Downtown cameras

fz6adventure
Board Meister

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by fz6adventure »

Bsuds wrote:Camera's are not blocking your freedom they are helping keeping you safe. They are prevalent now almost everywhere in public you go.

I'll take the freedom over the safety every day of the week and twice on Sundays. There is no evidence that dragnet surveillance enhances safety.

They are not everywhere. In your backyard, very few other municipalities (Penticton, Osoyoos, Vernon, Kamloops etc) don't have surveillance cameras operated by the municipality and they are no less safe than Kelowna.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote: They are prevalent now almost everywhere in public you go.
fz6adventure wrote:
There is no evidence that dragnet surveillance enhances safety.

They are not everywhere.

I said in "public". Look around in many stores and pretty much any mall and you will see cameras.
I agree they will probably not make you safer but they will help in catching those who break the law.

But you continue with your paranoia.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I don’t have any issues with cameras. I’m never doing anything I shouldn’t be or any place I shouldn’t be.

Here is an interesting concept from the movie The Circle:

dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

fz6adventure wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Maybe they should be active only during certain times of the day. Like 6pm to 6am.
Then those who complain "but I don't do anything" will be excluded from being photographed and those who do will.

So then I'm only a free person during the 6AM to 6PM window, but another time I choose to leave my home I'm not free?

How about the City put a curfew in place that no person shall be on the street between 6PM to 6AM ........ criminals convicted of crimes sometimes are under house arrest like this ..... but of course they are not 'free'.

See how this freedom thing works!

Unless you are serving sentence (which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY as nobody ever gets a sentence around here), then you are FREE 24/7/365.....don't do anything illegal and you will stay that way! It's your choice! The cameras can only catch you getting up to something if you are actually getting up to something!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If you don't place any value on your freedom , by all means give it away..let someone take it.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

So I'm walking through a public place. Say the Queensway Transit loop.

As I walk from Ellis to Water, the whole time I'm in the view of at least one city-operated surveillance camera. I don't know if that's even true, but let's say it is. And I won't even count privately-run security cameras that may catch me.

It's also a busy public place. Dozens of people have seen me. Some could even watch me, take note of what I've got with me and where I'm going, if they're so inclined.

The camera violates my privacy and freedom, but the actual eyeballs don't.

What am I missing here? Please take this at face value...it's not sarcasm, or me trying to make a prove that others are being silly. I really don't understand why people see the two things as different. I have no expectation of privacy, because I'm out in the open. To me, the camera is no different than the people around. Why is it different to you?

Is it because the City is a relatively powerful entity, while the regular people aren't?

Is it the slippery slope? First there's a camera downtown, then there's one watching my front door?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The same argument could be applied to personal handheld recording devices. You can't stop them from recording you and you can't stop them from posting the video on youtube. At least the city cameras will not be allowed on youtube.
Same goes for dash cams, police body cameras, and personal cameras with super high powered lenses mounted on tripods on apartment balconies.
When you are out in public, it is just that, public.
Bring back the LIKE button.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JayByrd wrote:So I'm walking through a public place. Say the Queensway Transit loop.

As I walk from Ellis to Water, the whole time I'm in the view of at least one city-operated surveillance camera. I don't know if that's even true, but let's say it is. And I won't even count privately-run security cameras that may catch me.

It's also a busy public place. Dozens of people have seen me. Some could even watch me, take note of what I've got with me and where I'm going, if they're so inclined.

The camera violates my privacy and freedom, but the actual eyeballs don't.

What am I missing here? Please take this at face value...it's not sarcasm, or me trying to make a prove that others are being silly. I really don't understand why people see the two things as different. I have no expectation of privacy, because I'm out in the open. To me, the camera is no different than the people around. Why is it different to you?

Is it because the City is a relatively powerful entity, while the regular people aren't?

Is it the slippery slope? First there's a camera downtown, then there's one watching my front door?

Exactly! You nailed it with "I have no expectation of privacy, because I'm out in the open". If the cameras bother someone because they feel the cameras are violating their privacy rights, then those folks perhaps should stay home, or not do anything illegal.....
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

TreeGuy wrote:I don’t have any issues with cameras. I’m never doing anything I shouldn’t be or any place I shouldn’t be

By that logic, the mayor and city manager should welcome live video feeds of their offices ....... are they offering that?

It is like the executives from Monsanto saying their products are 100% safe for human consumption ...... but decline the opportunity for a pesticide cocktail.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

dle wrote:If the cameras bother someone because they feel the cameras are violating their privacy rights, then those folks perhaps should stay home

If I have to stay home to avoid State surveillance, then I'm not free!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Few years back, my buddy is cruising along on his motorbike when a van next to him does a California lane change and puts him into the median and hurt quite badly. Van keeps going and besides a description, no one gets any more information. Now, because they had just crossed the bridge a minute earlier, officials review the bridge cams, find the van, are able to get the plate and take it from there.

I'll agree, cameras may have little impact on deterring but they can certainly help ensure a price is paid. To me, that is why I have no issue with them.
Kerri May

Post by Kerri May »

In the last few years, we have had 2 car windows smashed on separate occasions. Another event,our car had its whole side keyed. All 3 times, we were legally parked. And within 1000' of the police station. I say bring on the cameras. May help,may not but can't hurt. Where are the beat cops? Crime is rampant downtown.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Kerri May wrote:In the last few years, we have had 2 car windows smashed on separate occasions. Another event,our car had its whole side keyed. All 3 times, we were legally parked. And within 1000' of the police station. I say bring on the cameras. May help,may not but can't hurt. Where are the beat cops? Crime is rampant downtown.

Outside of weekdays (7-7 m-f) I can count the police cars I've seen on the road this year on one hand, and I'm driving around pretty regular weekends and evenings. I get the feeling our police don't like working evenings and weekends.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OH, they are out there, you just can't see them.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Little off topic here
Out for my walk today headed over to Mission area. While at Mission Park plaza, I happened to notice now many cameras (normally I don't pay attention for them). This was on outside not in any of stores (I did not stop at any of the shops), just in walk through was 4.
Privately owned properties appear to be on board with cameras, not just inside businesses.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”