Height of future downtown buildings.....

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Height of future downtown buildings.....

Post by Grandan »

dle wrote:
dle wrote:It's not the height of the buildings that is a problem for me. My problem is their placement ON THE LAKE! I don't agree with that. The placements of proposed future possible sites are all fine with me - AT ANY HEIGHT - as long as they are back from the lake and spread out.

JLives wrote:Who cares? Seriously. I own one of the closest residential properties to downtown. I still have to walk to the lake to see the lake. It will be just fine and it beats the heck out our hillsides covered in houses.

I CARE, and I don't think I'm the only one who does. Seriously. I want to see the lakeshore left for the pleasure of ALL OF US. I don't want to be restricted from any part of it. Your walk to the lake if you go by the Westcorp building will be restricted. If that's okay with you then we can agree to disagree but I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE LAKESHORE DEVELOPED. It should be for the enjoyment of all of us, without restriction, and that's the way it should stay. Move to Vancouver if you are so eager to see cement and glass development all over the waterfront - there's lots of that down there to make you happy.

You seem to be under the impression that the Hotel will be on the lakeshore, it is not, it is across the road from Kerry Park, look at the renderings:
http://www.westcorp.net/images/uploads/ ... Street.pdf
Westcorp has already built a marina to give residents an access to the lake, what more do you want?
http://www.westcorp.net/downtown-kelowna.php
It would be helpful if you did not spread fake news, it helps nobody least of all yourself.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

We don't want more, we want less... 26 stories..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Terris wrote:
JLives wrote: Who cares? Seriously. I own one of the closest residential properties to downtown. I still have to walk to the lake to see the lake. It will be just fine and it beats the heck out our hillsides covered in houses.

So...

Using this logic, are you proposing that these highrises are more suitable because they block the views of houses built away from town and on hillsides or that these hillside houses are an impediment to the views of owners of these hamster box highrises ??

I don't see either as desirable but in lieu of solid city planning my vote goes for preservation of the original townsite corridor.

It should be a place that welcomes all residents and visitors instead of creating an exclusion area for the wealthy and entitled.

What about the values of seeing the sky and having sunshine spread evenly among the whole city?

No sir...

These highrises are a pollution unto themselves and it won't be long before we will require 100's of millions in tax increases to pay for infrastructure upgrades just to provide water for these resource sucking behemoths let alone all the associated costs of traffic flows, septic increases etc..

Currently, Kelowna is at the mercy of the $ale$ pitching real estate "indu$try". We need to change this community destroying paradigm before it's too late...

Lake is pretty big, Sun is even bigger. I think we should be able to find a spot where we can see both.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Grandan wrote:You seem to be under the impression that the Hotel will be on the lakeshore, it is not, it is across the road from Kerry Park, look at the renderings:

Actually WestCorp bought that formerly public property you refer to as "the road" (part of which was zoned parkland) just so they could locate their building as close as possible to the lakeshore. (Well that is until they come back to Council looking for yet another variance to help "develop" Kerry park.)

Grandan wrote:Westcorp has already built a marina to give residents an access to the lake, what more do you want?

You mean Westcorp's private yachtclub don't you? They do control all aspects of the pier including all access and collecting all profits generated, not to mention having an open ended lease to continue to do so for as long as they, not the public, choses.
Grandan wrote:It would be helpful if you did not spread fake news, it helps nobody least of all yourself.

Speaking as the kettle or the pot?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I still fail to see how the hotel blocks access to the lake.
I don't see anything prohibiting someone from accessing the dock unlike other peoples dock which are private.
They own it, they insure it, they maintain it and they lease out spaces.
I don't see any misinformation in my post.
Waste not
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Grandan wrote:I still fail to see how the hotel blocks access to the lake.
I don't see anything prohibiting someone from accessing the dock unlike other peoples dock which are private.

Someone must have missed those big chainlink padlocked gates and "Closed" sign

Grandan wrote:They own it, they insure it, they maintain it and they lease out spaces.

Actually WE ,the citizens, of Kelowna supposedly own the pier, not that it's in anyway obvious.

Grandan wrote:I don't see any misinformation in my post.

it is across the road from Kerry Park

Seem to have forgotten about that tidbit huh?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Grandan wrote:

[quote]You seem to be under the impression that the Hotel will be on the lakeshore, it is not, it is across the road from Kerry Park, look at the renderings:
Westcorp has already built a marina to give residents an access to the lake, what more do you want?
It would be helpful if you did not spread fake news, it helps nobody least of all yourself.
[/quote[i]

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the City SELL that portion of the road to Westcorp for the "site"?? Somehow, it will all blend into the "site".....watch for it...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe the owners will do as big white does, locals don't pay full price. lol

Oops.... with an exception on the condo's
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:Maybe the owners will do as big white does, locals don't pay full price. lol

Oh, I think it's safe to say we'll all pay for this one way or another if and when it does get built - and if it even remotely resembles these stunning artists conceptions (read: carrot dangling in front of mayor and council's noses). - and it won't just be with tax dollars. Bring on the continued spiral of quality living here in Ktown with more tattooed d-bags, botox bimbos and all the typical trimmings that accompany them - flashy cars and trucks, boats and hoesHarleys and the crime - oh the glorious crime.

Funny how so many slammed the "Trump Tower" in Vancouver - yet there are lemmings here (some on our very own city council) falling all over themselves with the prospect of exactly the same glitz and glamour portrayed here. Can't. Wait.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Trumps building is not the tallest in Vancouver, its Living Shangri-la.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

WalterWhite wrote:
GordonH wrote:Maybe the owners will do as big white does, locals don't pay full price. lol

Oh, I think it's safe to say we'll all pay for this one way or another if and when it does get built - and if it even remotely resembles these stunning artists conceptions (read: carrot dangling in front of mayor and council's noses). - and it won't just be with tax dollars. Bring on the continued spiral of quality living here in Ktown with more tattooed d-bags, botox bimbos and all the typical trimmings that accompany them - flashy cars and trucks, boats and hoesHarleys and the crime - oh the glorious crime.

Funny how so many slammed the "Trump Tower" in Vancouver - yet there are lemmings here (some on our very own city council) falling all over themselves with the prospect of exactly the same glitz and glamour portrayed here. Can't. Wait.

It wasn’t the height of the tower that was the reason people in Vancouver were slamming Trump tower...
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:

Omnitheo wrote:It wasn’t the height of the tower that was the reason people in Vancouver were slamming Trump tower...

I said nothing about height in that particular post. I was referring to opulence.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Downtown is already a slum. Towers wont make it any worse. There is already not enough parking. Towers will make that worse. I guess its a lose lose. Downtown will only get worse. I guess one silver lining. More people downtown means maybe we will finally get 24 hr groceries like every other town has had for ever.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
asapjun

Post by asapjun »

I CARE, and I don't think I'm the only one who does. Seriously. I want to see the lakeshore left for the pleasure of ALL OF US. I don't want to be restricted from any part of it. Your walk to the lake if you go by the Westcorp building will be restricted. If that's okay with you then we can agree to disagree but I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE LAKESHORE DEVELOPED. It should be for the enjoyment of all of us, without restriction, and that's the way it should stay. Move to Vancouver if you are so eager to see cement and glass development all over the waterfront - there's lots of that down there to make you happy.[/quote]
You seem to be under the impression that the Hotel will be on the lakeshore, it is not, it is across the road from Kerry Park, look at the renderings:
It would be helpful if you did not spread fake news, it helps nobody least of all yourself.[/quote]
===================
Wow it is so nice ....need more of them to keep the cost of buying them down.... when you start running out of land you go up... its not a new concept .. kelowna has done a great job... go to vernon... two lakes and nothing even close to what you can see in keowna...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

asapjun wrote:I CARE, and I don't think I'm the only one who does. Seriously. I want to see the lakeshore left for the pleasure of ALL OF US. I don't want to be restricted from any part of it. Your walk to the lake if you go by the Westcorp building will be restricted. If that's okay with you then we can agree to disagree but I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE LAKESHORE DEVELOPED. It should be for the enjoyment of all of us, without restriction, and that's the way it should stay. Move to Vancouver if you are so eager to see cement and glass development all over the waterfront - there's lots of that down there to make you happy
Wow it is so nice ....need more of them to keep the cost of buying them down.... when you start running out of land you go up... its not a new concept .. kelowna has done a great job... go to vernon... two lakes and nothing even close to what you can see in keowna...

You are obviously under the impression that the Westcorp Hotel is on the lakeshore, it is not. The Lakeshore will continue to be accessible to pedestrians.
Vernon has Kalamalka Lake tip end for Lakeshore with very little area to develop, Okanagan lake is also the narrow tip end.
Both lakes are a long way from downtown Vernon.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”