Deer cull in Okanagan

Re: Deer cull in Okanagan

Postby bidwell2 » Nov 18th, 2018, 10:17 am

Not sure what all this talk is of orchards and living in the city in the same breath. If you live in the middle of orchards then you're not in 'the city'. As far as I'm concerned set out a boundary that defines 'residential' neighbourhoods and exterminate everything within the boundary (except the city folk of course) - birds, insects, mammals, fish. Sterilize it - just nice little developments where all the houses look the same and the pretty flowers can produce perfect l'il blooms. Anybody who wants that environment can live there. Tell you what, my father was a CO for many years, and more than anything he was sick of responding to calls about loud chickadees and squirrels running on the roof. He would probably have voted in favour of sterilization.

If that's not your thing, then move out to the 'countryside'. Problem we have out here now - it's being sterilized. Cherry orchards popping up everywhere, and 'deer' fences going for miles. You think deer are the only wildlife problem in an orchard? What about birds? An old orchardist once told me, he leaves the cherries at the top of his trees for the birds, he writes them off. It was his concession to the wildlife. What else is being sterilized around the cherry orchards? Most likely everyone who lives within a mile. Check out what they are spraying in the middle of the night, and ask any old timer what he thinks of them.

So there you go, we'll soon have the whole valley free of pests (except the human kind), and all so the orchardist elite can afford that 10,000 sq foot house. Anybody who thinks that the poor sod farmer scraping by makes up more than a single digit percentage of the agriculture in the valley is so out of touch.

As for the deer cull in your neighbourhood - sure thing. But after it's done, stay in your house, stay in your neighbourhood. Don't come out here.

wanderer likes this post.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Liked in: 75 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 18th, 2018, 10:34 am

Coun. Luke Stack asked if a change in hunting regulations could have some impact on the deer population.

While he doesn't have specific numbers, Stewart says the regional biologist indicated they are looking at limited entry hunting. He says those permits would allow hunters to target mule deer at lower elevations. Of the 25 permits issued last year, 20 were successful.

"They are looking at implementing 50 this year, and ... 100 next year."
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7396 posts

Postby wanderer » Nov 18th, 2018, 12:58 pm

bidwell2 wrote: Sterilize it - just nice little developments where all the houses look the same and the pretty flowers can produce perfect l'il blooms.

Ha that reminded me of the 60's song about all the ticky tacky little houses all in a row ... the small ones, the big ones, the pink ones, the green ones ...

I'm going to declare my property "in the city" a deer safe zone. I don't feed them but if they wish they can come hang out here.

Triple 6 likes this post.
wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 467 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 18th, 2018, 2:23 pm

You might sing a different tune when there's a couple of dozen and pets become threatened.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7396 posts

Postby Ken7 » Nov 18th, 2018, 7:57 pm

bidwell2 wrote:Not sure what all this talk is of orchards and living in the city in the same breath. If you live in the middle of orchards then you're not in 'the city'. As far as I'm concerned set out a boundary that defines 'residential' neighbourhoods and exterminate everything within the boundary (except the city folk of course) - birds, insects, mammals, fish. Sterilize it - just nice little developments where all the houses look the same and the pretty flowers can produce perfect l'il blooms. Anybody who wants that environment can live there. Tell you what, my father was a CO for many years, and more than anything he was sick of responding to calls about loud chickadees and squirrels running on the roof. He would probably have voted in favour of sterilization.

Do you realize there are orchards in Glenmore, and across the street is Town houses and four story Apartment / Condo complexes?

The other day I was driving up Dilworth and no less then seven mule deer were on the road side. These same deer bed down in the backyards on the hill.

Sorry not sure where you live but it must be down town.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3037 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan