Downtown cameras :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by CapitalB »

ferri wrote:Downtown cameras :topic:

Sorry, sorry. It bridges so easily into other forms of state surveillance.

I still think my original post being concerned with the data security shown by local government should be the most worrying thing about our city wanting to have a bunch of cctv's downtown. Sure some of you are fine with them having all the footage, but how comfortable with all that being stored on a server in city hall with the password "password".
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I only see a couple problems with using drones even though it's a great idea.

1) drone battery life- many drones are only able to fly for a period of 15 to 30 min. Then the battery needs to changed out. So it must be flown back to the operator then back to where you left off.

2) weather- wind, rain and snow will ground most drones.

3) flight patterns- some of the worst roads are not fare from the airport. I'm not 100% on the distance needed but they can't be flown within a certain distance from any airport either.

The drone we use has amazing video quality and can record right to a SD card or cell phone. You would be able to catch people with out having to get super close in person.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

ferri wrote:Downtown cameras :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

fz6adventure wrote:First off I don't sanction violent criminal acts!

Seeing as though privacy is not important to you, I look forward to seeing your post of your picture, pictures of the family, vehicle particulars, licence plate, home address, social insurance number, passport number, and any other personal information you care to share. No big deal right?

That's funny, didn't realize the camera downtown could get all that information either. Plus, big difference between posting your picture on an open website anyone to access and a camera system that is operated by the city. The day any of those images are posted to an open website without proper authorization is the day your argument becomes valid.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

goatboy wrote:
That's funny, didn't realize the camera downtown could get all that information either. Plus, big difference between posting your picture on an open website anyone to access and a camera system that is operated by the city. The day any of those images are posted to an open website without proper authorization is the day your argument becomes valid.

May as well be on the open web with canadas track record for data security.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

When they tell you it's secure, do you believe them 100 percent ?
I do not..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Then you should not be using the internet, because it is not secure.
Bring back the LIKE button.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I just watched a video on youtube, title was something like ....video the Kelowna RCMP dont want you to see..
I must say, they don't seem to react well in what some assume is a public place.
And the officer certainly exhibits aggressive behaviour, which they seem to downplay often.,

Food for thought, let's film everyone we can, but don't film us.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I just watched a video on youtube, title was something like ....video the Kelowna RCMP dont want you to see..
I must say, they don't seem to react well in what some assume is a public place.
And the officer certainly exhibits aggressive behaviour, which they seem to downplay often.,

Food for thought, let's film everyone we can, but don't film us.

Can you attach the link or PM it please
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Courtesy of the mayor.
Very few staff are able to view cameras and unless a crime or security incident is reported, video is deleted after approximately 30 days and video is only released to law enforcement agencies.

Of course we only have two law enforcement agencies in Kelowna, those being the RCMP and Bylaw Services - Both of which fall under the Police Act (ie Peace Officers). What is interesting about this is that it would seem the videos are released without a warrant - and thus warrantless searches. On a Charter challenge in the courts, the video would not be considered by the courts nor would any action precipitated by the video in the arrest be allowed as evidence.

I really am having trouble understanding exactly the benefit of the cameras......other than to ogle women such as the Yellowknife situation.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Just search Kelowna RCMP don't like video.
It's 26 minutes but watch the whole thing.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Just search Kelowna RCMP don't like video.
It's 26 minutes but watch the whole thing.

Thank you - Found it. Pretty aggressive policeman.

Funny thing - There at least a dozen cameras all around the building to capture everyone who walks along the fronting sidewalks and in the un-gated parking lot along Clement I'm betting these are owned and operated by the City because the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has the RCMP in line.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I have been thru that area hundreds of times, part of it was the old alley which they cutoff and added to the detachment land.I believe that took place 2015.
I am not clear on it , but I believe outside the security gate is public parking.. so wether this is public space or not, that concerns me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just watched "The Circle" on Netflix and if you want an interesting view on cameras you need to watch it.

Mind provoking to say the least.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”