The Westcorp hotel....

fz6adventure
Board Meister

Re: The Westcorp hotel....

Post by fz6adventure »

Article today

Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran is dismissing allegations he, or any of his councillors, let campaign contributions sway a decision to approve a 33-stroey hotel for downtown Kelowna.

The allegations have surfaced after council voted 5-2 in favour of the development proposed by Edmonton-based Westcorp, despite a strong recommendation of non-support from the city's planning staff.

The mayor, along with councillors Brad Sieben, Luke Stack, Gail Given and Mohini Singh all voted in favour of the project. All received campaign contributions from Westcorp.

Both Charlie Hodge and Ryan Donn, who voted against, did not receive contributions, although it's not clear if any were offered.

Basran says no one on council did anything illegal.

"I think it's ridiculous to think that, for a small amount of money, council's favour can be bought," said Basran.

"What these people often don't keep in mind is that we vote against people who have donated to our campaign in the past to. That goes by without a story."

Basran said that donation didn't weigh into his decision, and said it didn't weight into the decision of other councillors.

Westcorp president Phil Milroy contributed to the campaign's of all five candidates under flour corporate identities. He made contributions under Downtown Marina Inc. Westcorp Property Inc. Westcorp Property Management and Westcorp Property Management Inc.

Basran and Sieben each received contributions of $2,000, while Given, Singh and Stack received $1,000 each. Coun. Maxine DeHart also received $1,000 in campaign contributions, but she recused herself from the debate and vote because of her involvement in the hotel industry.

Back in the 1990's, the BC Court of Appeal ruled campaign contributions do not constitute a conflict of interest. That case involved a vote by Nanaimo city council.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -dismissed

Good to bring a wider audience into this.

Wish the story also had the timing details such as Stack receiving a donation a week after the election and Basran receiving all of his on the date of the election. We'll never likely know if they have curried other favours or money from Milroy - but we can be sure they will deny, deny, deny.

Sure like to know where council voted against major campaign contributors?

It would be good to have citizen surveillance of Basran and Milroy. Campaign contributions may not be illegal in the conflict sense, but these are only a part of the story!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Grandan wrote:I lived on Benvoulin Road on the far side of the mall from 1981 into the '90's. Friends wondered why we would want to move "way out there". You could see the lake from the 3rd floor apartments on the corner of Haynes Rd. If you have been around long enough to be able to see through to the lake when walking or driving then it was while it was still orchard land. Had the brain trust that was here when land was give away prices then they aught to have bought that cheap land and preserved it for future generations. Some local families bought lots of land and the reason why we have all the out of towners buying up land is because the locals who owned it sold out. Big time. The smart money developed it and leased it out.
You can't continue to blame out of town developers when at the same time the landed gentry continues to make a fortune off sales and leases of that land. If you really valued the lakeshore from the outset then the thing to do was to buy it and donate it to the city for parkland.
The city is attempting to do the next best thing which is to ensure that buildings are set back from the lake and residents and tourists alike will have access to the lake via Kerry park which has not been diminished in size. There is no going back, it is not the same place it was in the '80's. or the '60's.

40 foot Fred probably had a great view :D
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

"I think it's ridiculous to think that, for a small amount of money, council's favour can be bought," said Basran.

I think it's even more ridiculous that for a small amount of money it looks like favour did get bought.

Basran's *bleep*
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Those monies are easy to dismiss.
It's a small amount that's on the record.
I bet there's a lot more that isn't visible tho.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Such a suspicious statement. Why would an honest person use the qualifier of "a small amount of money" ? Is that to say that for a large amount of money it's entirely possible to buy councils favour?

I smell a rat.
Someone has to say it.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Would love to see the Tourism Kelowna books and see if there's ever been any Milroy "contributions" to funding their new directly adjacent waterfront edificeoffices, which - surprisingly was also rubber-stamped approved despite strong public objections.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

WalterWhite wrote:"I think it's ridiculous to think that, for a small amount of money, council's favour can be bought," said Basran.

I think it's even more ridiculous that for a small amount of money it looks like favour did get bought.

Basran's *bleep*

To what Basran said...I respond..
It's ridiculous to suggest that we could actually elect a mayor and council, the majority of which ignores the city planning department.
It's ridiculous to suggest that we could actually elect a mayor and council, the majority of which ignores the voice of citizens that come out in huge numbers, to voice their displeasure of a proposal at a public hearing.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:"I think it's ridiculous to think that, for a small amount of money, council's favour can be bought," said Basran.

Basran's *bleep*

To what Basran said...I respond..
It's ridiculous to suggest that we could actually elect a mayor and council, the majority of which ignores the city planning department.
It's ridiculous to suggest that we could actually elect a mayor and council, the majority of which ignores the voice of citizens that come out in huge numbers, to voice their displeasure of a proposal at a public hearing.

well said....
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

If Mayor and council are so above board, they should have never accepted any monies in the first place.
Don't forget the big business groups and developers that pushed for this Mayor and council will for sure get involved again during the municipal elections. Its sad to see that so many people that moved here because of scenery, style of living, smaller town so less driving vs big cities, and cost of housing, are most likely the same people that voted for this council that is destroying the very essence of what Kelowna was.
I have a strong feeling the hotel will never be build. Westcorp has now what they wanted a couple of times. So the property with all approvals in place is now worth a lot more. Just like Hiawatha park.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Here is what I dont get...
Say you got 6 people had a contribution from this developer, I assume it could be returned? Yes or no.
You would think that several, or at least one, thinking individual would sit back and say hey, this could look bad in the future.
I mean I am sure other folks running for office around the world have thought this way..
Maybe some folks are just wired in a way , that they just can say No.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I laughed when I heard that there was no conflict of interest in Westcorp contributing to Basran's campaign.

I'm sure someone must have done a study to see what areas of downtown/lakeshore will be affected by the shadow cast by this behemoth, or is that too much to hope for.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

techrtr wrote:I laughed when I heard that there was no conflict of interest in Westcorp contributing to Basran's campaign.

I'm sure someone must have done a study to see what areas of downtown/lakeshore will be affected by the shadow cast by this behemoth, or is that too much to hope for.

a concern of mine with the high massive towers as well - no sunshine on the ground around them....not a lot of fun in a smaller summer city! Well, not a lot of fun anywhere actually...
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Here is what I dont get...
Say you got 6 people had a contribution from this developer, I assume it could be returned? Yes or no.
You would think that several, or at least one, thinking individual would sit back and say hey, this could look bad in the future.
I mean I am sure other folks running for office around the world have thought this way..
Maybe some folks are just wired in a way , that they just can say No.

There's the ARROGANCE of all involved in these back room dealings..........they do not care what it looks like. They have gotten away with it time and time again and too many voters are oblivious to it. That's what they count on. Rules are made to be broken but usually with a fight...........not in Kelowna and especially with this group of council puppets.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219823

another part of the article allegations of conflict for the donations says:

Back in the 1990's, the BC Court of Appeal ruled campaign contributions do not constitute a conflict of interest. That case involved a vote by Nanaimo city council.

How can it not constitute conflict of interest? Logically it could certainly sway some people....this rulling should be reviewed!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

From what I've loosely looked at to this point, the Nanaimo conflict issue is somewhat different, in that it was to do with Councillors that had previously recused themselves with concern of a conflict of interest, at a later date rejoining the issue and casting votes pertaining to a proposal/project they had earlier deemed themselves in conflict. Different scenario here.

Return to “Central Okanagan”