relative costs out in the open.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 545
Likes: 858 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], cr125, Grandan and 13 guests