Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Post by Fancy »

The mayor is making the request on behalf of the residents - fair enough. If businesses are losing business because of the criminal element then I would expect the mayor to say something. He did say the social issues have overtaken transportation issues and it sounds like more housing is on the way.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

its about time . im tired of these people being treated with kid gloves because they are drug addicts or mentally ill. so what.commit a crime face the music.this is the fisrt thing basaran has ever done that i can support
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Fancy wrote:The mayor is making the request on behalf of the residents - fair enough. If businesses are losing business because of the criminal element then I would expect the mayor to say something. He did say the social issues have overtaken transportation issues and it sounds like more housing is on the way.

He certainly does not speak for this resident.

If his comments are believed by the disadvantaged to be the wish of all residents, then he certainly has poisoned the relationship - likely beyond repair. A one step forward, three step backwards sort of thing!

Maybe the mayors intentions are to divide and conquer - like that is going to work and make the situation better! :-X
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Squeaky wheel gets the grease - the mayor will be speaking for those that speak up. It would be foolish to think any one person speaks for all and there will be a great many that would like the downtown area cleaned up of the people that think nothing of those that are trying to make a living.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

voice of reason wrote:its about time . im tired of these people being treated with kid gloves because they are drug addicts or mentally ill. so what.commit a crime face the music.this is the fisrt thing basaran has ever done that i can support

This is exactly the attitude that perpetuates the problem. NIMBY or what? So many comments about rehab and so on. It is quite obvious that most posters are not educated, informed or empathetic enough to actually recognize what the issues and problems are. I will make this one statement and hopefully those reading will be bright enough to get it. Addiction is not the problem. Addiction is a symptom of a problem. Furthermore, the problem with rehab is that most organizations are businesses first, in the business of rehab. If you only treat the symptom, relapse must and will happen. Thus more business. If these business also looked at treating the problem, resolving the trauma, dealing with the mental illness, they would have less business. If we start seeing the addict as person first, with significant problems, and treat the problem, it has been shown more often than not to resolve the addiction. Second, too many posters here assume a person is homeless because of mental illness. It is true, but far too many are there, because it’s safer than their home and once on the street, coping becomes all important and drugs help to cope. When we as a society will park once and for all time, our fingers pointed judgmental my sheit don’t stink attitude, and voice opinion or better take action, that is supportive of the “problem”, recovery is possible and likely.

As for Basran. You are talking about a spoon fed done nothing for himself ... ever ... buy me my Mayor seat phantom leader. Are you really surprised by what he says or thinks? I sure am not, and frankly wonder what took him so long to Wally-fi his position.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Mtn Biker wrote:This is exactly the attitude that perpetuates the problem. NIMBY or what? So many comments about rehab and so on. It is quite obvious that most posters are not educated, informed or empathetic enough to actually recognize what the issues and problems are. I will make this one statement and hopefully those reading will be bright enough to get it. Addiction is not the problem. Addiction is a symptom of a problem. Furthermore, the problem with rehab is that most organizations are businesses first, in the business of rehab. If you only treat the symptom, relapse must and will happen. Thus more business. If these business also looked at treating the problem, resolving the trauma, dealing with the mental illness, they would have less business. If we start seeing the addict as person first, with significant problems, and treat the problem, it has been shown more often than not to resolve the addiction. Second, too many posters here assume a person is homeless because of mental illness. It is true, but far too many are there, because it’s safer than their home and once on the street, coping becomes all important and drugs help to cope. When we as a society will park once and for all time, our fingers pointed judgmental my sheit don’t stink attitude, and voice opinion or better take action, that is supportive of the “problem”, recovery is possible and likely.

As for Basran. You are talking about a spoon fed done nothing for himself ... ever ... buy me my Mayor seat phantom leader. Are you really surprised by what he says or thinks? I sure am not, and frankly wonder what took him so long to Wally-fi his position.

Extremely well articulated - Thank you!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not really - it's not a secret that there are homeless on the streets that have different issues than those with mental illnesses. It's a blanket statement that "most posters are not educated, informed or empathetic enough to actually recognize what the issues and problems are" when posters haven't shared their stories.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

The City of Kelowna New Release:

Highlights of February 20 Council meeting
February 20, 2018

RCMP update

Kelowna RCMP Supt. Brent Mundle presented data to Kelowna Council showing that crime prevention, officer presence, partnerships and proactive policing communications is having an overall positive impact in keeping the community safe. In the quarterly report on efforts around crime and crime prevention, Council heard there were 57,400 calls for service in 2017. The yearly comparison of all criminal code offences shows a drop in property offences, a five per cent reduction in other criminal code offences and, for the third consecutive year, a drop in ‘person offences’ (ex. assault, domestic violence). Read the report here.

Good creative control of selective information release ........ they missed the part about the mayors diatribe against the disadvantaged.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link to local news other than Castanet.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

It is time to reopen mental health hospitals.

The streets of cities are not the right place for people with mental health issues. Allowing people with mental health issues to self medicate on any illegal drug they can get their hands on is not the right way to help them. They should be hospitalized and not let out of the hospital as long as they are deemed a danger to themselves or people around them.

It is time we forcefully helped these people. Allowing these people to self destruct on drugs while paying for it through crime is causing long term detriment to our society.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Mtn Biker wrote:
This is exactly the attitude that perpetuates the problem. NIMBY or what? So many comments about rehab and so on. It is quite obvious that most posters are not educated, informed or empathetic enough to actually recognize what the issues and problems are. I will make this one statement and hopefully those reading will be bright enough to get it. Addiction is not the problem. Addiction is a symptom of a problem. Furthermore, the problem with rehab is that most organizations are businesses first, in the business of rehab. If you only treat the symptom, relapse must and will happen. Thus more business. If these business also looked at treating the problem, resolving the trauma, dealing with the mental illness, they would have less business. If we start seeing the addict as person first, with significant problems, and treat the problem, it has been shown more often than not to resolve the addiction. Second, too many posters here assume a person is homeless because of mental illness. It is true, but far too many are there, because it’s safer than their home and once on the street, coping becomes all important and drugs help to cope. When we as a society will park once and for all time, our fingers pointed judgmental my sheit don’t stink attitude, and voice opinion or better take action, that is supportive of the “problem”, recovery is possible and likely.

if you commit a crime then you need to be punished as would any other person who committed the same crime.the law applys to all across the board equally. if you are a drug addict that is a personal problem.if you are mentally ill that does not excuse you from violating the criminal code. what is so hard to understand about that?
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

voice of reason wrote:if you commit a crime then you need to be punished as would any other person who committed the same crime.the law applys to all across the board equally. if you are a drug addict that is a personal problem.if you are mentally ill that does not excuse you from violating the criminal code. what is so hard to understand about that?

Humanity needs a time out. The only crime being committed is the useless civic government in Kelowna that destroyed a very well thought out, well supported, well funded, support network for this very issue. Thus casting the marginalized on the street - again. The crime is having a mayor like Basran who could not see past his privileged nose, no different than his god father predecessor Wally. What is hard for me to understand is how someone can be so jaded and caustic toward other humans, regardless of their "crimes". I actually feel more sorry for you, given your attitude and how that will serve you in your future. An attitude that is dying a slow death. Sooner the better. When we begin to see people as a person first, and have some friggen compassion, I say your concerns will be quelled. At least the homeless have reasons for their position and I respect that. One's comments and opinion, not so much. Believe me, you are the minority and will soon be howling your contempt towards the destitute all by yourself.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”