East Indians need not apply

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

East Indians need not apply

Post by Catri »

Wow, this is so sad and infuriating. You know there racists among us, but you seldom see them parade it so blatantly. Shame on them.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218792
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: East Indians need not apply

Post by LTD »

lol
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

What if the prospective tenant is "East Indian" but not a student?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

should have just left that part out and weeded them out the old fashioned way like every other landlord does to all the people they dont want to rent to
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

It's funny, because you hear a lot of people claim that racism, sexism, etc. don't exist any more, or are at such low levels that it has no real effect, and then you see ads like this. Isn't it great living in such enlightened times /sarcasm
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

They posted their exact address with the ad... and the phone number too... I was tempted to call them with my best East Indian accent (all Russell Peters like) and ask if it was still for rent and if they'd consider giving me a student discount. :biggrin: :200:
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

So without beating around the bush, what if this landlord simply did not want the smell associated with East Indian homes getting into his home? This isn't racist, it's a legitimate concern for any landlord. There doesn't have to be a negative connotation added to this. If anybody cooked that food in their home for long periods of course it would linger.

Is it racist to think like this? Is it illegal to turn away a renter based on ethnic smell? Am I warped just to have thoughts like this?? :smt045 Not my intention, just trying to make sense of why a Canadian would put something like this on an advertisement. They could have turned away East Indian applicants without putting this in their ad.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

He could have put it this way.

Room for rent must speak engrish with no tan on skin. Nordic back ground with third generation roots to white traders from Quebec . Must be able to cook in microwave only and no curry dishes allowed.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Danielson99 wrote:So without beating around the bush, what if this landlord simply did not want the smell associated with East Indian homes getting into his home? This isn't racist, it's a legitimate concern for any landlord. There doesn't have to be a negative connotation added to this. If anybody cooked that food in their home for long periods of course it would linger.

Is it racist to think like this? Is it illegal to turn away a renter based on ethnic smell? Am I warped just to have thoughts like this?? :smt045 Not my intention, just trying to make sense of why a Canadian would put something like this on an advertisement. They could have turned away East Indian applicants without putting this in their ad.

we cook stinky yet delicious meals all the time including lots of EI type meals. Our home does not have any odor associated with the food we cook.

You are suggesting that without a doubt any EI will cause odors in a home. Not true at any level.
Someone has to say it.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

years ago I was looking to buy a condo in North Van to rent out. I went to view one and the current tenant was home during the showing, he was cooking his lunch at the time, fish-heads in a toaster oven in August with the windows closed and the AC off, he knew what he was doing ... lol
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

generalposter wrote:
Danielson99 wrote:So without beating around the bush, what if this landlord simply did not want the smell associated with East Indian homes getting into his home? This isn't racist, it's a legitimate concern for any landlord. There doesn't have to be a negative connotation added to this. If anybody cooked that food in their home for long periods of course it would linger.

we cook stinky yet delicious meals all the time including lots of EI type meals. Our home does not have any odor associated with the food we cook.

You are suggesting that without a doubt any EI will cause odors in a home. Not true at any level.

uh ya it is true very much so
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Verum wrote:It's funny, because you hear a lot of people claim that racism, sexism, etc. don't exist any more, or are at such low levels that it has no real effect, and then you see ads like this. Isn't it great living in such enlightened times /sarcasm

I’ve seen many, many ads that clearly state “females only”. That’s clearly sexism but nobody says anything about it. I don’t agree with this landlord but it’s his/her own property and they can decide whomever they want living there. Who knows why they don’t want east indian students maybe it has nothing to do with racism and has everything to do with a previous encounter.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you are correct this is not about being racist, i have had many east indian friends over the years, it is what it is the spices that
they cook with daily make it so, - the smell does linger, i could eat east indian food everyday if i had too , i love it ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Google the address and dig a little. I did. Oh, and I think the politically correct term is South Asian.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Verum wrote:It's funny, because you hear a lot of people claim that racism, sexism, etc. don't exist any more, or are at such low levels that it has no real effect, and then you see ads like this. Isn't it great living in such enlightened times /sarcasm

It's only racist if a white person does it .

That's the sad part .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”