Downtown cameras

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby ferri » Feb 19th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Downtown cameras :topic:
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 44739
Likes: 14881 posts
Liked in: 9382 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby CapitalB » Feb 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm

ferri wrote:Downtown cameras :topic:


Sorry, sorry. It bridges so easily into other forms of state surveillance.

I still think my original post being concerned with the data security shown by local government should be the most worrying thing about our city wanting to have a bunch of cctv's downtown. Sure some of you are fine with them having all the footage, but how comfortable with all that being stored on a server in city hall with the password "password".
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 422 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby gsc » Feb 19th, 2018, 1:42 pm

I only see a couple problems with using drones even though it's a great idea.

1) drone battery life- many drones are only able to fly for a period of 15 to 30 min. Then the battery needs to changed out. So it must be flown back to the operator then back to where you left off.

2) weather- wind, rain and snow will ground most drones.

3) flight patterns- some of the worst roads are not fare from the airport. I'm not 100% on the distance needed but they can't be flown within a certain distance from any airport either.

The drone we use has amazing video quality and can record right to a SD card or cell phone. You would be able to catch people with out having to get super close in person.
User avatar
gsc
Board Meister
 
Posts: 500
Likes: 746 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Location: Kelowna B.C.

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby ferri » Feb 19th, 2018, 2:55 pm

ferri wrote:Downtown cameras :topic:
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 44739
Likes: 14881 posts
Liked in: 9382 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby goatboy » Feb 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

fz6adventure wrote:First off I don't sanction violent criminal acts!

Seeing as though privacy is not important to you, I look forward to seeing your post of your picture, pictures of the family, vehicle particulars, licence plate, home address, social insurance number, passport number, and any other personal information you care to share. No big deal right?


That's funny, didn't realize the camera downtown could get all that information either. Plus, big difference between posting your picture on an open website anyone to access and a camera system that is operated by the city. The day any of those images are posted to an open website without proper authorization is the day your argument becomes valid.

Bpeep likes this post.
User avatar
goatboy
Guru
 
Posts: 6017
Likes: 230 posts
Liked in: 1540 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby CapitalB » Feb 19th, 2018, 5:38 pm

goatboy wrote:
That's funny, didn't realize the camera downtown could get all that information either. Plus, big difference between posting your picture on an open website anyone to access and a camera system that is operated by the city. The day any of those images are posted to an open website without proper authorization is the day your argument becomes valid.


May as well be on the open web with canadas track record for data security.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 422 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 19th, 2018, 8:25 pm

When they tell you it's secure, do you believe them 100 percent ?
I do not..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

2 people like this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3965
Likes: 513 posts
Liked in: 2190 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 20th, 2018, 5:28 am

Then you should not be using the internet, because it is not secure.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6826
Likes: 2588 posts
Liked in: 3645 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 24th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I just watched a video on youtube, title was something like ....video the Kelowna RCMP dont want you to see..
I must say, they don't seem to react well in what some assume is a public place.
And the officer certainly exhibits aggressive behaviour, which they seem to downplay often.,

Food for thought, let's film everyone we can, but don't film us.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

2 people like this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3965
Likes: 513 posts
Liked in: 2190 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 24th, 2018, 5:43 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I just watched a video on youtube, title was something like ....video the Kelowna RCMP dont want you to see..
I must say, they don't seem to react well in what some assume is a public place.
And the officer certainly exhibits aggressive behaviour, which they seem to downplay often.,

Food for thought, let's film everyone we can, but don't film us.


Can you attach the link or PM it please
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 24th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Courtesy of the mayor.
Very few staff are able to view cameras and unless a crime or security incident is reported, video is deleted after approximately 30 days and video is only released to law enforcement agencies.

Of course we only have two law enforcement agencies in Kelowna, those being the RCMP and Bylaw Services - Both of which fall under the Police Act (ie Peace Officers). What is interesting about this is that it would seem the videos are released without a warrant - and thus warrantless searches. On a Charter challenge in the courts, the video would not be considered by the courts nor would any action precipitated by the video in the arrest be allowed as evidence.

I really am having trouble understanding exactly the benefit of the cameras......other than to ogle women such as the Yellowknife situation.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 24th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Just search Kelowna RCMP don't like video.
It's 26 minutes but watch the whole thing.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3965
Likes: 513 posts
Liked in: 2190 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 24th, 2018, 6:45 pm

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Just search Kelowna RCMP don't like video.
It's 26 minutes but watch the whole thing.



Thank you - Found it. Pretty aggressive policeman.

Funny thing - There at least a dozen cameras all around the building to capture everyone who walks along the fronting sidewalks and in the un-gated parking lot along Clement I'm betting these are owned and operated by the City because the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has the RCMP in line.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 24th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I have been thru that area hundreds of times, part of it was the old alley which they cutoff and added to the detachment land.I believe that took place 2015.
I am not clear on it , but I believe outside the security gate is public parking.. so wether this is public space or not, that concerns me.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3965
Likes: 513 posts
Liked in: 2190 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Bsuds » Feb 26th, 2018, 6:10 am

Just watched "The Circle" on Netflix and if you want an interesting view on cameras you need to watch it.

Mind provoking to say the least.
A Wise Man once said...Nothing!

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43132
Likes: 8943 posts
Liked in: 11352 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests