Downtown cameras

lensbaby
Board Meister

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by lensbaby »

Jflem1983 wrote:Not one crime has ever been prevented by a camera.

Could you post your source for that? It would certainly help back up the anti-camera position.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lensbaby wrote:Could you post your source for that? It would certainly help back up the anti-camera position.

I don't have any actual numbers, just have to look at how many banks have been robbed over last few years... add gas stations, convenience stores & fast food places + pawn shops.
All of them have cameras, and they still get robbed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

GordonH wrote:

lensbaby wrote:Could you post your source for that? It would certainly help back up the anti-camera position.

I don't have any actual numbers, just have to look at how many banks have been robbed over last few years... add gas stations, convenience stores & fast food places + pawn shops.
All of them have cameras, and they still get robbed.

As I said I also have security cams and a sign very visible stating I have cams and my truck and a friend's where almost broken into just a couple nights ago.

It's not gonna stop crime! Just make smarter criminals or move the crime to another place.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

It literally says they don't work in the article.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

China enforces the law.

Impossible to compare
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Couldn't care less, and don't appreciate the OP's attempts to manipulate me with dramatic language.

Next.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

JayByrd wrote:Couldn't care less, and don't appreciate the OP's attempts to manipulate me with dramatic language.

Next.

Please tell me how you feel about this scenario. A savvy criminal taps into the City of Kelowna camera network and is monitoring it live but dark from the knowledge of the City. While they capture you headed to the beach, out on your boat or attending a concert they know you will be out of your home for several hours. While you are sitting at the beach, out on the water in your boat and enjoying a concert, they use the opportunity to go to your home and rob it of anything of value including your most prized possessions. None of this would be possible without you providing by your tax dollars all the cameras. Are you okay with this?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

LTD wrote:if it helps the cops catch some jerk for one of the all to common random unprovoked beatings that seem to take place downtown every summer then put up more if you have nothing to hide it shouldn't really matter

they already have cameras up and have had them for years.the only difference and the thing that makes it a privacy violation is that they want to have them monitored in real time
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

voice of reason wrote:they already have cameras up and have had them for years.the only difference and the thing that makes it a privacy violation is that they want to have them monitored in real time

What if they are recording and it is reviewed 12 hours later? Is that not an invasion of privacy?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

fz6adventure wrote:Please tell me how you feel about this scenario. A savvy criminal taps into the City of Kelowna camera network and is monitoring it live but dark from the knowledge of the City. While they capture you headed to the beach, out on your boat or attending a concert they know you will be out of your home for several hours. While you are sitting at the beach, out on the water in your boat and enjoying a concert, they use the opportunity to go to your home and rob it of anything of value including your most prized possessions. None of this would be possible without you providing by your tax dollars all the cameras. Are you okay with this?

Watch many movies?? lol

Seems to me they've had cameras all over Britain for years. Never heard of any privacy issues coming from there. Anyone else?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Steve-O wrote:
fz6adventure wrote:Please tell me how you feel about this scenario. A savvy criminal taps into the City of Kelowna camera network and is monitoring it live but dark from the knowledge of the City. While they capture you headed to the beach, out on your boat or attending a concert they know you will be out of your home for several hours. While you are sitting at the beach, out on the water in your boat and enjoying a concert, they use the opportunity to go to your home and rob it of anything of value including your most prized possessions. None of this would be possible without you providing by your tax dollars all the cameras. Are you okay with this?

Watch many movies?? lol

Seems to me they've had cameras all over Britain for years. Never heard of any privacy issues coming from there. Anyone else?

Move to England then. I hear its lovely
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Steve-O wrote:Seems to me they've had cameras all over Britain for years. Never heard of any privacy issues coming from there. Anyone else?

And there has not been a significant decrease in crime as a result of one camera for every 10 citizens in the UK. So what is the point of having cameras in the first place?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Do you know that? I would bet their ability to identify and prosecute criminals has increased. The average, non-paranoid citizen has nothing to worry about.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Steve-O wrote:Do you know that? I would bet their ability to identify and prosecute criminals has increased. The average, non-paranoid citizen has nothing to worry about.

From the OIPC Press Release:
Video surveillance is tempting to local governments. At first blush it’s an easy way to appear to address public safety issues, rather than take on the more difficult challenge of the social ills from which crime arises. But what Richmond, Terrace, and Kelowna are ignoring is that for all its monetary and privacy costs, there is little evidence that surveillance works. In 2001, then privacy commissioner David Loukidelis reported that pervasive use of video surveillance had little or no effect on reducing crime. Nothing has changed since then. We must learn from the experience in other jurisdictions, such as the UK, where over 6 million cameras (one for every ten people!) have not significantly reduced crime in urban centres. Cameras are particularly poor at deterring violent crime, as those acts occur spontaneously and the perpetrators are not concerned with getting caught, on video or otherwise. Every blurry image we see on the news of a crime being committed was a crime that was not prevented by video surveillance.

Return to “Central Okanagan”