Snow on vehicles

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Snow on vehicles

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Most cars have heated rear windows so why don'y they make heated tail lights?

Screw that - heated wipers/windshields should be standard and not just an option on a handful of cars.

Meanwhile in Europe ...

... they get all the cool stuff.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 19th, 2018, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

69cutlass wrote:As for the tail lights being blocked this is the fault of vehicle manufacturers as older filament bulbs produced enough heat to melt away any accumulated snow on the tail lights. Led tail lights dont produce any heat so tail lights get covered and stay covered.

Xenon and LED headlights are just as bad - snow and ice freeze on those pretty quickly.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Dizzy1 wrote:Might be "cut and dry" in the "regs" - not so much in the real world. If it were so "cut and dry", everyone of us would be breaking the law at any given time on a trip down the highway. And you guys are just as guilty of not cleaning your taillights and plate while stopped just as much as we regular folks are - can't even begin to count the times I've seen your fellow crew in blue pull into a Timmie's and leave again not cleaning their snow covered lights or plates.

Ahh....the ol' "Ya? well I saw a cop leave a donut shop and do [this]" routine. That's always good for furthering a productive dialogue, Dizzy.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:

Ahh....the ol' "Ya? well I saw a cop leave a donut shop and do [this]" routine. That's always good for furthering a productive dialogue, Dizzy.

Just pointing out that the regs aren't so "cut and dry" in the real world. So instead of citing some text, suggest a bit more of a constructive solution as to when one is expected to safely clean ones lights and plates which is plausible in the real world - from the view of someone who has the authority to ticket us for failing to stop every 15 minutes on the side of a blizzard filled highway :up:
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Dizzy1 wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:

Just pointing out that the regs aren't so "cut and dry" in the real world. So instead of citing some text, suggest a bit more of a constructive solution as to when one is expected to safely clean ones lights and plates which is plausible in the real world - from the view of someone who has the authority to ticket us for failing to stop every 15 minutes on the side of a blizzard filled highway :up:

ummm...I thought I had.

KL3-Something wrote:It doesn’t mean that once in a while, and particularly once a driver hits town, they shouldn’t get out and do a walk around and knock the snow off the tail lights and the licence plate.

No one else is going to do it for you.

yup...i did

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Kinda simple really, if someone gets pulled over for obscured lights
the first question needed to answer is, "Where ya comin' from ?"

Answer, "home, 6 blocks away" time for a written warning or citation.

Answer, "Big White" time to get them to step back and clear their lights,
recommend they stop at the pullout @33 or the Brake-Check next time to
check that all is good. Simple.

Not really all that difficult to understand.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I didn’t think it was either.

momma2a.sage

Post by momma2a.sage »

I find it interesting how not a single person in this forum has mentioned that it was clearly a window in which was covered in snow and SHOULD be visible from the drivers peripheral (rear view mirror). It was not just a portion of the vehicle that is already obstructed (e.g., the body of the vehicle), it was an area in which most (if not all) drivers should be using to watch traffic and pedestrians around them. If the driver is that neglectful to not realize that there is snow obstructing their view to the rear of their car, they really shouldn't be driving.

Those who argue about driving up and down from Big White, have clearly never lived up there on a regular basis/driven up or down for work during all seasons. I personally had lived there for 4 years and NOT ONCE did I ever experience this type of accumulation of snow on the back of my vehicle. Even if there was a complete white out and the snow landed in that particular area, it was taken care of either by removing it or by using my rear windshield wiper. If I ever experienced a situation (which I have not) where it was completely obstructed, I would find a safe place to pull over and use my brush to take it off. All drivers should be prepared for any type of weather.

Either way, even if the person reporting the story was also being reckless and careless by speeding and taking photos while he should be driving.... he is correct in the fact that the van in question was not taking due care to the safety of others. It takes 2 seconds to stop in town to wipe down your car.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Ok, so this dude deserves the ticket for sure ...
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219440 ... sense-here

"Don't worry, I raised up my seat" lol
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

momma2a.sage wrote:I find it interesting how not a single person in this forum has mentioned that it was clearly a window in which was covered in snow and SHOULD be visible from the drivers peripheral (rear view mirror). It was not just a portion of the vehicle that is already obstructed (e.g., the body of the vehicle), it was an area in which most (if not all) drivers should be using to watch traffic and pedestrians around them. If the driver is that neglectful to not realize that there is snow obstructing their view to the rear of their car, they really shouldn't be driving.

Those who argue about driving up and down from Big White, have clearly never lived up there on a regular basis/driven up or down for work during all seasons. I personally had lived there for 4 years and NOT ONCE did I ever experience this type of accumulation of snow on the back of my vehicle. Even if there was a complete white out and the snow landed in that particular area, it was taken care of either by removing it or by using my rear windshield wiper. If I ever experienced a situation (which I have not) where it was completely obstructed, I would find a safe place to pull over and use my brush to take it off. All drivers should be prepared for any type of weather.

Either way, even if the person reporting the story was also being reckless and careless by speeding and taking photos while he should be driving.... he is correct in the fact that the van in question was not taking due care to the safety of others. It takes 2 seconds to stop in town to wipe down your car.

Some vehicles are more prone to this type of snow build-up than others, it depends on aerodynamics and how the wind swirls off the back of the vehicle. Not making any excuses for not clearing off the snow from your vehicle, but it is entirely possible for two different (make/model) vehicles to leave BW in the same weather conditions and one getting to town looking like the subject of this threat and the other being complete clear of any snow build-up.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

momma2a.sage wrote:I find it interesting how not a single person in this forum has mentioned that it was clearly a window in which was covered in snow and SHOULD be visible from the drivers peripheral (rear view mirror). It was not just a portion of the vehicle that is already obstructed (e.g., the body of the vehicle), it was an area in which most (if not all) drivers should be using to watch traffic and pedestrians around them. If the driver is that neglectful to not realize that there is snow obstructing their view to the rear of their car, they really shouldn't be driving.

Ive looked at the pictures and watched the video a few times now and I don't feel like the rear window is covered... Tail lights yes, license place yes, but im pretty sure they can see out the back window.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

it happens on all of my vehicles and the back window isn't an issue lights and license plate are the issue
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Jhunter199 wrote:

Ive looked at the pictures and watched the video a few times now and I don't feel like the rear window is covered... Tail lights yes, license place yes, but im pretty sure they can see out the back window.

Yup, window is clear
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

Please, go back and watch the video and take note.

Window is clear, there is no law, to the best of my knowledge, that says you have to be able to see out your rear view mirror specifically

Peripheral is to the side, not looking forward, cause forward is where my rear view mirror is

I have to call bs on you never, in 4 years of having driven from Joe Rich down, having had a snow covered rear end. Perhaps you are the one who needs to have a look at the back of your car [icon_lol2.gif]

I have had enough snow build up on the back of my pickup that I couldn't open the tailgate all the way from driving on the highway
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you can paint your rear window black if it pleases you or replace it with plywood if that's your thing as long as lights and license plate are clear

Return to “Central Okanagan”