Deer cull in Okanagan

Deer cull in Okanagan

Postby fishertwo » Feb 8th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Back in 1990 I owned a sports shop here in Kelowna.the game wardens came in and asked if, As president of the traditional bowhunters of bc, That maybe I could come up with some archers that would like to participate in a bowhunt for deer that needed to be culled in west Kelowna. Well needless to say it sounded great. So they gave us Half a dozen permits to take 6 deer and see how it worked. This was in Feb,the idea sounded great at the time. march of 1990.However arrows do not kill as quickly as a bullet. This is not news as every bowhunter knows. The first deer taken was shot through the heart ,lungs. A perfect 15 yard shot. the deer still ran 40 yards and died on the side of the street where 5 or 6 kids were waiting to get on the school bus, the deer was taken away right away, but too late. The kids had seen.I drew my bow to take a very short shot, And saw a man and wife watching from their front room window, I put my bow down and left, Three deer were taken. Now the bucks drop their antlers in Jan and Feb. If we would have thought about this , It is unlikely we have have participated, As the three deer killed each had twin fetuses. as you can't tell the difference between bucks and does very easily. We stopped it and I informed the fish and wildlife that it was my opinion ,that if the orchardists wanted to protect their property. BUILD A HIGHER FENCE. the problem would be rectified.Killing of these 9 deer did nothing to help the problem. they just keep coming back, so , as a hunter I would sooner see the landowners bite the bullet, and fence their land.that is my humble opinion.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... im-at-deer

10 people like this post.
fishertwo

Liked in: 17 posts

Re: Deer cull in Okanagan

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 8th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Great insight and first hand knowledge and experience.
Methinks BCFGA needs to hear your important input.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2498 posts

Postby Ptolemy Soter » Feb 8th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Your experience is is important. Thank you for sharing it.

However, plenty of hunters would disagree with your assertion that a bow kill is not as quick as one from a rifle. Often this is the case, yes, but not as a rule.
Moin!

Fortune favours the bold!

gsc likes this post.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Liked in: 106 posts

Postby blueliner » Feb 8th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Yes the orchards + vineyards that are having this issue with deer just build a deer proof fence . Cant blame the deer , there just looking at a easy meal , just like a downtown food kitchen .
But wait knowing the tree fruit industry they wouldn't spend any $$ out of there own pocket to do it :cuss:
Don't think Rona or Home Depot got a government grant to build there fences :topic:

normaM likes this post.
blueliner

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Feb 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

If the cull is approved it should only be allowed on the orchardists property. There should be a stipulation requiring the orchardist/farmer to have the animal dressed and butchered by a licensed butcher shop and then donated to the food bank or soup kitchen.
We See
We Judge

2 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1027 posts

Postby lensbaby » Feb 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:If the cull is approved it should only be allowed on the orchardists property. There should be a stipulation requiring the orchardist/farmer to have the animal dressed and butchered by a licensed butcher shop and then donated to the food bank or soup kitchen.

Better still - don't approve it. Deer are a way of life in the valley. Anyone having an issue with that should sell and move to the city.

3 people like this post.
lensbaby

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Feb 8th, 2018, 4:31 pm

We are in the city, it's called Kelowna.
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1027 posts

Postby blueliner » Feb 8th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:We are in the city, it's called Kelowna.

Well that city was at one time not long ago the tradition winter range for the deer .

2 people like this post.
blueliner

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby MAPearce » Feb 8th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Open fire .....
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3447 posts

Postby bidwell2 » Feb 8th, 2018, 6:19 pm

The deer don't do appreciable damage to the orchards. Orchardists these days lease multiple acreage and it's all about scraping another million $ out of the cherries. Fences just push the deer onto the roadways. If they try to cull the deer on my property i will sue.
bidwell2

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2018, 6:28 pm

bidwell2 wrote:If they try to cull the deer on my property i will sue.
To get the meat?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

KiloHotel likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 5434 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 8th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Here is my personal concern about the downtown Kelowna deer: God knows I have hit a deer when I first started driving. It was on Hwy 33 out in the middle of nowhere between Rock Creek and Beaverdell. The deer came up over the side of the road suddenly and the van I was driving spun completely around and I was facing the other way. No traffic, only a deer hurt in a ditch and needing to be put down.

Back to downtown: try hitting a deer here and spinning and not hitting another vehicle. Or person, or cyclist or pedestrian.

It's not that I find deer droppings in my gardens.
it's not that a deer can be aggressive and attack.
It's not that a deer has no or few resting places now that every damn wildlife corridor has been built on by developers.

It's safety for people.

Lords knows I have deer and fawn photos from Rotary Marsh. And of them crossing Water Street and going into the corridor.

Enchanting? Of course, everyone loves to see the deer families, when they're young. Dangerous? Yes.

I have to agree a cull needs to be done. So sad for all. Usually I'm a live and let live person too.
Terror Twins Inc. Catsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.

On-line Gossip: Unless you have proof, all you have is slander and libel.

Fancy likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11247 posts

Postby techrtr » Feb 9th, 2018, 8:05 am

Leave deer alone. We're taking over their habitat so they're moving into ours. I'm sick of people whining about wildlife in the city. Move to the concrete jungle if you don't like it.

5 people like this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 780 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 9th, 2018, 8:47 am

Zero reason to have a herd of deer taking over a neighbourhood - cull them.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

KiloHotel likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 5434 posts

Postby Thinktank » Feb 9th, 2018, 9:01 am

Here's where math is important again. If the deer "keep coming back" which they do,
then it will be impossible to kill 100% of the deer.

So - kill some of the deer. Just kill a percentage - fifteen deer per year - in the orchards. Not near schools or cities.

We killed all the geese in Penticton so rich wealthy
people downtown wouldn't have dirty shoes when they walk in the park. We slaughtered 100% of the geese and no
one had a problem.

So why not slaughter a few deer every year. And leave a few.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 504 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan