Homeless Strategy Input

Homeless Strategy Input

Postby lensbaby » Feb 26th, 2018, 6:29 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... tegy-input

I wonder how many homeless people will be invited to participate?

2 people like this post.
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 99 posts

Re: Homeless Strategy Input

Postby Wave101 » Feb 26th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Taking steps to address homelessness on a city level will only attract more homeless to the city. To be fair and effective, homelessness can only be tackled on a national level.

On a city level, we need to walk the fine line between being too generous and too callous. Everyone in the city is affected by this subject, not just the homeless.
Last edited by Wave101 on Feb 26th, 2018, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2 people like this post.
Wave101
Fledgling

Liked in: 157 posts

Postby vinnied » Feb 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm

they've already asked former homeless people.
You know I cant believe the amount of money they've spent already hiring people left and right to deal with this situation. From the original Social Issue Coordinator, at 109000 dollars per year. To Calgaries Turner Strategies at a cost of $100,000., the list goes on. And for what? to ask to ask the general public how to fix the problem. I want my money back. Id rather donate it to someone who needs it.

2 people like this post.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 844 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 26th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Wave101 wrote:Taking steps to address homelessness on a city level will only attract more homeless to the city. To be fair and effective, homelessness can only be tackled on a national level.

On a city level, we need to walk the fine line between being too generous and too callous. Everyone in the city is affected by this subject, not just the homeless.

bingo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6298 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 26th, 2018, 9:14 pm

vinnied wrote:they've already asked former homeless people.
You know I cant believe the amount of money they've spent already hiring people left and right to deal with this situation. From the original Social Issue Coordinator, at 109000 dollars per year. To Calgaries Turner Strategies at a cost of $100,000., the list goes on. And for what? to ask to ask the general public how to fix the problem. I want my money back. Id rather donate it to someone who needs it.

i was thinking the exact samething, all this was , was lets give are useless over educated friends a job $$$$$-contact- they should all be put in jail for fraud
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby lensbaby » Feb 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm

If they cut out the "expert" studies they would have more funds with which to address the issues. How many times can you be told the same thing and then organize another study on the same issue?

4 people like this post.
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby kelowna_proud » Feb 26th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Put the Gospel Mission right beside the Cop Shop on Clement so the cops can sit in there chairs and watch them out the windows.

2 people like this post.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 27th, 2018, 6:00 am

Becoming like the song that never ends, soon we'll be paying for studies to study the studies.
Could hid some of it by moving services out of the downtown core... that coupled with providing shelter near said services.
Long ago I worked in an Inner City, exact same discussions, prolly exactly the same number of homeless people too. Without stable housing no other issues can really be addressed. The City owns lots of houses, why aren't they stepping up?
I'd go to a "lab" but would probably get so angry my head would explode.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

the truth likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3551 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 27th, 2018, 8:28 am

bs study after study after study and now they want free input [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

normaM likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ken7 » Feb 27th, 2018, 8:36 am

Wave101 wrote:Taking steps to address homelessness on a city level will only attract more homeless to the city. To be fair and effective, homelessness can only be tackled on a national level.

What did Medicine Hat Alberta do....

I agree however the more you do for them, word travels and it draws more to one community. I personally wish I had the answer.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2878 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 27th, 2018, 8:53 am

Buy up all the truck campers you can find for $500 and less. There are many nice ones. Take them all to an empty area give a tax break to the owner for allowing the campers to be moved there. Every camper would have their own propane furnace in it already. Connect it to electrical for the lights. They have a home they can call their own now. The social services can all come to one place to help and deal with them. And hire 24/7 person to live there as well to basically keep the peace and enforce the rules. If they don't like the rules I can go back out on the street. Biggest cost would be the person you hire to stay there 24/7. But you could probably get someone for free if you're giving them their own free camper and place to live. Next biggest expense would be paying for their propane and electrical and the tax break you give the owner of the property. If I was homeless I would probably jump at the chance to have my own camper.( think of it as tiny homes which are all the rage it seems) I would guess a good amount of them would have some feeling of ownership and would feel safe and might actually take the next step to turn your life around with something as simple as a home that they can call their own. It wouldn't be much different than the homeless camps that they set up themselves now but are usually eyesores and nothing but tents and garbage and never in a good place to not bother everybody else
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

Scrobins94 likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Feb 27th, 2018, 9:04 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Buy up all the truck campers you can find for $500 and less. There are many nice ones. Take them all to an empty area give a tax break to the owner for allowing the campers to be moved there. Every camper would have their own propane furnace in it already. Connect it to electrical for the lights. They have a home they can call their own now. The social services can all come to one place to help and deal with them. And hire 24/7 person to live there as well to basically keep the peace and enforce the rules. If they don't like the rules I can go back out on the street. Biggest cost would be the person you hire to stay there 24/7. But you could probably get someone for free if you're giving them their own free camper and place to live. Next biggest expense would be paying for their propane and electrical and the tax break you give the owner of the property. If I was homeless I would probably jump at the chance to have my own camper.( think of it as tiny homes which are all the rage it seems) I would guess a good amount of them would have some feeling of ownership and would feel safe and might actually take the next step to turn your life around with something as simple as a home that they can call their own. It wouldn't be much different than the homeless camps that they set up themselves now but are usually eyesores and nothing but tents and garbage and never in a good place to not bother everybody else

Was gonna buy a homeless guy a camper once. Had issues with where to put it.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3240 posts

Postby Jonrox » Feb 27th, 2018, 9:15 am

Ah there it is. It was just a matter of time before we got the "round em up and send them away from us" post. There's nothing that says "we want to help and work with you" quite like sending people away and forcing them to live together.

Segregation has a great history of success, so let's do it to the homeless as well.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2122 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 27th, 2018, 9:30 am

Jonrox wrote:Ah there it is. It was just a matter of time before we got the "round em up and send them away from us" post. There's nothing that says "we want to help and work with you" quite like sending people away and forcing them to live together.

Segregation has a great history of success, so let's do it to the homeless as well.
so there it is you say. Round them up and ship them out. LOL never said ship them anywhere did I. Giving them a place to live isn't shipping them. Do you have any better ideas yourself or are you just here to slag other people's ideas without even thinking it through. You speak of segregation like we still have colored only washrooms. This is 2018. We have come some ways I would hope you understand.
Maybe you prefer how they're doing it now with study after study at hundreds of thousands of dollars. And then the end they're going to maybe build a half-million-dollar facility to house seven or eight of them. Is that how you would rather have your tax dollars spent. If you're not part of the solution don't get in the way of a solution
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

normaM likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby gman313 » Feb 27th, 2018, 10:01 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Buy up all the truck campers you can find for $500 and less. There are many nice ones. Take them all to an empty area give a tax break to the owner for allowing the campers to be moved there. Every camper would have their own propane furnace in it already. Connect it to electrical for the lights. They have a home they can call their own now. The social services can all come to one place to help and deal with them. And hire 24/7 person to live there as well to basically keep the peace and enforce the rules. If they don't like the rules I can go back out on the street. Biggest cost would be the person you hire to stay there 24/7. But you could probably get someone for free if you're giving them their own free camper and place to live. Next biggest expense would be paying for their propane and electrical and the tax break you give the owner of the property. If I was homeless I would probably jump at the chance to have my own camper.( think of it as tiny homes which are all the rage it seems) I would guess a good amount of them would have some feeling of ownership and would feel safe and might actually take the next step to turn your life around with something as simple as a home that they can call their own. It wouldn't be much different than the homeless camps that they set up themselves now but are usually eyesores and nothing but tents and garbage and never in a good place to not bother everybody else

or repurposed shipping containers, they will last a long time. good post

Scrobins94 likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1379 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan