The Westcorp hotel....

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: The Westcorp hotel....

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fz6. U have my vote. Id vote for a picnic lunch over Colon Basran
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Jflem1983 wrote:Fz6. U have my vote. Id vote for a picnic lunch over Colon Basran

Thanks.

The bullet points need to be explained - and ready to do so anytime.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hear hear,
I like and need to comment on 6 and 9. I like the whole plan.
Re #6 I am not versed in the laws of this at present times but..
In the 80,s or saw they passed laws that allowed cities to choise wether they would allow liquor in certain parks. KELOWNA CHOSE not to. I KNOW Sicamous chose to allow it at the park/launch under Hwy 1 bridge.
Apparently some if the decision makers have not seen Europe New Orleans, and a lot of the USA
Re #9 it has always saddened me what Kelowna has become.
It went from a city with a camping park, and many camprounds, affordable to a young family starting out.. to what we have now.
Today many things being built are unaffordable to at least 1/2 our population.
And people wonder why we liked it the way it was.

Looks like the Shuswap figured it out better than our town in many ways..

And thanks for your plan, it looks good..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Hear hear,
I like and need to comment on 6 and 9. I like the whole plan.
Re #6 I am not versed in the laws of this at present times but..
In the 80,s or saw they passed laws that allowed cities to choise wether they would allow liquor in certain parks. KELOWNA CHOSE not to. I KNOW Sicamous chose to allow it at the park/launch under Hwy 1 bridge.
Re #9 it has always saddened me what Kelowna has become.
It went from a city with a camping park, and many camprounds, affordable to a young family starting out.. to what we have now.
Today many things being built are unaffordable to at least 1/2 our population.
And people wonder why we liked it the way it was.

Looks like the Shuswap figured it out better than our town in many ways..

And thanks for your plan, it looks good..

Thanks.

With respect to #6, they want the increased density in the downtown core by building all the condos and apartment style buildings which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the infrastructure to support the increased density needs to be enhanced. Part of that infrastructure is facilitating the use of the parks for all the residents of the condos and apartments to use functionally. Ever try to have a family style bbq or picnic on a 5' x 10' balcony? It should not be against the law to have a bottle of wine or a couple of beer at a picnic in a park. There are laws already in place for public drunkenness so the key here is "responsible".
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

There is a good paper on responsible conduct for elected officials.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/briti ... onduct.pdf

How is the current City of Kelowna mayor and council performing in this regard?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It appears that if anyone says anything "negative " about this Westcorp hotel plan they are criticized about not wanting any kind of growth in downtown Kelowna.............WRONG. When I seen the FIRST plans and drawings I was good with it. What has pi$$ed people off here is that Westcorp has come back to the city "puppets" TWICE with changes. These were not minor changes or tweeks to the original plan.........they were major and for one reason........MAXIMIZE PROFIT! We have not heard the last from Westcorp on this and I still predict it will never be built..........certainly not by Westcorp.
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Delayed again, no suckers from Alberta.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cuba108 wrote:Delayed again, no suckers from Alberta.

Horgan made sure of that.
You and 71 others Like this post
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

so they are delaying it because of the Spec Tax ?? really ?? those 44 condos can't be sold to people who will live them in full time or rent them out full time ?? were all the potential buyers from out of province ??
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I'd imagine with the price of prime real estate right on the water front a new tax wouldn't be to distressing for the people who were going to purchase these units anyway.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

It will never be built. Add the hate Alberta tax, empty room tax on top of the property purchase tax, GST and plain old property tax. Get the hint, it's all about taxes.

Or is this another excuse to add more stories to make it viable and make it even more of an eyesore???
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

The speculation tax did not cause the delay in the new hotel. The delay is caused by the price point of the condos being built.

Local Kelowna residents do not make enough money per year to buy a one or two bedroom condo in downtown Kelowna. That's why 25% of downtown is empty. Have a look at how many lights are on in the condo buildings downtown at 6pm during the winter months, it's a ghost-town downtown.

In Vancouver and outlying areas the average price of a one bedroom condo edged past 540,000 dollars. That means the average family in Vancouver cannot afford to live in a one bedroom condo based on Stats Canada wage information for Vancouver (average household income 79K a year) let alone the fact a family couldn't actually fit into a one bedroom condo.

To get into a home in Kelowna with the new mortgage rules you need 160,000 dollars for a downpayment and you need to pull in 145,000/year to qualify, based on a 800,000 dollar average house price.

There is nowhere left to go boys. The jig is up.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Vacancyrate wrote:The speculation tax did not cause the delay in the new hotel. The delay is caused by the price point of the condos being built.

Local Kelowna residents do not make enough money per year to buy a one or two bedroom condo in downtown Kelowna. That's why 25% of downtown is empty. Have a look at how many lights are on in the condo buildings downtown at 6pm during the winter months, it's a ghost-town downtown.

In Vancouver and outlying areas the average price of a one bedroom condo edged past 540,000 dollars. That means the average family in Vancouver cannot afford to live in a one bedroom condo based on Stats Canada wage information for Vancouver, let alone the fact a family couldn't actually fit into a one bedroom condo.

To get into a home in Kelowna with the new mortgage rules you need 160,000 dollars for a downpayment and you need to pull in 145,000/year to qualify, based on a 800,000 dollar average house price.

Yaaaaas! While we (well, you and I by the sounds of things) know these skyrise and expensive condos are being built to target out of town buyers from wherever, and we know they ARE NOT being built for the average, or even well-paid, Kelowna resident, somehow they keep getting approved one after the other. What up with that eh? They are doing ZERO to help the affordable housing crunch, renters or buyers, although there are those who will say there will be some move-up buyers who will vacate a property leaving it for rental to someone else. Unfortunately, a lot of people absolutely refuse to rent to anyone anymore, having been left hanging with completely trashed property and no recourse because of the tenancy laws, so it's doubtful any rentals will become available from move-up buyers - they will simply sell their homes. The sellers will also be asking premium price for their homes in order to get the most bang for their buck to be "movin' on up"....so there won't be too many "affordable" homes coming along due to the skyrises either.
Rjamer
Übergod

Post by Rjamer »

Vacancyrate wrote:The speculation tax did not cause the delay in the new hotel. The delay is caused by the price point of the condos being built.

In Vancouver and outlying areas the average price of a one bedroom condo edged past 540,000 dollars. That means the average family in Vancouver cannot afford to live in a one bedroom condo based on Stats Canada wage information for Vancouver (average household income 79K a year) let alone the fact a family couldn't actually fit into a one bedroom condo.

To get into a home in Kelowna with the new mortgage rules you need 160,000 dollars for a downpayment and you need to pull in 145,000/year to qualify, based on a 800,000 dollar average house price........................................................................
Don`t be too hard on the "Debt Slaves" .. It isn`t easy trying to look like a millionaire on 79K a year and home equity loans..
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Rjamer wrote:Don`t be too hard on the "Debt Slaves" .. It isn`t easy trying to look like a millionaire on 79K a year and home equity loans..

Return to “Central Okanagan”