Fortis Hydro Time of Use Rates.

pentona
Übergod

Re: Fortis Hydro Time of Use Rates.

Post by pentona »

Can someone please explain to me why Fortis wants to charge more during certain hours of the days? (unless they have to buy it from someone else but who is that someone else)? During the daytime, staff would get normal wages, overnight they might to pay a premium rate? I don't know; am just asking. Funny how the price of Natural Gas or Oil doesn't change during various hours of the day (though I suppose if they had meters that could measure "time of day", that could change). But why?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

just popping in wrote:Often wonder if Fortis employees get a discount.

Nope .. but they get paid THICK ..

They don't have to worry about payin the bill. Or dentistry , optical care , their pensions , getting sick et al....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

pentona wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Fortis wants to charge more during certain hours of the days? (unless they have to buy it from someone else but who is that someone else)? During the daytime, staff would get normal wages, overnight they might to pay a premium rate? I don't know; am just asking. Funny how the price of Natural Gas or Oil doesn't change during various hours of the day (though I suppose if they had meters that could measure "time of day", that could change). But why?

Because the less you use , the less they collect . Meaning the "company" can't pay the things I mentioned above .

So , to make up for it they over charge for an abundant , clean source of energy ...

What time do you use the majority of your electricty ? I'll bet a rupee that it's during the times that Fortis ( and BC Hydro) want to charge you the most for .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

MAPearce wrote:Because the less you use , the less they collect . Meaning the "company" can't pay the things I mentioned above .

So , to make up for it they over charge for an abundant , clean source of energy ...

What time do you use the majority of your electricty ? I'll bet a rupee that it's during the times that Fortis ( and BC Hydro) want to charge you the most for .

Yes, I imagine that I use the most power between 4 and 8pm. But if it doesn't cost them any more to produce it at any certain time of day, and they don't buy it from someone else, then why charge more at certain times? I am missing something here. I use the same amount of power during a 24 hr period; makes no difference when I use it (same as gas or oil).
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

when

There's the rub , huh ?

That's what they want us to believe. It's not "how" you use it , but when . On the current two tier system , our family of four NEVER exceeded usage to bring us in to the second tier , or higher rate.

But now we WILL pay more just . because . they say so .
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

My aunt has Electric Baseboard Heat ONLY Single Level 850 Sqft Home

$400 November
$400 December
$500 January
$400 February

We just called Fortis today after seeing the .22c Rate coming.

They are putting in a Gas Line: $25.00 install + $250 for Pipe-Fitting (Helping Installer) + Permit + $1000 for Vent-less Gas Fireplace $1300-$1500

30,000 BTU running 12 hours a day for 30 days $70.00 + $12.00 Delivery $82.00 per Month......(Won't need it 12 hour either)

30,000 BTU should heat the little house just fine.

Switching from Electric Heat to Gas heat will pay off in those 4 months.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

kelowna_proud wrote:My aunt has Electric Baseboard Heat ONLY Single Level 850 Sqft Home

$400 November
$400 December
$500 January
$400 February

They are putting in a Gas Line: $25.00 install + $250 for Pipe-Fitting (Helping Installer) + Permit + $1000 for Vent-less Gas Fireplace $1300-$1500

30,000 BTU running 12 hours a day for 30 days $70.00 + $12.00 Delivery $82.00 per Month......(Won't need it 12 hour either)

Indeed it will ... While you're at it , look into a Rinnai (sp?) hot water heater .
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

This new system was designed and constructed with only one thing in mind for Fortis.
Make more money. They have done the math and know full well that when implemented the bottom line will be more money for them. To think they are doing it for any other reason is wrong.
Yes they will do their best in their "sell job" to us and the government will also support it as it too means more taxes. Boom.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

zoo wrote:This new system was designed and constructed with only one thing in mind for Fortis.
Make more money. They have done the math and know full well that when implemented the bottom line will be more money for them. To think they are doing it for any other reason is wrong.
Yes they will do their best in their "sell job" to us and the government will also support it as it too means more taxes. Boom.

Yeah ..... sigh ...
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

BCUC are the ones that have to approve this. And for the life of me I don't understand why everytime these guys ask for more money, BCUC gives it to them. Just what the heck is going on between the 2? something's not right that's for sure
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

FortisBC has systematically forged a monopoly on the utilities in British Columbia, and our various governments have not only allowed it to happen but have enforced it. The Liberal Party started it, and the NDP are now running with it.

Why is it that if you run your car on electric power our government will subsidize you for your "environmental efforts" of using clean energy, but if you run your house on electric power, you will be penalized for being a drain on resources? How is it okay that certain car owners are being financially rewarded, while certain home owners will be hard pressed to keep their kids warm and fed between the hours of 4 pm to nine pm, the so-called "peak hours"?

If anyone can explain how this system makes any sense, please do.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

MAPearce wrote:
kelowna_proud wrote:My aunt has Electric Baseboard Heat ONLY Single Level 850 Sqft Home

$400 November
$400 December
$500 January
$400 February

Indeed it will ... While you're at it , look into a Rinnai (sp?) hot water heater .

Definitely will look into a new Tankless water heater! Maybe wait for the electric one to bust down 1st....I remember a while back someone at Home Depot saying the ground water is too cold for Tankless and would cost a bundle to use a Tankless......The magic line (Like an equator) for using one is south of the state of Oregon I think.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

pentona wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Fortis wants to charge more during certain hours of the days? (unless they have to buy it from someone else but who is that someone else)? During the daytime, staff would get normal wages, overnight they might to pay a premium rate? I don't know; am just asking. Funny how the price of Natural Gas or Oil doesn't change during various hours of the day (though I suppose if they had meters that could measure "time of day", that could change). But why?

There are many possible reasons, such as cost of running certain more expensive systems when higher capacity is needed, etc. If you read this link below, you might find some possible answers. It's not entirely a money grabbing scheme as some people might think.

http://blogs.edf.org/energyexchange/201 ... icing-101/

Luckily in our new home we bought laundry machines with timers.
spooker

Post by spooker »

To service our electricity needs there has to be the capacity to generate the electricity to match that demand ... so if we want to drive up the demand during peak hours that means more equipment has to be brought online

Our peak demand is what Fortis has to build capacity for ... estimated to be 10,000MW during the cold dark times of the year ...

If we could smooth out the curve by adjusting when we're all running our dryers etc then the peak demand gets lower and we could see cheaper prices ...

Just like the fact that the recommendation when you have an electric car is that you juice it after midnight so that it doesn't add to peak demand ...

Watching everyone complain about how it's a play for your wallet just when you need the electricity just reminded me that you can lead a horse to the internet but you can't make them read ...
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

spooker wrote:If we could smooth out the curve by adjusting when we're all running our dryers etc then the peak demand gets lower and we could see cheaper prices ...

A good way to smooth out those power costs on a personal level would be to set up something like the tesla battery and run power expensive appliances off it and charge that up through the grid in the off hours.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Central Okanagan”