East Indians need not apply

LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: East Indians need not apply

Post by LTD »

you can hire based on age sex skin color religion and whatever else suits you ya just cant advertise it
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

No comment in that ad regarding smokers, weed, types of Asians etc.? Me thinks the excuse that this is regarding "smell" and such is just bologna. The real reason is the simple fact that the person is racist.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

AlienSoldier wrote:No comment in that ad regarding smokers, weed, types of Asians etc.? Me thinks the excuse that this is regarding "smell" and such is just bologna. The real reason is the simple fact that the person is racist.

Yup. Exactly. The ad is quite clear. They want someone to pay them monthly to live in their suite, but that person can not be East Indian. It's pretty clear what excluding a group of people based on their "race" is.

If it was about cooking odors, then the add would have been worded differently. Lots of people, outside of the Indian culture cook with spices that are malodorous.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

LTD wrote:you can hire based on age sex skin color religion and whatever else suits you ya just cant advertise it

And when you get caught you can go to court and lose. Most don't get caught, but is the risk really worth it?
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Hmmm wrote:^^^ You may not be racist or prejudice, but you are ill informed. You may not have a problem with what you stated, but the law of Canada does. Period. You cannot hire based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity. So you are welcome to it not bothering you, but it doesn't matter, because the law disagrees with you and everyone like you.

I don't think you have a clue what you can and can not do. Our own PM and our Government hire based on sex, religion and ethnicity so I'm pretty sure all Canadians can too. Trudeau wanted more women, so he hired 'women only'. He wanted certain ethnicity, so he hired 'non-white only'. Surely you can understand the hypocrisy of stating our law disagrees with that but yet we all practice it.

You're very welcome to believe people can not hire or rent based on race, sex or ethnicity....but the reality is that we do and for good reason.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ wow. You really believe you can legally discriminate? The answer is you cannot. I have three decades of business experience and I can say without a doubt you cannot discriminate based on age, sex, religion or gender. Period. But go on and believe what you wish. Maybe you have 4 decades of business experience to my 3 so you probably know better.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dont care what the law says. If someone is a problem to work with. They need to work elsewhere. If its age sex or religion that makes them a problem. What is anyone to do ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Danielson99 wrote:
Hmmm wrote:^^^ You may not be racist or prejudice, but you are ill informed. You may not have a problem with what you stated, but the law of Canada does. Period. You cannot hire based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity. So you are welcome to it not bothering you, but it doesn't matter, because the law disagrees with you and everyone like you.

I don't think you have a clue what you can and can not do. Our own PM and our Government hire based on sex, religion and ethnicity so I'm pretty sure all Canadians can too. Trudeau wanted more women, so he hired 'women only'. He wanted certain ethnicity, so he hired 'non-white only'. Surely you can understand the hypocrisy of stating our law disagrees with that but yet we all practice it.

You're very welcome to believe people can not hire or rent based on race, sex or ethnicity....but the reality is that we do and for good reason.

The CHRI is a statute passed by the Parliament of Canada in 1977 with the express goal of extending the law to ensure equal opportunity to individuals who may be victims of discriminatory practices based on a set of prohibited grounds such as sex, sexual orientation, race, marital status, gender identity or expression, ...
Canadian Human Rights Act - Wikipedia
sillykitty

Post by sillykitty »

OK so everyone is saying you can't discriminate on a whole host of reasons. (See all above posts) But then how do places in Kelowna get away with ageism?? For example some places you have to be 55 plus. others 60 plus. Maybe it does't apply to rentals, but try as a young person, go to an "Open House" at one of these places in Kelowna that have a minimum age requirement and see how you are treated.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Hmmm wrote:^^^ wow. You really believe you can legally discriminate? The answer is you cannot. I have three decades of business experience and I can say without a doubt you cannot discriminate based on age, sex, religion or gender. Period. But go on and believe what you wish. Maybe you have 4 decades of business experience to my 3 so you probably know better.

ya i can actually if i don't like the color of your hair i wont hire you if i don't like the sound of your voice you wont live in MY rental don't like it to bad its my choice i don't care how many years of business you have I'm sure i have just as many i hire who i choose want to try and take it to court good luck lol
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Verum wrote:
LTD wrote:you can hire based on age sex skin color religion and whatever else suits you ya just cant advertise it

And when you get caught you can go to court and lose. Most don't get caught, but is the risk really worth it?

lol [icon_lol2.gif]
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

sillykitty wrote:OK so everyone is saying you can't discriminate on a whole host of reasons. (See all above posts) But then how do places in Kelowna get away with ageism?? For example some places you have to be 55 plus. others 60 plus. Maybe it does't apply to rentals, but try as a young person, go to an "Open House" at one of these places in Kelowna that have a minimum age requirement and see how you are treated.

Because thats legal ...

There are some situations where age distinctions are allowed such as:
• A landlord can restrict rentals to people 55 and older in an all seniors building.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/law-c ... nation.pdf
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Well we all know that LTD is part of the problem. Racist and prejudice. And if the Mods don't like me saying this, then they should also remove LTD discriminatory and racists comments which he so clearly expressed. If that is allowed, then calling them what they are is allowed. Unless of course we're supposed to pretend to be stupid.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

theres nothing racist or prejudice about me or my post i hire who i want and i rented to who i want my decision i decide it would seem that you don't have the intelligence to figure that out tho which would be reason enough for me not to hire or rent to you to
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Hmmm wrote:^^^ wow. You really believe you can legally discriminate? The answer is you cannot. I have three decades of business experience and I can say without a doubt you cannot discriminate based on age, sex, religion or gender. Period. But go on and believe what you wish. Maybe you have 4 decades of business experience to my 3 so you probably know better.

fyi, people legally discriminate every day all day 24/7,when it comes to jobs, not sure were you have lived all your life but it goes one,--ALL-- THE TIME -- its not because the law says you can not discriminate that business owners do not when they hire people,
if i owned a business, and was hiring people for the position , i would hire who i want to that is best suited for the job, not what the govt is telling me to do
if i want to hire a woman i will hire a woman
if i want to hire a man i will hire a man
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”