Downtown cameras

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby dle » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:39 am

I neglected to point out in another post that even though I'm in favour of the cameras and I believe that EVERY LITTLE BIT we do to try and stop even SOME crime is good, it is all MOOT if the cops don't arrest, and if the Judges don't sentence!

So it all comes back to only some people pulling their weight in the "putting the pinch on crime" campaign. The cops used to arrest but found it was a waste of their limited resources because it becomes paper-work hell only to have the Judge release the perps with no sentence.

The ol' catch and release system of Canada - yep. Now, what's our plan to stop THAT??? Then maybe we'll get somewhere.....

2 people like this post.
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 824 posts
Liked in: 1490 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby normaM » Feb 9th, 2018, 7:05 am

Maybe they can compile a "best of" photos of the streets of K Town. Usually the images they release of criminals could be nearly anyone wearing a hoodie. Personally don't care if there are cams up but not sure it prevents crime.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... u-confuse/
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16596
Likes: 5059 posts
Liked in: 3401 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 6:28 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 9th, 2018, 7:24 am

Might be helpful for the "Unsolved Crimes" on Castanet.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6664
Likes: 2496 posts
Liked in: 3594 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby JayByrd » Feb 9th, 2018, 7:44 am

fz6adventure wrote:
Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?


Ahhh, okay. I thought we were dealing with just one guy, not an international crime syndicate. So they grab a shot of me from the camera....say "enhance" and my pixelated face becomes crystal clear. They can also see I'm wearing a $3000 watch. They cross-reference my face through the database, and know my address, income, and that I have a Warhol original hanging over my bed. Voila. I feel like a fool now for putting my wall safe behind the Warhol.

You've got me convinced. Not about the risks of city-installed cameras, just convinced that I need to watch more movies.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3346
Likes: 648 posts
Liked in: 1388 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Steve-O » Feb 9th, 2018, 8:18 am

Move to England then. I hear its lovely[/quote]

What? Are you kidding me! Too many cameras. Might catch me picking my nose.

2 people like this post.
Steve-O
Übergod
 
Posts: 1119
Likes: 151 posts
Liked in: 435 posts
Joined: Aug 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Jhunter199 » Feb 9th, 2018, 8:22 am

fz6adventure wrote:Spoiler Alert - they already know who you are, where you live and how much money you have. Facial recognition is an amazing thing - they are just awaiting the right chance to clean you out. You don't really think the savvy criminal is going to make his own investment in surveillance cameras when you will do it for them?


I honestly think you're giving the deadbeat criminals too much credit here. I believe you put forth more effort into coming up with this scenario than they put forth ripping off change out of cars, and bikes out of back yards. The organized individuals in your savvy storey is not going to waste his/her time using his/her tech skills in hacking the camera's and facial recognition databases to rob a home owner for 7-10 cents on the dollar when they can just hack bitcoin for 70 million or tap into card readers and bank machines again.

2 people like this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 260 posts
Liked in: 343 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Woodenhead » Feb 12th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
Woodenhead
Guru
 
Posts: 5184
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 964 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:47 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 12th, 2018, 2:49 pm

fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 12th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I am so upset the cameras did not get set up when planned. .
Not... not ....not .. not at all actually.... [icon_lol2.gif]
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

fz6adventure likes this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3936
Likes: 501 posts
Liked in: 2153 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby voice of reason » Feb 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm

you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this

3 people like this post.
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 872
Likes: 3092 posts
Liked in: 947 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm

voice of reason wrote:you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this


You can help stop the erosion by writing a short and simple email to the Office of The Information and Privacy Commissioner. Their email address is [email protected]. It takes only a couple of minutes of time to do this.

The City is petitioning the OIPC aggressively to allow this expanding invasion of privacy, but if they hear from enough citizens that object, they will put the brakes on the City.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 12th, 2018, 5:46 pm

i will certainly send in my letter of support. Thank you for the link.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6664
Likes: 2496 posts
Liked in: 3594 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby dle » Feb 12th, 2018, 6:30 pm

voice of reason wrote:you will never have more rights than you have right now and they are being eroded away incrementally by things like this


Actually, our rights have been eroding for years in direct proportion to the rights of the criminals advancing.

It's good to actually see someone doing something to turn that particular ship around. I say go for it and the sooner the better.

I'm tired of thieves basically being vindicated by the lack of any punishment, in their thinking that it's ok to steal from me. It's ok to vandalize my car for kicks. It's ok to break into my house. It's ok to do whatever the heck they feel like doing as there will be no consequences. Well, for them anyway - there are big consequences for me every time they do it when I have to pay hundreds of dollars in deductibles out of my own pocket to fix things they wreck. For the hours I have to take off work taking my vehicle in for repairs, or looking for parts to try to get it fixed. For the sleepless nights I spend wondering who is wandering around my yard and are they going to try and enter my home and hurt us.

Don't talk to me about my rights being eroded away by someone actually trying to do something to deter crime. The more we do the better and it's LONG, LONG overdue. I want their butts thrown in jail and I will not give one hoot if the conditions aren't quite Hilton-like for their stay.
dle
Übergod
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 824 posts
Liked in: 1490 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 12th, 2018, 6:49 pm

dle wrote:Actually, our rights have been eroding for years in direct proportion to the rights of the criminals advancing.

It's good to actually see someone doing something to turn that particular ship around. I say go for it and the sooner the better.

I'm tired of thieves basically being vindicated by the lack of any punishment, in their thinking that it's ok to steal from me. It's ok to vandalize my car for kicks. It's ok to break into my house. It's ok to do whatever the heck they feel like doing as there will be no consequences. Well, for them anyway - there are big consequences for me every time they do it when I have to pay hundreds of dollars in deductibles out of my own pocket to fix things they wreck. For the hours I have to take off work taking my vehicle in for repairs, or looking for parts to try to get it fixed. For the sleepless nights I spend wondering who is wandering around my yard and are they going to try and enter my home and hurt us.

Don't talk to me about my rights being eroded away by someone actually trying to do something to deter crime. The more we do the better and it's LONG, LONG overdue. I want their butts thrown in jail and I will not give one hoot if the conditions aren't quite Hilton-like for their stay.



With all the camera's in the downtown core, If I were a criminal I would be looking to practice my craft where the cameras are not ....... like the residential areas! Plus, there is no evidence to suggest that increased surveillance acts as a deterrent to crime.

Surveillance is not going to change how the criminal justice system processes alleged crime.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 542
Likes: 845 posts
Liked in: 565 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Re: Downtown cameras

Postby Bpeep » Feb 12th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Peeps see a dust devil and it becomes newsworthy .
Lots of cameras and they can have more of them on the news.
I have a baseball for you. You're more than welcome to rent it.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28530
Likes: 12460 posts
Liked in: 9892 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 6 guests