The Westcorp hotel....

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Westcorp hotel....

Post by LANDM »

entertained wrote:
no I wasn't aware landm. It sounds like you know a lot about it...I will still wonder about it though. If you are aware of it, tell me what they said. Are they equipped to fight a fire on the top floor?

*removed*
As part of the development process, for all appropriate developments in virtually every area of B.C. (non native land), the application will be referred out to many parties that must comment prior to a development advancing forward to the next stage.

The fire department is one of many and, as a result, the professionals who matter, (in this case, the fire department) will give professional comment specifically on this development along with any and all challenges it will pose and their recommendations for it.

I do not know what they said, but I know 100% that they have had all opportunity to comment specifically on their ability to fight a fire in the building, including the top floor. Since I am not a professional firefighter, what I or others think about it is irrelevant since that is not my area of expertise. I have complete trust that they know what they are doing as they know their capabilities for that specific design of a building and what the BC requirements are for fire suppression and minimizing loss of life and property damage.

I realize that you are curious about it and would urge you to go to the city development services and ask them what the fire department comment was on this development.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Private message a moderator or myself with questions.
You and 71 others Like this post
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

lesliepaul wrote:
zerograv wrote:Lol westcorp is a very large developer with extremely deep pockets....all this B.S. about money troubles is unfounded and slanderous. They wouldn't spend millions for world renound architects to design the building if they were just planning on selling the land.

I get it you don't approve of the building, but to pull a bunch of B.S. out your cornhole is silly.

These are luxury condos on the waterfront in one of the fastest growing regions in Canada, if you don't think they will sell then you should just leave because you have no idea what you are talking about :up: Don't be shocked when you see this building sell out in one day.

Borrowing lots of others money or relying on "pre-sales" does not qualify as "deep pockets". Aquilini's have deep pockets, Jim Pattison has deep pockets...........heck, Al Stober has deep pockets.

Never mentioned I do not approve of the building..........location is my issue and the "coming back to the trough" (City Council) for change after change after change IS A RED FLAG in my books.

Lol No developer builds a building like this without borrowing capital and having presales. That's how it works [icon_lol2.gif] Aquilini, Pattison and Stober all do the same
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

LANDM wrote:
entertained wrote:
no I wasn't aware landm. It sounds like you know a lot about it...I will still wonder about it though. If you are aware of it, tell me what they said. Are they equipped to fight a fire on the top floor?

*removed*
As part of the development process, for all appropriate developments in virtually every area of B.C. (non native land), the application will be referred out to many parties that must comment prior to a development advancing forward to the next stage.

The fire department is one of many and, as a result, the professionals who matter, (in this case, the fire department) will give professional comment specifically on this development along with any and all challenges it will pose and their recommendations for it.

I do not know what they said, but I know 100% that they have had all opportunity to comment specifically on their ability to fight a fire in the building, including the top floor. Since I am not a professional firefighter, what I or others think about it is irrelevant since that is not my area of expertise. I have complete trust that they know what they are doing as they know their capabilities for that specific design of a building and what the BC requirements are for fire suppression and minimizing loss of life and property damage.

I realize that you are curious about it and would urge you to go to the city development services and ask them what the fire department comment was on this development.

You're absolutely correct, and all of these recommendations from the various agencies involved are typically compiled and presented in a summary report to council by the planning department - you know, the same planning and development experts that this mayor and council feel they're more informed and enlightened than and chose to completely ignore.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

zerograv wrote: They wouldn't spend millions for world renound architects to design the building if they .........

........ didn't know what the vote results would be beforehand!

Funny - all 5 "for" votes came from recipients of significant campaign contributions. Just a coincidence, not a conspiracy????
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

WalterWhite wrote:You're absolutely correct, and all of these recommendations from the various agencies involved are typically compiled and presented in a summary report to council by the planning department - you know, the same planning and development experts that this mayor and council feel they're more informed and enlightened than and chose to completely ignore.

I don't see any "expert" opinions from them though. The only quotes I see is that they said it looked overwhelming and it's not something the public would want. It's obvious that the public does want it and you don't need to be any special training to determine visual appeal.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fz6adventure wrote:
zerograv wrote: They wouldn't spend millions for world renound architects to design the building if they .........

........ didn't know what the vote results would be beforehand!

Funny - all 5 "for" votes came from recipients of significant campaign contributions. Just a coincidence, not a conspiracy????

i'd hardly call $2000 a "significant" campaign contribution [icon_lol2.gif]
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

johnny24 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:You're absolutely correct, and all of these recommendations from the various agencies involved are typically compiled and presented in a summary report to council by the planning department - you know, the same planning and development experts that this mayor and council feel they're more informed and enlightened than and chose to completely ignore.

I don't see any "expert" opinions from them though. The only quotes I see is that they said it looked overwhelming and it's not something the public would want. It's obvious that the public does want it and you don't need to be any special training to determine visual appeal.

There's just a little bit more involved to the process than "visual appeal" Johnny.

I strongly suggest anyone interested in facts and an actual account of what transpired during this council meeting to set aside some (considerable) time and glean the proposal submission (starting on page 20), including document submissions compiled here:

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... ntId=10830

I've just begun perusing this, but have already noticed a similar trait in comments from the planning and development department:

Staff acknowledge that some flexibility to building height policy could be rationalized, but not to the extent
as proposed.

The streetscape and public realm
along Water Street is an important issue and staff cannot recommend support for increasing the massing
and height of the podium.

These are not the meeting minutes, but compilation of the variance request proposal and planning department. Summarized partially as such:

1.0 Recommendation
THAT Council NOT authorize the issuance of Development Permit No. DP17-0191 for Lot 1, District Lot 139,
ODYD, Plan EPP77920, located at 289 Queensway Ave, Kelowna, BC.
AND THAT Council NOT authorize the issuance of Development Variance Permit DVP17-0192 for Lot 1,
District Lot 139, ODYD, Plan EPP77920, located at 289 Queensway Ave, Kelowna, BC.
2.0 Purpose
To consider staff recommendation of non-support of a Development Permit for the Form & Character
Development Permit of a 33 storey hotel & luxury condo tower project with two levels of underground
parking and a mixed-use 6 storey podium. To consider staff recommendation of non-support of a
Development Variance Permit for four variances related to the maximum building height, podium height &
size regulations as well as to consider a reduction in the number of loading stalls.
3.0 Community Planning
3.1 Development Permit and Associated Variances
Staff are recommending that Council not support the proposed Development Permit and associated
variances. The proposal’s overall size, height and massing are overwhelming for the subject property and its
unique downtown context. The property is in close proximity to a number of culturally significant places
including Kerry Park & Stuart Park, the Sails, Okanagan Lake, the historical character of Bernard Avenue and
and City Hall. In addition to creating shadowing impacts on these lower scale spaces, the proposal’s built
form may create an overpowering visual presence lacking the sensitivity and integration that development
of the subject property needs. By virtue of the size and prominence, the proposed building may impact the
qualities that some people value in the surrounding public spaces.
The proposal is not without merits in regards to some components of the project. The mixed-use component
of the project is strong containing not only a hotel and residential units, but also commercial retail units, a
restaurant and café at ground level, a second publicly accessible restaurant on the 16th floor, and a conference
space as part of the hotel. In addition, the design quality of the ground-oriented spaces adjacent to Kerry
Park and Queensway should create a positive public/private interface.
DP17-0191 & DVP17-0192 – Page 2
However, of more significance and weight, the applicant is proposing a height variance from 76.5m (26
storeys) as outlined in the Zoning Bylaw to 131m (33 storeys). The height variance and its impact is further
accentuated by relatively large tower floor areas (i.e. width of the tower) and two further variances for the
six-storey podium structure. It has never been the City’s intention to achieve the region’s tallest tower on
this property and public policy states that contextual fit with the surrounding public realm and neighbouring
buildings are of utmost importance.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

- and a visual comparison of where it started (including the OCP guidleine) to what it's come to:

2018-02-23 (2).png
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Again, it begs the question - why did the city spend years and countless thousands of dollars creating a planned growth and development of the downtown core - only to have an uneducated and inexperienced mayor and council completely disregard it?

2018-02-23 (1).png
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

zerograv wrote:i'd hardly call $2000 a "significant" campaign contribution [icon_lol2.gif]

Feel free to check it out for your self.

http://contributions.electionsbc.gov.bc ... earch.aspx
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fz6adventure wrote:
zerograv wrote:i'd hardly call $2000 a "significant" campaign contribution [icon_lol2.gif]

check out what?
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

zerograv wrote:
fz6adventure wrote:

check out what?

Who, how much and when the contributions were made. The size of Milroy's contributions outstrips others and Basran's were received sometime on election day (maybe after the results????). Half of Milroys contribution to Stack was a week after the results.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

LANDM wrote:
entertained wrote:

*removed*

I learned a few months ago that with tall towers like this our fire department requires a "refuge room" every x number of floors. In that fireproof room there are oxygen tanks and hoses among other equipment - so they don't have to carry all their heavy equipment up a staircase 30 floors! I found that really interesting.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fz6adventure wrote:
zerograv wrote:check out what?

Who, how much and when the contributions were made. The size of Milroy's contributions outstrips others and Basran's were received sometime on election day (maybe after the results????). Half of Milroys contribution to Stack was a week after the results.

I don't care who, how much and when.....lol do you honestly think there is some kind of conspiracy going on? especially when the information is easily accessed by EVERYONE?

Why not just pay them cash under that table [icon_lol2.gif]
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

zerograv wrote:I don't care who, how much and when.....lol do you honestly think there is some kind of conspiracy going on? especially when the information is easily accessed by EVERYONE?

Why not just pay them cash under that table [icon_lol2.gif]

Zerograv, you may not care and I'm okay with that. I'm more of a realist than a conspiracy theorist and typically make sure I have the facts. On these, I can tell you the facts that are undisputed are:

The last municipal election was held on November 15, 2014
    All candidates are required under law to file disclosure statement itemizing their receipt of campaign contributions.
    All candidates filed their signed disclosure statements with Elections BC
    Milroy, through his companies, contributed $8,000 to mayor and council candidates in the last municipal election.
    Milroy only contributed to 6 members of the current council.
    Mayor Basran's receipt of the $2,000 campaign contribution from Milroy was on November 15, 2014 (time of day uncertain)
    Councillor Sieben received two $500 contributions from Milroy.
    One of Councillor Siebens $500 contributions from Milroy was received 7 days after the election on November 22, 2014
    The only 'for" votes on the motion of the DVP approval came from only those that received campaign contributions from Milroy.
    Councillor DeHart received a $1,000 campaign contribution from Milroy.
    Councillor DeHart recused from voting on the DVP
    The City of Kelowna Planning Department is staffed by professional Planners
    The City of Kelowna Planning Department recommended that Council not approve the DVP.

I can't tell you whether or not those that voted to approve the DVP application receive other compensation from Milroy, either in a "cash under the table form" or other manner. I don't have that information.

I can't be certain that all citizens know where to look for proof on the matter of campaign contributions - I can, so help out where I can.

It is up to the broad citizen base to determine from the facts if they are concerned whether or not Council voted on the application in good faith and the result was in any way, suspect. I think you know which way I lean.

I hope I've addressed your concern adequately. Thank you for giving me the opportunity
Last edited by fz6adventure on Feb 23rd, 2018, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”