Downtown cameras

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by dle »

I neglected to point out in another post that even though I'm in favour of the cameras and I believe that EVERY LITTLE BIT we do to try and stop even SOME crime is good, it is all MOOT if the cops don't arrest, and if the Judges don't sentence!

So it all comes back to only some people pulling their weight in the "putting the pinch on crime" campaign. The cops used to arrest but found it was a waste of their limited resources because it becomes paper-work hell only to have the Judge release the perps with no sentence.

The ol' catch and release system of Canada - yep. Now, what's our plan to stop THAT??? Then maybe we'll get somewhere.....
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Maybe they can compile a "best of" photos of the streets of K Town. Usually the images they release of criminals could be nearly anyone wearing a hoodie. Personally don't care if there are cams up but not sure it prevents crime.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... u-confuse/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Might be helpful for the "Unsolved Crimes" on Castanet.
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

fz6adventure wrote:
Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?

Ahhh, okay. I thought we were dealing with just one guy, not an international crime syndicate. So they grab a shot of me from the camera....say "enhance" and my pixelated face becomes crystal clear. They can also see I'm wearing a $3000 watch. They cross-reference my face through the database, and know my address, income, and that I have a Warhol original hanging over my bed. Voila. I feel like a fool now for putting my wall safe behind the Warhol.

You've got me convinced. Not about the risks of city-installed cameras, just convinced that I need to watch more movies.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Move to England then. I hear its lovely[/quote]

What? Are you kidding me! Too many cameras. Might catch me picking my nose.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

fz6adventure wrote:Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?

I honestly think you're giving the deadbeat criminals too much credit here. I believe you put forth more effort into coming up with this scenario than they put forth ripping off change out of cars, and bikes out of back yards. The organized individuals in your savvy storey is not going to waste his/her time using his/her tech skills in hacking the camera's and facial recognition databases to rob a home owner for 7-10 cents on the dollar when they can just hack bitcoin for 70 million or tap into card readers and bank machines again.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I am so upset the cameras did not get set up when planned. .
Not... not ....not .. not at all actually.... [icon_lol2.gif]
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

voice of reason wrote:you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this

You can help stop the erosion by writing a short and simple email to the Office of The Information and Privacy Commissioner. Their email address is [email protected]. It takes only a couple of minutes of time to do this.

The City is petitioning the OIPC aggressively to allow this expanding invasion of privacy, but if they hear from enough citizens that object, they will put the brakes on the City.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

i will certainly send in my letter of support. Thank you for the link.
Bring back the LIKE button.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

voice of reason wrote:you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this

Actually, our rights have been eroding for years in direct proportion to the rights of the criminals advancing.

It's good to actually see someone doing something to turn that particular ship around. I say go for it and the sooner the better.

I'm tired of thieves basically being vindicated by the lack of any punishment, in their thinking that it's ok to steal from me. It's ok to vandalize my car for kicks. It's ok to break into my house. It's ok to do whatever the heck they feel like doing as there will be no consequences. Well, for them anyway - there are big consequences for me every time they do it when I have to pay hundreds of dollars in deductibles out of my own pocket to fix things they wreck. For the hours I have to take off work taking my vehicle in for repairs, or looking for parts to try to get it fixed. For the sleepless nights I spend wondering who is wandering around my yard and are they going to try and enter my home and hurt us.

Don't talk to me about my rights being eroded away by someone actually trying to do something to deter crime. The more we do the better and it's LONG, LONG overdue. I want their butts thrown in jail and I will not give one hoot if the conditions aren't quite Hilton-like for their stay.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

dle wrote:Actually, our rights have been eroding for years in direct proportion to the rights of the criminals advancing.

It's good to actually see someone doing something to turn that particular ship around. I say go for it and the sooner the better.

I'm tired of thieves basically being vindicated by the lack of any punishment, in their thinking that it's ok to steal from me. It's ok to vandalize my car for kicks. It's ok to break into my house. It's ok to do whatever the heck they feel like doing as there will be no consequences. Well, for them anyway - there are big consequences for me every time they do it when I have to pay hundreds of dollars in deductibles out of my own pocket to fix things they wreck. For the hours I have to take off work taking my vehicle in for repairs, or looking for parts to try to get it fixed. For the sleepless nights I spend wondering who is wandering around my yard and are they going to try and enter my home and hurt us.

Don't talk to me about my rights being eroded away by someone actually trying to do something to deter crime. The more we do the better and it's LONG, LONG overdue. I want their butts thrown in jail and I will not give one hoot if the conditions aren't quite Hilton-like for their stay.

With all the camera's in the downtown core, If I were a criminal I would be looking to practice my craft where the cameras are not ....... like the residential areas! Plus, there is no evidence to suggest that increased surveillance acts as a deterrent to crime.

Surveillance is not going to change how the criminal justice system processes alleged crime.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Peeps see a dust devil and it becomes newsworthy .
Lots of cameras and they can have more of them on the news.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”