The Westcorp hotel....

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: The Westcorp hotel....

Post by WalterWhite »

Sorry alanjh595 - but using the Conservatory as an example to bolster any argument is not in one’s best interest, and I sincerely hope that whatever ends up getting built downtown never even remotely resembles that Glenmore abomination.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

WalterWhite wrote:Sorry alanjh595 - but using the Conservatory as an example to bolster any argument is not in one’s best interest, and I sincerely hope that whatever ends up getting built downtown never even remotely resembles that Glenmore abomination.

I din't bring "the Conservatory" into the debate, I was just replying to the previous poster and their use of the Conservatory as a point of reference. I strongly suggest that you read a couple of posts prior to mine before chastising me.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cuba108 wrote:I repeat what I stated months ago, Milroy does not have the big money needed to fund this project.In order to obtain financing he needs to get a sell out on pre sales, not going to happen so back to council for rubber stamping of a different white elephant.

I'm not actually aware of too many developers that do begin a large project without having a significant amount of pre sales. The banks would in fact demand it before putting their money at risk, and it's not as if developers proceed with all their own cash being put on the line.

The very same looming spec tax putting this project in jeopardy, is already generating the same results in other projects.

I've said all along the minute the banks get nervous about the unknown, you can bet they're going to rethink all their prospective commitments. They'd be shirking their duties if they didn't.

At this stage what remains to be seen, is how many dormant construction sites with ghost cranes, we're going to end up with.

Think 2008 only this time you can lay blame squarely on the NDP!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

alanjh595 wrote:Is there a time limit for completion? Because it is dead corner as it sits today.
Just look at the Conservatory today. It is not only complete for phase one, but phase 2 and 3 will be ready soon, phase 4 will be started this year.
What difference does this one project make to the entire Kelowna population?

The Conservatory is no where near being what was originally approved. Only phase 1 is as proposed. The rest is not even the same developer anymore and definitely not the original plan. What we are now left with is rather pathetic. A similar thing has also happened with the Central Green development. While I tend to be a little hard on our city staff and council, these developers should also be held responsible for the crap they bring to our city. If they can't do the job right, then maybe someone else should be brought in to do it. We are hardly the first city to build, well, anything......
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote:Is there a time limit for completion? Because it is dead corner as it sits today.
Just look at the Conservatory today. It is not only complete for phase one, but phase 2 and 3 will be ready soon, phase 4 will be started this year.
What difference does this one project make to the entire Kelowna population?

PDT wrote:The Conservatory is no where near being what was originally approved. Only phase 1 is as proposed. The rest is not even the same developer anymore and definitely not the original plan. What we are now left with is rather pathetic. A similar thing has also happened with the Central Green development. While I tend to be a little hard on our city staff and council, these developers should also be held responsible for the crap they bring to our city. If they can't do the job right, then maybe someone else should be brought in to do it. We are hardly the first city to build, well, anything......

Again...What difference does this one project make to you personally? It has been transformed from a individually owned condo into a rent-for-all complex. They have provided apartments "for rent", because this is what Kelowna needs. The last phase will include townhouses for families with children. There is a medical clinic, a Dairy Queen and several other needed services on the same property, that are accessed without even crossing a busy street.
What else do you want?
Okay, there is a multi-use park, with skateboarding, soccer, baseball, and other sports park being built as we speak within easy walking distance at Valley and Longhill. There is a small kids park right across the corner from this complex. there is a world class golf course within walking distance.
Not enough yet? There is a primary school 2 blocks away, an IGA and a SOF within 1 mile. A strip mall with everything from Sushi to hair cutting to McDonalds in the same area. Hell, there is even a Pub and a B&W store in the same mall.

NOW....you wanna tell me how this is bad for the lower income/renters this is?
holdin

Post by holdin »

Gee poor poor Westcorp!!--- I guess all the people they kicked out of Hiawatha(nothing happening there) are not going to buy in their new condo/hotel---maybe we should start a "gofundme" for Milroy
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

WalterWhite wrote:Sorry alanjh595 - but using the Conservatory as an example to bolster any argument is not in one’s best interest, and I sincerely hope that whatever ends up getting built downtown never even remotely resembles that Glenmore abomination.

The Conservatory is one thing, the addition of several more buildings is another that was in the plans years ago..........maybe not 4 buildings.

The DISGUSTING part of that complex is the strip mall. Of all the :cuss: :cuss: places to put something like this. Went in there for the first time to pick up a pizza and my god.........what kind of brain dead developer decided on this :cuss: hole. On top of that we have a mayor and council that approved this :cuss: eyesore. Again.........maximum profit for minimal expense.........GREED all the way to the bank and our city council is holding the bank door open for them.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

holdin wrote:Gee poor poor Westcorp!!--- I guess all the people they kicked out of Hiawatha(nothing happening there) are not going to buy in their new condo/hotel---maybe we should start a "gofundme" for Milroy

just say thoughts and prayers......
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

lesliepaul wrote:DISGUSTING part of that complex is the strip mall. Of all the :cuss: :cuss: places to put something like this. Went in there for the first time to pick up a pizza and my god.........what kind of brain dead developer decided on this :cuss: hole.

the icing on the cake is the abortion access. and when there is deliveries to the site there is no access from the long way in either.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

the icing on the cake is the abortion access. and when there is deliveries to the site there is no access from the long way in either.

[/quote]
As cramped as the new apartment complexes make the Conservatory location, you would think the area between them and Summit could have be a "small" greenspace or complex playground. BUT NOOOOOOOO! We want $$$$$!
:cuss: :cuss: Kelowna mayor and council and :cuss: the developer on this one.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just across Valley from the Conservatory, there has been 14 acres taken out of the ALR and rezoned Commercial. Here's the listing for it.
https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Agric ... 6-Glenmore
entertained

westcorp delay

Post by entertained »

Can someone tell me if the Westcorp high rise is a hotel or condo..What does spec tax have to do with the hotel business? Castanet states hotel delayed but then in article it's talking about condos.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: westcorp delay

Post by Urban Cowboy »

entertained wrote:Can someone tell me if the Westcorp high rise is a hotel or condo..What does spec tax have to do with the hotel business? Castanet states hotel delayed but then in article it's talking about condos.

It is to be a blend of both.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
entertained wrote:Can someone tell me if the Westcorp high rise is a hotel or condo..What does spec tax have to do with the hotel business? Castanet states hotel delayed but then in article it's talking about condos.

It is to be a blend of both.

Don't they also have retail on the street level too?
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

As I've stated in several other threads on this topic; Westcorp never intended to build a hotel here.

They said they were building a "hotel" but...

Several changes later including adding more condos and more arm twisting at City Hall for height variances they've decided to show their true Albertan colours.

I see this not as surprise but, along with the jump in gas prices, as an indication of how far Albertan power players have inculcated their way into BC.

Time to change this carpet bagging paradigm and take our province back.

Let them drink oil...

Return to “Central Okanagan”