Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby Fancy » Feb 21st, 2018, 9:14 am

Mtn Biker wrote:*removed*

*removed* People work hard for what they have and there is no excuse to deliberately destroy and abuse others. People don't get back what they've lost and it seems the criminal is allowed to continue on their merry way. I agree something needs to be done.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45575
Likes: 1135 posts
Liked in: 5998 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby Zoso » Feb 21st, 2018, 9:33 am

Put them all in an institution and let them out once they’re acceptable . And the ones that dont smarten up get fed to the others.
Like the post appocaliptic future .

voice of reason likes this post.
Zoso
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 766
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 257 posts
Joined: Feb 6th, 2012, 11:12 am

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby whattaday » Feb 21st, 2018, 12:18 pm

Imo, as someone who grew up in the system, has been homeless, had volunteered and aspired to work in the industry and has chosen an industry where solutions are applied to problems instead, as someone who used to be a “lefty” and is now on the fence railin’: There are services available for all types of issues; housing, rental supplements, pay-by-day work, employment training, KCR and IH community wellness classes hat teach emotional intelligence and how to regulate and manage your own mental health, government grants, free upgrading, employment insurance, pwd, social assistance, halfway houses, rehabilitative housing where you’re required to be 30-90 days clean in order to receive a unit, rehab centres that provide gateways to further assistance, as do the psych unit wards. What does all of this require? Making a genuine effort on your own to improve your own situation. Following up with those who are working toward your stability. Altering your life to accommodate the big adjustments that you’re working towards.

What does the average person do on a daily basis? Basically all of that; it’s how we live our lives as productive, healthy, stable adults.

I have talked to many homeless people; you have the ones who lost their job, lost their house and have minimal supports. If they’ve been fired, they should access EI or other supports (all info is available online or at WorkBC); the ones who do not want to live with society; the ones who are making $18/hour, in debt and using drugs; the ones who couch surf; the ones who have no family, terrible trauma and should have the government as PoA until they’re at a stable level to integrate back into society through unit>halfway house>independent living>rental housing. My least favourite, would be the ones who reject any offer of assistance through the appropriate support channels and outright demand monetary assistance for their own personal use. As much as it makes even the most liberal heart bleed- it takes a certain degree of “doing something” when it comes to changing your own circumstances. You cannot expect a community to hold your hand, as that’s not how it works; which may suck, but the more you actually try to improve your own life on your own terms, the stronger you become as an individual and the more resilient you are to the devastating traumas that life throws at us.
cool story, bro

3 people like this post.
User avatar
whattaday
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2016, 11:50 am

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 21st, 2018, 12:34 pm

whattaday wrote:Imo, as someone who grew up in the system, has been homeless, had volunteered and aspired to work in the industry and has chosen an industry where solutions are applied to problems instead, as someone who used to be a “lefty” and is now on the fence railin’: There are services available for all types of issues; housing, rental supplements, pay-by-day work, employment training, KCR and IH community wellness classes hat teach emotional intelligence and how to regulate and manage your own mental health, government grants, free upgrading, employment insurance, pwd, social assistance, halfway houses, rehabilitative housing where you’re required to be 30-90 days clean in order to receive a unit, rehab centres that provide gateways to further assistance, as do the psych unit wards. What does all of this require? Making a genuine effort on your own to improve your own situation. Following up with those who are working toward your stability. Altering your life to accommodate the big adjustments that you’re working towards.

What does the average person do on a daily basis? Basically all of that; it’s how we live our lives as productive, healthy, stable adults.

I have talked to many homeless people; you have the ones who lost their job, lost their house and have minimal supports. If they’ve been fired, they should access EI or other supports (all info is available online or at WorkBC); the ones who do not want to live with society; the ones who are making $18/hour, in debt and using drugs; the ones who couch surf; the ones who have no family, terrible trauma and should have the government as PoA until they’re at a stable level to integrate back into society through unit>halfway house>independent living>rental housing. My least favourite, would be the ones who reject any offer of assistance through the appropriate support channels and outright demand monetary assistance for their own personal use. As much as it makes even the most liberal heart bleed- it takes a certain degree of “doing something” when it comes to changing your own circumstances. You cannot expect a community to hold your hand, as that’s not how it works; which may suck, but the more you actually try to improve your own life on your own terms, the stronger you become as an individual and the more resilient you are to the devastating traumas that life throws at us.



Very good write. I would love to hear your thoughts on the individuals that choose to live a life, just not on the treadmill of "normal people". I would also like to hear your feedback on the situation and impacts in supportive housing where residents are under constant video surveillance.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 512
Likes: 813 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby voice of reason » Feb 21st, 2018, 7:18 pm

a criminal is a criminal whether they have a home or not.just because your heart bleeds for them it does not excuse them from the fact that they are criminals.there is already a system put in place to deal with criminals.just because someone is of a diminished social standing doesnt make it ok to steal and commit property crime.if someone does something that you or I would have to go to court or jail for then they should face the same penalties.no one wants to persecute the homeless people who are not criminals or the people who mind their own business but to get all up in arms because the mayor wants criminals to be treated as criminals is laughable. the delusional left would be happy to watch this country go right down the crapper

2 people like this post.
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 848
Likes: 2959 posts
Liked in: 898 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby the truth » Feb 21st, 2018, 7:36 pm

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15217
Likes: 9930 posts
Liked in: 6000 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 21st, 2018, 8:04 pm

voice of reason wrote:a criminal is a criminal whether they have a home or not.just because your heart bleeds for them it does not excuse them from the fact that they are criminals.there is already a system put in place to deal with criminals.just because someone is of a diminished social standing doesnt make it ok to steal and commit property crime.if someone does something that you or I would have to go to court or jail for then they should face the same penalties.no one wants to persecute the homeless people who are not criminals or the people who mind their own business but to get all up in arms because the mayor wants criminals to be treated as criminals is laughable. the delusional left would be happy to watch this country go right down the crapper



Sure. What are your thoughts on the city's unlawful bylaw that prohibits camping in the City of Kelowna public parks overnight - Abbotsford had the same bylaw and it was determined by the courts to be an unlawful bylaw - Abbotsford's bylaw was subsequently re-written to be lawful. When this was brought to the City of Kelowna's attention they refused to consider re-writing the bylaw so it is not unlawful. They even refuse to remove the "no camping" signage. Should the City be dragged into court? Maybe Sugarplum can spend a couple days in the same cell they are holding the homeless criminal!

Think about it .... if the homeless could call it a night in the park they would not be in alleys, on sidewalks and in doorways. The City could help but they won't.

voice of reason likes this post.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 512
Likes: 813 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby voice of reason » Feb 22nd, 2018, 6:49 am

fz6adventure wrote:

Sure. What are your thoughts on the city's unlawful bylaw that prohibits camping in the City of Kelowna public parks overnight - Abbotsford had the same bylaw and it was determined by the courts to be an unlawful bylaw - Abbotsford's bylaw was subsequently re-written to be lawful. When this was brought to the City of Kelowna's attention they refused to consider re-writing the bylaw so it is not unlawful. They even refuse to remove the "no camping" signage. Should the City be dragged into court? Maybe Sugarplum can spend a couple days in the same cell they are holding the homeless criminal!

Think about it .... if the homeless could call it a night in the park they would not be in alleys, on sidewalks and in doorways. The City could help but they won't.

if there is a bylaw against it it is illegal.if the bylaw is unlawful then it must be found unlawful in court .until then it stands.what is the issue here?
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 848
Likes: 2959 posts
Liked in: 898 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby fz6adventure » Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:07 am

voice of reason wrote:if there is a bylaw against it it is illegal.if the bylaw is unlawful then it must be found unlawful in court .until then it stands.what is the issue here?


The "no camping" bylaw has been found unlawful (Abbotsford (City) v. Shantz, 2015 BCSC 1909) on October 21, 2015, yet Kelowna has not updated their bylaw, and on request, has refused to do so. What is the hurry though ...... it has only been 20 months since the decision.

The "no camping" bylaw is just one example of many bylaws on the books that have already been found unlawful in the courts ...... but the City keeps them on the books as a threat tool against those without the wherewithal and means to fight back.

One more thing. It ended up costing the City of Abbotsford well north of $600,000 to try and bully the downtrodden. From a pure fiscal management perspective, is that where you want your taxation going in Kelowna?

These are just a couple of issues here.
fz6adventure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 512
Likes: 813 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby the truth » Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post. Next time report it!
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15217
Likes: 9930 posts
Liked in: 6000 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby giggly1 » Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hey...While we're at it, can we criminalize the following items as well?
a) Stupidity
b) Parents who let their kids do whatever they want
c) Anyone considered as a 'bully' by any individual
d) Kids who verbally abuse parents
e) Anyone who litters
f) Anyone who talks trash about someone else
g) Anyone who can't afford to pay any bill
h) Anyone who doesn't own a vehicle or drive
h) And the list goes on and on and on....

Seriously folks - sometimes I really have to wonder what some people are thinking...

'Criminalizing' something never makes 'the problem' go away - Guns, drugs, drunk driving, murder, and several other issues all still exist although 'criminalized'.
giggly1
 
Posts: 40
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 38 posts
Joined: Jun 7th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby Treblehook » Feb 22nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:Court ordered rehab takes those that are arrested out of the equation.


Somebody dreaming here?
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1915
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1268 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 2:10 am

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby voice of reason » Feb 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm

so your answer is to let them "camp" in the park. no thanks.city park doesnt need to turn in to a shanty town . that is the dumbest idea i have ever heard
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 848
Likes: 2959 posts
Liked in: 898 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby Anonymous123 » Feb 22nd, 2018, 6:51 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:Court ordered rehab takes those that are arrested out of the equation.


Treblehook wrote:Somebody dreaming here?


Not at all. If someone is in court ordered rehab they won't be on the street. Did you follow the thread or were you just skim reading?
We See
We Judge
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2376
Likes: 1774 posts
Liked in: 1237 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Mayor Wants Homeless Criminalized

Postby MalaPropina » Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

voice of reason wrote:so your answer is to let them "camp" in the park. no thanks.city park doesnt need to turn in to a shanty town . that is the dumbest idea i have ever heard


I know, right? I'd rather my hard earned tax dollars go to getting these people OFF our streets not going toward cleaning up after them in our parks. Making it more convenient and comfortable to be outdoors will only exacerbate the problems.
User avatar
MalaPropina
Fledgling
 
Posts: 228
Likes: 110 posts
Liked in: 212 posts
Joined: Jul 23rd, 2009, 2:56 pm
Location: West Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], comScore [Crawler] and 3 guests