AirBnB taxable

reidabix

Re: AirBnB taxable

Post by reidabix »

Hmmm wrote:
reidabix wrote:Love it, tax the hell out of them. Freaking pain in the behind Air BNB. Give the legit Bed and Breakfasts and Hotels a fair chance. Doss houses suck they always have, call it some fancy name like Air BNB but it is still a flop house. :up:

Can you maybe rewrite this in English please? What is Doss house and how have they always sucked? Are we talking about Airbnb’s here or what?

The English Oxford dictionary is a great thing try it some time. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/doss
If that is unclear here is a description and a bit of history on a Doss house from another source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flophouse
I also think the flops should be subject to fire inspections as hotels do, be required to carry proper insurance, and have a business license.
I suggest you read this
https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... entId=3133 :smt045
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

reidabix wrote:The English Oxford dictionary is a great thing try it some time. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/doss
If that is unclear here is a description and a bit of history on a Doss house from another source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flophouse
I also think the flops should be subject to fire inspections as hotels do, be required to carry proper insurance, and have a business license.
I suggest you read this
https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... entId=3133 :smt045

What you are talking about and the average Airbnb are two different things. There are many nice ones run by nice people so saying that they "suck" really is weird, as you couldn't possibly know. Maybe you know of a few, but you certainly cannot say they all suck. I read the reviews on them before booking to make sure they are glowing and also current. I will continue to use Airbnb's all over the world, as I have been doing for many years, probably a year or so after they launched.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Again AirBNB = Dosshouse the definition fits
from WIKI
A flophouse (American English), doss-house, or dosshouse (British English) is a place that offers very cheap lodging, generally by providing only minimal services
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

reidabix wrote:Again AirBNB = Dosshouse the definition fits
from WIKI
A flophouse (American English), doss-house, or dosshouse (British English) is a place that offers very cheap lodging, generally by providing only minimal services

Again, how can you say Airbnbs suck when they are all unique? You can't. Also they really are not all that cheap. Maybe a hostel is more of a flop house then a $200 a night home? And providing very minimal service, do you mean a full kitchen, pool table, 3 bedrooms, a sauna and hot tub as being minimal service?
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Hmmm wrote:
reidabix wrote:Again AirBNB = Dosshouse the definition fits
from WIKI

Again, how can you say Airbnbs suck when they are all unique? You can't. Also they really are not all that cheap. Maybe a hostel is more of a flop house then a $200 a night home? And providing very minimal service, do you mean a full kitchen, pool table, 3 bedrooms, a sauna and hot tub as being minimal service?

Easy to say, They SUCK!
That is my opinion you are welcome to yours.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

You are welcome to your opinion, but just making a blanket statement like that is pretty immature. Its the same as saying don't buy shoes in shoe stores, they suck. Don't eat out at restaurants, they suck. You get the point?
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

reidabix wrote:Easy to say, They SUCK!
That is my opinion you are welcome to yours.

Interesting, I've been on both sides of AirBnB and feel the complete opposite.

I'll continue to use it both when traveling and rent our suite out as an extra source of income. Your comments suggest you've likely never tried it.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

alanjh595 wrote:I have a friend that has started a similar concept. It is for the family and friends that have loved ones in the Cancer clinic, and/or are from out of town that need to be close to their family members during a stay at KGH.
The home is within a 5 minute walking distance of the hospital, has adequate off-street parking, and is self contained. Should they also be taxed for wanting/needing to be close to their loved ones too?

So what your saying is because he's providing a service to families with loved ones that have cancer taxes shouldnt be collected?

With that logic shouldn't all expenses be a tax write off?
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

reidabix wrote:Give the legit Bed and Breakfasts and Hotels a fair chance. :up:

The funniest statement I read all morning and yes it's your opinion, however this statement shows how valid your opinion is. By no means are hotels struggling as there are plans for new hotels to be built all over the Okanagan. You can find an article here every couple weeks about it. Most hotels are fully booked all summer and I am willing to bet the nicer B&B's are as well. I will also continue to use Airbnbs everywhere I travel.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Hmmm wrote:You are welcome to your opinion, but just making a blanket statement like that is pretty immature. Its the same as saying don't buy shoes in shoe stores, they suck. Don't eat out at restaurants, they suck. You get the point?

I just do not want to have to write the same thing over again, here is why they suck....

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73438
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Gixxer wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:I have a friend that has started a similar concept. It is for the family and friends that have loved ones in the Cancer clinic, and/or are from out of town that need to be close to their family members during a stay at KGH.
The home is within a 5 minute walking distance of the hospital, has adequate off-street parking, and is self contained. Should they also be taxed for wanting/needing to be close to their loved ones too?

So what your saying is because he's providing a service to families with loved ones that have cancer taxes shouldnt be collected?

With that logic shouldn't all expenses be a tax write off?

All of those "expenses should be covered under the Medical Plan. After all a patient with close family support will get better and faster than all alone in a hospital full of strangers. Just think about a 6 year old child from Williams Lake in a situation like that, and having to go through Chemo treatments all alone.
These people don't want to be here, they MUST be here to support their child.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ so you could say you have had a bad experience with one. That would be a reasonable post but saying they all suck sounds childish, like you have a something wrong with you. I read your rant about your neighbour and I’m sorry that they suck.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

motokelowna1 wrote:AIRBNB should be banned in my opinion it is the root cause for massive rent increases and unnecessary strain on all housing markets....

The only thing AirBNB is guilty of is giving homeowners a way to fill vacancies - unfortunately this has the effect of making it incredibly easy for travellers to use up those vacancies at rates that beat the traditional Hotel/Motel/Etc market for what travellers are looking for.

I see another problem, personally. AirBNB is certainly not the root cause.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

If the business has resident caretakers they are usually keeping things organized and peaceful. However many houses (VRBO)are used as party central and create huge issues for parking, noise and not contributing to the tax base locally,provincially or federally. They stuck off the taxpayer teat and should be clamped down on .When neighbours complain the perpetrators are usually long gone by the time bylaw officers can “ investigate “ This happens over and over in neighbourhoods everywhere. Imagine living next door.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Kelowna needs Airbnb too because the hotels/motels are very expensive and it prohibits many from visiting here.

Just how much cheaper would Airbnb's be if they had to face the same licensing requirements, zoning requirements, health and safety requirements/inspections, etc, etc, as hotels?
Did the last Airbnb you stayed at even have a fire extinguisher? Were you made aware of the escape route in case of a fire? Were there secure locks on your door? Was there offstreet parking? Was there staff there 24/7 for your safety and convenience?
All these items cost money and are requirements for a hotel/motel. Would Airbnb's still be so much less expensive if they were put on a level playing surface with hotels/motels like they should be?
In addition to being licensed, inspected and regulated just like hotels/motels and having the provincial tax being collected the City of Kelowna should also be charging and collecting the 3% local tax from Airbnb that our hotel/motel guests are forced to pay as well as having the opperaters income from their Airbnb declared on the homeowners personal taxes. Fair is Fair

Return to “Central Okanagan”