Moose On The Loose

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Moose On The Loose

Post by TreeGuy »

Moose roaming Glenrosa.

And here is why they should not put this story in the media. Hopefully he finds his way home peacefully.

5CB91932-7D10-430D-A5D5-41B0243DDC36.jpeg
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Moose On The Loose

Post by normaM »

soon there will be calls for a moose cull :/
We had one once back home, beautiful beautiful creature
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Over-Easy

Post by Over-Easy »

Saw that moose and It was not full grown. It was skinny and weak from hunger or illness. Most likely why it came out of the woods into the Residential area. Right now it is coyote food but sill hope it makes it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

normaM wrote:soon there will be calls for a moose cull :/
We had one once back home, beautiful beautiful creature

I doubt it .. Only when you see them by the dozens will that ever happen .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Ma - yea I was trying to make a weak joke.
Need to see at least 13 moose before there is a panic
I hope it doesn't become coyote food, but if the poor thing is suffering
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

normaM wrote:I hope it doesn't become coyote food, but if the poor thing is suffering

That is quite typical at this time of year, especially with all the snow we have had. Food is hard to come by and it will probably fatten up as soon as things start to grow again. The only reason it is in a residential neighbourhood is because of the lack of food in the higher locations.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Over-Easy wrote:Saw that moose and It was not full grown. It was skinny and weak from hunger or illness. Most likely why it came out of the woods into the Residential area. Right now it is coyote food but sill hope it makes it.

I wonder if the hot dry summer contributed to lack of decent food for the moose population?

It did mention there being several around, so maybe it just hunger and not sickness, so they get some food at this elevation.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

normaM wrote:Ma - yea I was trying to make a weak joke.
Need to see at least 13 moose before there is a panic
I hope it doesn't become coyote food, but if the poor thing is suffering

Got it norma.... But it is Mother Nature's way of "cleaning house" ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Old Techie wrote:
Over-Easy wrote:Saw that moose and It was not full grown. It was skinny and weak from hunger or illness. Most likely why it came out of the woods into the Residential area. Right now it is coyote food but sill hope it makes it.

I wonder if the hot dry summer contributed to lack of decent food for the moose population?

Yes, it did. The deer I got this past year was about 20 lbs lighter than same age/same area deer I got the year before. Not much for fat reserves for them this year.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

Yes, it did. The deer I got this past year was about 20 lbs lighter than same age/same area deer I got the year before. Not much for fat reserves for them this year.

I suspected as much. I mean even here in the valley bottom all the grass in the wooded areas around me was dry as straw, which would make it fairly useless as food, so the poor creatures really have to forage hard to survive.

No surprise they are attracted to residential areas, where irrigation has kept lawns and such much greener.

I hope not too many die, that has to be a terrible way to go.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

From the picture it is clear that moose is not starving or sickly. It does have a couple of 'growths' on its neck and shoulder but those do not jeopardize its health. A wart like virus is passed from moose to moose through cuts and scrapes which often occur during mating. Unsightly but harmless. Also could have a few ticks but nothing to indicate impending doom.

The word moose means 'twig eater' in some native dialect and at this time of year that is their primary diet. During winter they feed on the tips of willow branches which are well above the snow level and not hard to find. They will also strip the bark off aspens and alders. A moose will spend days on end holed up in an aspen grove stripping the trees of their bark. This is easily recognized by the teeth marks at the top of the stripped bark.

Like deer, the enzymes in their stomachs change with the seasons and they can only survive by eating the materials the seasonal enzymes can digest. As spring approaches their metabolism changes to allow the consumption of primarily aquatic plant growth which also contains all the salt and minerals they are needing after a winter of twigs and bark. This is why in Spring so many are seen on the roads...attracted to the salts after the winter.

It is the depth of snow which makes movement laborious and energy consuming force them down from the higher elevations. Less work = less food required.
Someone has to say it.
Over-Easy

Post by Over-Easy »

The picture looks way better then what it looked from 20 feet away. It turned very slowly by the mailboxes on Glen Eagles almost in a stagger. From the view from his rear showed no meat at all just skin over the hind quarters. Before he turned he did not look to bad, just skinny from the winter but as mentioned, from the back it was a totally different view. On another note, my wife says I look way better in pictures then I do in real live. Dam getting old sucks, now if I could only look as skinny as that moose from the back Im good to go.
chips71xx

Post by chips71xx »

We have spotted one in our yard as well in Lake Country.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

The Glenrosa vagabond moose is still hanging around;

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218719

Lo and behold it's photographed eating twigs.
Someone has to say it.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Let's remember that it's a large mammal and often unpredictable.

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/218759/Moose-attacks-family-pet
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”