Downtown cameras

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by Fancy »

So it's okay in your book if homeowners are recording public spaces but the City of Kelowna shouldn't be doing it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:
The one along St. Paul focused on the sidewalk is owned and operated by the John Howard Society.
And good thing with all the crap that happens there. Those cameras have never bothered me.

I walk that section of street pretty much on a daily basis during both day time and night time and can't recall any "crap" happening in the entire stretch between Doyle and Bernard.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:So it's okay in your book if homeowners are recording public spaces but the City of Kelowna shouldn't be doing it.

Exactly
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So have I and I've seen a lot. From drug deals, to guys peeing on the buildings, unruly behaviour and people sleeping in doorways, potential thieves checking vehicles etc. etc. The cameras weren't placed on a whim.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:So it's okay in your book if homeowners are recording public spaces but the City of Kelowna shouldn't be doing it.

Yes - It is not against the law. The same can't be said though if an organization or business uses mass surveillance of public places though.

https://www.oipc.bc.ca/guidance-documents/1453
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:So have I and I've seen a lot. From drug deals, to guys peeing on the buildings, unruly behaviour and people sleeping in doorways, potential thieves checking vehicles etc. etc.

So basically u never saw a thing. None of that stuff is gonna get much response from police.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So between business owners, home owners, dash cams, cell phones and Google - the City really has everything covered.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:So have I and I've seen a lot. From drug deals, to guys peeing on the buildings, unruly behaviour and people sleeping in doorways, potential thieves checking vehicles etc. etc. The cameras weren't placed on a whim.

Where else are the unfortunate going to sleep? The City in it's wisdom harass them if they try to sleep in a park - contrary to the Abbotsford ruling that it is inhumane to not allow homeless to sleep in a public park.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2490964/abbo ... -in-parks/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

^^ been discussed on other threads
Downtown cameras with the potential to identify criminals is okay in my book.
Last edited by Fancy on Feb 19th, 2018, 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:So between business owners, home owners, dash cams, cell phones and Google - the City really has everything covered.

Maybe - if business owners follow the law. I know Google blurs faces and licence plates.

Now one can question why the city spends 7 figures every year on mass surveillance - amounts you would have a tough time deciphering from the public financial records released by the City
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Security cameras back in use in Yellowknife:
Signs must be posted where surveillance cameras are used — and the name and phone number of a city employee overseeing the cameras should always be on these signs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yel ... -1.4535427
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:Downtown cameras with the potential to identify criminals is okay in my book.

An ahhhhh moment - guilty until proven innocent. The law of the land ......in China. Let us know how you enjoy it over there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fz6adventure wrote:An ahhhhh moment - guilty until proven innocent...

I said criminals - like the ones caught in the act recently.
Last edited by Fancy on Feb 19th, 2018, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:Security cameras back in use in Yellowknife:
Signs must be posted where surveillance cameras are used — and the name and phone number of a city employee overseeing the cameras should always be on these signs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yel ... -1.4535427

A couple of interesting tidbits bits from the story:

the technology was used by some city staff, including the head of the municipal enforcement division, to allegedly zoom in on and ogle women.

The policy states the cameras can only be installed and monitored when deemed necessary to address a specific issue, when there isn't another way that's "less privacy-invasive" to address that issue.

the city held a secret meeting to discuss the inquiry, and no records were kept of that meeting.
Last edited by fz6adventure on Feb 19th, 2018, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

"We are not far off from a place where, if we go down this path, we'll have drone surveillance everywhere," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4536860

Drones next?

Return to “Central Okanagan”