Snow on vehicles

69cutlass
Übergod

Re: Snow on vehicles

Post by 69cutlass »

No one said to not clean it but that should be done at their destination. Or maybe you prefer they stop at every red light to Check????
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Thank you for weighing in KL3, I agree.
I will point out that it takes experience to know when it is more likely
to be required.
or,
If instead of just recording and criticising some one who may not even
realize the buildup is there, get their attention and let them know, most
would be appreciative and more diligent in the future.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

69cutlass wrote:No one said to not clean it but that should be done at their destination. Or maybe you prefer they stop at every red light to Check????

No but after coming down from BW or off the Connector it would be prudent to check ASAP.
After all its you who will be rear ended so it's for your own safety.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

dirtybiker wrote:
How would you know this ?

It's possible it was pulled out of a garage, fresh and clean one hour away.

Do you stop once an hour to check your taillights ?

All I know is that in that pics the lights are blocked and it's the drivers responsibility to keep them visible. Don't shoot the messenger, that's just the way it is. The law is clear - keeping license plates and lights clear is the responsibility of the driver. In the law's eyes there's no exception. Doesn't matter if you cleared it 5 min ago, it's blocked now. Just like parking, doesn't matter if the meter expired just 1 minute ago and you're late because you were busy saving childrend from a burning building - you're still getting a ticket.

Perhaps you're confused by my claim that it's the driver's responsibility. Me saying it's their responsibility to keep lights clear isn't the same as saying "that's a bad driver" or "the driver should have done something differently".

I agree - in many cases it's not practical and most enforcement officers will use judgement. How are they to tell if the plate has been blocked for days or minutes? How do they know the light burnt out 5 min ago or 5 months ago? Is that dirt blocking the view of the license plate intentionally placed/left in place? At the end of the day - the driver is held responsible regardless of the circumstances. That's just the way it is. :130:
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

He said during the interview: "WE were doing 80" and "I was kind of afraid"...

I'd be afraid too ... Of this DUFFUS going 80 in town (were the speed limit is 50 and 60) all while taking pictures of some guy who hasn't knocked the snow off the back of his SUV just yet. OMG, call the cops, and while you're at it, call Castanet too!!!

Another slow "news" day in Kelowna I guess.
Last edited by RVThereYet on Feb 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Finally watched the clip. What a goof. Prime example of a whiner and complainer of the Okanagan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:We put more importance on heated seats than heated lights. Comfort before safety!

Makes no sense.

In the manufacturers defense they do make heated mirrors now. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

First world problems...
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Just another slow news day in paradise.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

by lesliepaul » Today, 11:44 am

“A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign materials," said O’Donaghey.

"Numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed."

Trust a Kelowna Traffic Services Officer to quote this and add in "plainly seen and read AT ALL TIMES for speed monitoring devices".

I would suggest you position your officers on the side of the roads in advance of these monitoring devices with brushes to ensure that the plates are in this condition. Why not........you can portray yourselves as panhandlers at intersections looking for cell phone users.......safety first, right?
dudevondudenstien

Post by dudevondudenstien »

In the law's eyes there's no exception.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
-Obi-Wan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lesliepaul wrote:by lesliepaul » Today, 11:44 am

“A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign materials," said O’Donaghey.

"Numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed."

Trust a Kelowna Traffic Services Officer to quote this and add in "plainly seen and read AT ALL TIMES for speed monitoring devices".

I would suggest you position your officers on the side of the roads in advance of these monitoring devices with brushes to ensure that the plates are in this condition. Why not........you can portray yourselves as panhandlers at intersections looking for cell phone users.......safety first, right?

Possible business opportunity here, wiper/washer for license plates, or heated plates. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

lesliepaul wrote:by lesliepaul » Today, 11:44 am

Well, actually, he was just quoting Section 3.03 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations on the subject.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

As for the tail lights....well that's pretty cut and dried in the regs too:

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.
(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division
(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,
(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and
(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:As for the tail lights....well that's pretty cut and dried in the regs too:

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.
(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division
(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,
(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and
(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

Might be "cut and dry" in the "regs" - not so much in the real world. If it were so "cut and dry", everyone of us would be breaking the law at any given time on a trip down the highway. And you guys are just as guilty of not cleaning your taillights and plate while stopped just as much as we regular folks are - can't even begin to count the times I've seen your fellow crew in blue pull into a Timmie's and leave again not cleaning their snow covered lights or plates.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Feb 19th, 2018, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”