The Westcorp hotel....

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: The Westcorp hotel....

Post by Scrobins94 »

The current city council lacks vision. We could have had a unique waterfront, one without high rises right by the water. One more inviting and you know, open and natural. But of course, they wanted to be the "heros" who brought this to Kelowna. They wanted their names attached to something with big impact.

I am not against a hotel of this size, just not by the waterfront, or say 3 blocks from it. The podium is too big. This is a Westcorp wins and everyone else loses scenario. By the way, doesn't Westcorp own a piece of land by Pandosy/Hwy-97?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I on the other hand will be voting exclusively for the people who approved this, and not the ones who didn’t.

Thankfully my vote counts for just as much as yours. Let’s see how the rest of kelowna votes. Based on the overwhelming support expressed for this during the council meeting, I would prepare for disappointment if I were you.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Scrobins94 wrote:The current city council lacks vision. We could have had a unique waterfront, one without high rises right by the water. One more inviting and you know, open and natural. But of course, they wanted to be the "heros" who brought this to Kelowna. They wanted their names attached to something with big impact.

I am not against a hotel of this size, just not by the waterfront, or say 3 blocks from it. The podium is too big. This is a Westcorp wins and everyone else loses scenario. By the way, doesn't Westcorp own a piece of land by Pandosy/Hwy-97?

Having a bunch of old 1 story buildings along the waterfront did not give kelowna a unique waterfront. It made us about the same as every other small nimby town. Or something you can find all over BC.

Having a one of a kind conference centre and landmark shining brightly from the downtown core to see as you come down the bridge approach however does add to the uniqueness of our city, don’t believe it? Then just wait until you see it on all of kelowna’s merchandise alongside the bridge and ogopogo. Skylines represent cities. And we’re going to have one whether you like it or not.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Omnitheo wrote: Skylines represent cities. And we’re going to have one whether you like it or not.

If it ain't broke don't Westcorp it...
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

If ain’t broke don’t fix it...I mean the building westcorp replaces was a dull grey 2 story stripper bar. I’m not sure what your definition of not broken is...but that’s basically an anti-progress attitude. Why do anything at all ever?

Before we had any of these new modern buildings, the city mostly looked like a bomb was dropped on it if you’ve ever hiked up the mountains to look down upon it. Thankfully it only continues to look better (the downtown that is) though there is still plenty of room for improvement.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Omnitheo wrote: Before we had any of these new modern buildings, the city mostly looked like a bomb was dropped on it if you’ve ever hiked up the mountains to look down upon it. Thankfully it only continues to look better (the downtown that is) though there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Entirely subjective. Some consider tall glass towers beautiful and some consider them eye sores. Just like some people would love to vacation in a big busy city and some in a sleepy fishing town. Neither right nor wrong. It's the location, lack of amenity improvements and amendments to original proposals that are the controversies.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

The whole argument of needing to build it to 33 stories to be feasible is BS. It's the buyer's responsibility to determine if a venture will be feasible based on the current zoning. To me it's just bs that any sort of city planning goes out the window because some bs reason like it not being "feasible". To that I say to Westcorp they should do their f*ing homework before buying the land. This is a prime spot and deserves respect to city planning. Or did Westcorp buy it with knowledge ahead that they'd be able to do whatever they wanted? Or is city council really that naive? Or perhaps some backroom greasing?

Why the f* would someone gamble buying a piece of land not knowing if it would be feasible? I for one don't believe big businesses like to gamble. To me these hearings are just formalities. F* the current city councillors.

By the way, my biggest issue is not even the height. The podium is too ridiculously big.

If built this thing will create a more somber feel northwest to northeast of it, where the shadows fall.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Don't even get me started by calling me a NIMBY. The city planners themselves recommended against it. You know, people who are experts in this subject.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Scrobins94 wrote:The current city council lacks vision. We could have had a unique waterfront, one without high rises right by the water. One more inviting and you know, open and natural. But of course, they wanted to be the "heros" who brought this to Kelowna. They wanted their names attached to something with big impact.

It is not City Council that comes up with the vision, it is the proponent. It is up to council to agree or disagree.
Westcorp already had 27? stories in the bag, from a distance back you will not see the difference.
This development is not on the waterfront, it is across from a park that is on the waterfront.
The last time I looked, the cost of waterfront is double what it was when this project got started and I don't see anyone donating it the way Simpson's did. If not for Simpson's vision there would already be hotels from the bridge to the Tolko Mill.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Grandan wrote:It is not City Council that comes up with the vision, it is the proponent. It is up to council to agree or disagree.
Westcorp already had 27? stories in the bag, from a distance back you will not see the difference.
This development is not on the waterfront, it is across from a park that is on the waterfront.
The last time I looked, the cost of waterfront is double what it was when this project got started and I don't see anyone donating it the way Simpson's did. If not for Simpson's vision there would already be hotels from the bridge to the Tolko Mill.

So, what you’re saying is that decades ago, had one family not had the foresight to preserve the lakeshore for the sole benefit of generations to come - it would have been ruined years ago. Got it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If I'm not wrong there are 6 parks along waterfront from the bridge north to Poplar point.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:If I'm not wrong there are 6 parks along waterfront from the bridge north to Poplar point.

All cuz of simpson covenant. City goes to great lengths to break this covenant all the time. Wastes money in court even. City greed is a deep ditch
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Grandan wrote:It is not City Council that comes up with the vision, it is the proponent. It is up to council to agree or disagree.
Did you miss the part where the City "sold" Mill St. to Westcorp so their development could be right on the waterfront? The street is going to disappear and Kerry Park will essentially become the backyard to this tower.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:If I'm not wrong there are 6 parks along waterfront from the bridge north to Poplar point.

Jflem1983 wrote:All cuz of simpson covenant. City goes to great lengths to break this covenant all the time. Wastes money in court even. City greed is a deep ditch

Only 1 of those parks is on simpson covenant lands.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Scrobins94 wrote:Don't even get me started by calling me a NIMBY. The city planners themselves recommended against it. You know, people who are experts in this subject.

I think it is a stretch to call Kelowna city planners "experts" in the design, construction and marketing of luxury hotels. If it was a bad deal or poor location it would never be built. Maybe it won't be built, then you can say the planners were right.
The proponents negotiated the best deal they could with the best the city had to offer. I'm sorry you think it is a loss for Kelowna. I think it is a win.
I think that the planning dept had no choice but to go against it, that way nothing will stick to them.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”