Downtown cameras

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Downtown cameras

Post by Fancy »

Next week, Coun. Sam Merulla of Ward 4 will ask city council's general issues committee to consider reversing the bylaw.

Letting people get security footage of public property will help police investigations, Merulla said. And people can already film on the street anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4516987
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:
"We are not far off from a place where, if we go down this path, we'll have drone surveillance everywhere," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4536860

Drones next?

Brian Beamish, Ontario's Information and Privacy Commissioner, disagrees.

In a Feb. 13 letter, he told council this was "a significant privacy issue."

Changing the bylaw would violate the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Beamish said.

It would also capture personal information of "law-abiding individuals going about their everyday lives," he said.

Beamish's letter confirmed that there are "deep constitutional problems" with expanding the range of private cameras, he said
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:
Next week, Coun. Sam Merulla of Ward 4 will ask city council's general issues committee to consider reversing the bylaw.

Letting people get security footage of public property will help police investigations, Merulla said. And people can already film on the street anyway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4516987

"Privacy is not just a fundamental human right," she said. "It has enormous societal value. You cannot have fundamental liberty without privacy."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Kinda funny Jflem1983 is liking a post that I already posted the link to. Everyone can read the link without having to post the whole thing. But since you insist:

The city will study allowing residents to point their security cameras at the street.

But a council decision won't be made until city lawyers report back on the prospect, including concerns made public by Ontario's privacy commissioner Brian Beamish.

Councillors Sam Merulla and Lloyd Ferguson, also the police board chair, argue street-monitoring home cameras could hep police solve crimes. Right now, Hamilton bylaws ban home cameras from pointing anywhere other than a homeowner's own property.

But Beamish wrote to the city asking councillors to keep the bylaw, arguing it's a valuable protection of privacy.

He later told The Spectator he's uncomfortable with any government law change that sets out to "empower a private citizen to act as a police agent" via homeowner surveillance of the public realm.

At the same time, relatively few other Ontario cities currently enforce such a bylaw. Those include Milton, Oshawa and Brampton.

Coun. Matthew Green said Wednesday he shares some of the commissioner's concerns and plans to oppose a bylaw change if it comes to a council vote.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8135 ... at-street/
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

the city held a secret meeting to discuss the inquiry, and no records were kept of that meeting.

Kelowna city council are big fans of "secret meetings"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

^^ already posted.

Another court case using surveillance tapes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.4498994
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:
fz6adventure wrote:An ahhhhh moment - guilty until proven innocent...

I said criminals - like the ones caught in the act recently.

Not sure what or who was caught in the act recently???? is the trial over? Were they convicted or are they merely alleged to have committed a criminal act?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This why we need more cameras. I say, "Put them everywhere".

Capture.JPG

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219237
Bring back the LIKE button.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

alanjh595 wrote:This why we need more cameras. I say, "Put them everywhere".

First off I don't sanction violent criminal acts!

Seeing as though privacy is not important to you, I look forward to seeing your post of your picture, pictures of the family, vehicle particulars, licence plate, home address, social insurance number, passport number, and any other personal information you care to share. No big deal right?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

CBC Kelowna radio news just reported that Mandatory fingerprinting for healthcare workers is in full swing.

Some are objecting at the uncalled for collection of data from those who have not broken any laws.

Rats in headcage....yum yum
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If I had violated the CCC, then I would expect my personal information and video before, after, and during the violation to be used in court. Until then I don't plan on doing anything that is against the law, therefore I don't care if I am being watched by a government security camera.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Catsumi wrote:CBC Kelowna radio news just reported that Mandatory fingerprinting for healthcare workers is in full swing.

Some are objecting at the uncalled for collection of data from those who have not broken any laws.

Rats in headcage....yum yum

Obscene in the highest degree!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4539413

Notice that it is an RCMP program. I would have said it is up to you to prove that I am the other guy. Innocent until proven guilty - it is a fundamental right!
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

To hell with the paranoid kool-aid drinkers who act like this is an orson wells novel. Shove your irrational fears right up where the sub don’t shine. It’s simple, if you’re not a criminal, you have nothing to fear. The very presence of cameras can be a deterrent, and if it meana one less person robbed or beaten, totally worth it. “Voyeur fantasies”... don’t flatter yourself, honey.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

WheelWeaves wrote:To hell with the paranoid kool-aid drinkers who act like this is an orson wells novel. Shove your irrational fears right up where the sub don’t shine. It’s simple, if you’re not a criminal, you have nothing to fear. The very presence of cameras can be a deterrent, and if it meana one less person robbed or beaten, totally worth it. “Voyeur fantasies”... don’t flatter yourself, honey.

I've posted this prior but in light of your statement, I feel it worthy of re-posting.

I pity the weak that so easily give their freedom to a Master because they have no sense of self worth.

The government is not here to protect you - they are here to rule over you.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I think the time is quickly approaching that all babies born in Canada will be swabbed for a DNA sample and the results will be stored in a national data base.
All Canadian cash should contain an RFID in the bills so they can be tracked and who has possession of them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”