Panhandling Kelowna

gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Post by gman313 »

RustyCrayon wrote:I was out to get some lunch with a friend several years ago when we came across a panhandler asking for money for food. While we were at the restaurant, we decided to pick up and extra meal and a big cup of coffee for him. On the way back, we stopped and gave the panhandler the food. He thanked us and seemed happy with our gesture. I looked over my shoulder as we walked away and saw him dumping it all in the trash. Didn't even open the bag to see what we gave him.

I don't give any of panhandlers anything anymore. I'll happily donate to the food bank, SPCA or other charity instead.

that is probably best, i'm sure 998 times out of 1000 its for drugs.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

RustyCrayon wrote:I was out to get some lunch with a friend several years ago when we came across a panhandler asking for money for food. While we were at the restaurant, we decided to pick up and extra meal and a big cup of coffee for him. On the way back, we stopped and gave the panhandler the food. He thanked us and seemed happy with our gesture. I looked over my shoulder as we walked away and saw him dumping it all in the trash. Didn't even open the bag to see what we gave him.

I don't give any of panhandlers anything anymore. I'll happily donate to the food bank, SPCA or other charity instead.

Similar experience - when the median hustlers first started appearing a few years ago, I extended my hand out and dropped a Timmies card in the guy's equally outstretched hand at Spall and Harvey - only to have him take a half second glance at it - and give it back to me, despite my telling him it was worth $5. First and last time I ever did that.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

WalterWhite wrote:
Similar experience - when the median hustlers first started appearing a few years ago, I extended my hand out and dropped a Timmies card in the guy's equally outstretched hand at Spall and Harvey - only to have him take a half second glance at it - and give it back to me, despite my telling him it was worth $5. First and last time I ever did that.

This is super anecdotal but; While talking with a guy I met at a party a few years ago, who casually described himself as a crack dealer, I learned that pretty much every one of the median people is just there for drug money. He said he knew every one of them he drove by.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

One evening I was sitting our car waiting for my wife to pick up a few things at Michael's. A fellow and a pregnant lady got out of a nice newer car. The went over by the front door and were both texting on cell phones. Soon the fellow took out a cardboard sign and put his hat on the sidewalk. Meanwhile she went through the parking lot wanting donations for food. I asked here after she approached the car window asking for money how they could afford cell phones and a nice car if they were destitute. She swore at me and continued on to another vehicle with someone waiting in it.

Observed another man panhandling in front of Dollar Store near Superstore. He was drinking beer and hiding it behind the buggy wheel next to the building. A young lady went into the Dollar Store and came out with a bag and gave it to him. He thanked her and as soon as she left he took one thing out of the bag and the rest went into the trash can right there. A fellow came up to him and offered him place to go for the night. Sounded like he may be from one of the shelters for homeless, maybe even Salvation Army. He turned him down, said he was just fine. He drank three beer while I was waiting in the car and he urinated behind the trash can right in front of the store.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Spare change?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

^^^^ They are a product of a benevolent but dumb society IMO . We've become so "compassionate" to these dregs that some , or most , people think that they are doing a good thing by giving them money or goods ... Make us feel like we've done our "good deed" for the day .

But all "we've" really done is give them a helping hand to kill themselves and drain precious resources like fire , police and medical services..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Frisk wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those who panhandle are not allowed to stay in the homeless shelters. Typically those who are out there panhandling everyday usually have somewhere else to live.

I believe you are mistaken. The shelters toss them out for the day, unless they have jobs that would allow them 'bed rest', and it matters not what they do all day. As long as they follow the rules at the shelter it's all good. They can do what they like all day. There's two that panhandle, not together mind you, at Pandosy and 97 at the double left turn meridian on occasion. One is a guy, the other is a girl. Both live at the Gospel Mission.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

If you’re gonna give money away to a random person on the street, what difference does it make what they choose to spend it on. Chances are it’s going to alcohol or cigarettes or some other drug. If you care what they’re doing with their donations and want to help them, give them a granola bar.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
NveMe13

Post by NveMe13 »

In Moncton New Brunswick the bylaws ticket people giving money to panhandlers. I've sent that suggestion to the City Of Kelowna. They won't get any money ticketing the homeless or needy (as they are trying to now), why not ticket the givers? Make it illegal and soon you won't see any panhandlers asking for handouts because everyone will be afraid of getting a ticket. Just go to your local charity if you want to give. If you think this is a good idea, which is apparently working for Moncton, e-mail or text your council...
jv34

Post by jv34 »

I agree 100% fine the givers when there’s posted bi-law signs not to panhandle...this would stop this problem 100% in intersections...these low life’s would not stand there anymore.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

We lived near Orchard Park and used to get door to door panhandlers. One was asking for money for food so my wife gave him a sandwich. After he left she found the sandwich chucked behind a planter. Another time while my wife was on the roof painting some *bleep* walked in the back door and walked off with $200. I don't give to street people, ever, done.
Waste not
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

MAPearce wrote:^^^^ They are a product of a benevolent but dumb society IMO . We've become so "compassionate" to these dregs that some , or most , people think that they are doing a good thing by giving them money or goods ... Make us feel like we've done our "good deed" for the day .

But all "we've" really done is give them a helping hand to kill themselves and drain precious resources like fire , police and medical services..

Here is case in point of an attitude that perpetuates the problems. How do you spell NIMBY? If you don't want to hand a person spare change don't. I don't. But why go on forums complaining about something, but have done nothing about - other than complain. Kelowna is a product of its own ideology and the comments presented in this thread express that perfectly.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

NveMe13 wrote:In Moncton New Brunswick the bylaws ticket people giving money to panhandlers. I've sent that suggestion to the City Of Kelowna. They won't get any money ticketing the homeless or needy (as they are trying to now), why not ticket the givers? Make it illegal and soon you won't see any panhandlers asking for handouts because everyone will be afraid of getting a ticket. Just go to your local charity if you want to give. If you think this is a good idea, which is apparently working for Moncton, e-mail or text your council...

They can dress the By-Law officers like Pan Handlers and when someone hands them money the person gets handed a ticket in return! lol

Love it!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”