Panhandling Kelowna

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby gman313 » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:I was out to get some lunch with a friend several years ago when we came across a panhandler asking for money for food. While we were at the restaurant, we decided to pick up and extra meal and a big cup of coffee for him. On the way back, we stopped and gave the panhandler the food. He thanked us and seemed happy with our gesture. I looked over my shoulder as we walked away and saw him dumping it all in the trash. Didn't even open the bag to see what we gave him.

I don't give any of panhandlers anything anymore. I'll happily donate to the food bank, SPCA or other charity instead.


that is probably best, i'm sure 998 times out of 1000 its for drugs.

2 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2840
Likes: 1198 posts
Liked in: 1382 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:20 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:I was out to get some lunch with a friend several years ago when we came across a panhandler asking for money for food. While we were at the restaurant, we decided to pick up and extra meal and a big cup of coffee for him. On the way back, we stopped and gave the panhandler the food. He thanked us and seemed happy with our gesture. I looked over my shoulder as we walked away and saw him dumping it all in the trash. Didn't even open the bag to see what we gave him.

I don't give any of panhandlers anything anymore. I'll happily donate to the food bank, SPCA or other charity instead.


Similar experience - when the median hustlers first started appearing a few years ago, I extended my hand out and dropped a Timmies card in the guy's equally outstretched hand at Spall and Harvey - only to have him take a half second glance at it - and give it back to me, despite my telling him it was worth $5. First and last time I ever did that.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
User avatar
WalterWhite
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2258
Likes: 1748 posts
Liked in: 3007 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:31 pm

WalterWhite wrote:
Similar experience - when the median hustlers first started appearing a few years ago, I extended my hand out and dropped a Timmies card in the guy's equally outstretched hand at Spall and Harvey - only to have him take a half second glance at it - and give it back to me, despite my telling him it was worth $5. First and last time I ever did that.


This is super anecdotal but; While talking with a guy I met at a party a few years ago, who casually described himself as a crack dealer, I learned that pretty much every one of the median people is just there for drug money. He said he knew every one of them he drove by.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

the truth likes this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 422 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby trapp » Feb 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm

One evening I was sitting our car waiting for my wife to pick up a few things at Michael's. A fellow and a pregnant lady got out of a nice newer car. The went over by the front door and were both texting on cell phones. Soon the fellow took out a cardboard sign and put his hat on the sidewalk. Meanwhile she went through the parking lot wanting donations for food. I asked here after she approached the car window asking for money how they could afford cell phones and a nice car if they were destitute. She swore at me and continued on to another vehicle with someone waiting in it.

Observed another man panhandling in front of Dollar Store near Superstore. He was drinking beer and hiding it behind the buggy wheel next to the building. A young lady went into the Dollar Store and came out with a bag and gave it to him. He thanked her and as soon as she left he took one thing out of the bag and the rest went into the trash can right there. A fellow came up to him and offered him place to go for the night. Sounded like he may be from one of the shelters for homeless, maybe even Salvation Army. He turned him down, said he was just fine. He drank three beer while I was waiting in the car and he urinated behind the trash can right in front of the store.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
User avatar
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 972
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 333 posts
Joined: May 13th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Bpeep » Feb 28th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Spare change?
I have a baseball for you. You're more than welcome to rent it.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28609
Likes: 12618 posts
Liked in: 10005 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby MAPearce » Feb 28th, 2018, 8:06 pm

^^^^ They are a product of a benevolent but dumb society IMO . We've become so "compassionate" to these dregs that some , or most , people think that they are doing a good thing by giving them money or goods ... Make us feel like we've done our "good deed" for the day .

But all "we've" really done is give them a helping hand to kill themselves and drain precious resources like fire , police and medical services..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11123
Likes: 1658 posts
Liked in: 4144 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Snman » Feb 28th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Frisk wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those who panhandle are not allowed to stay in the homeless shelters. Typically those who are out there panhandling everyday usually have somewhere else to live.


I believe you are mistaken. The shelters toss them out for the day, unless they have jobs that would allow them 'bed rest', and it matters not what they do all day. As long as they follow the rules at the shelter it's all good. They can do what they like all day. There's two that panhandle, not together mind you, at Pandosy and 97 at the double left turn meridian on occasion. One is a guy, the other is a girl. Both live at the Gospel Mission.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1134
Likes: 1300 posts
Liked in: 879 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 5:27 am

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Omnitheo » Feb 28th, 2018, 8:26 pm

If you’re gonna give money away to a random person on the street, what difference does it make what they choose to spend it on. Chances are it’s going to alcohol or cigarettes or some other drug. If you care what they’re doing with their donations and want to help them, give them a granola bar.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4960
Likes: 7601 posts
Liked in: 3928 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby NveMe13 » Mar 7th, 2018, 9:19 am

In Moncton New Brunswick the bylaws ticket people giving money to panhandlers. I've sent that suggestion to the City Of Kelowna. They won't get any money ticketing the homeless or needy (as they are trying to now), why not ticket the givers? Make it illegal and soon you won't see any panhandlers asking for handouts because everyone will be afraid of getting a ticket. Just go to your local charity if you want to give. If you think this is a good idea, which is apparently working for Moncton, e-mail or text your council...

4 people like this post.
NveMe13
 
Posts: 6
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 4 posts
Joined: Dec 9th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby jv34 » Mar 14th, 2018, 6:47 pm

I agree 100% fine the givers when there’s posted bi-law signs not to panhandle...this would stop this problem 100% in intersections...these low life’s would not stand there anymore.
jv34
 
Posts: 2
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mar 8th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Grandan » Mar 15th, 2018, 6:24 am

We lived near Orchard Park and used to get door to door panhandlers. One was asking for money for food so my wife gave him a sandwich. After he left she found the sandwich chucked behind a planter. Another time while my wife was on the roof painting some *bleep* walked in the back door and walked off with $200. I don't give to street people, ever, done.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1903
Likes: 177 posts
Liked in: 895 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Mtn Biker » Mar 15th, 2018, 6:59 am

MAPearce wrote:^^^^ They are a product of a benevolent but dumb society IMO . We've become so "compassionate" to these dregs that some , or most , people think that they are doing a good thing by giving them money or goods ... Make us feel like we've done our "good deed" for the day .

But all "we've" really done is give them a helping hand to kill themselves and drain precious resources like fire , police and medical services..


Here is case in point of an attitude that perpetuates the problems. How do you spell NIMBY? If you don't want to hand a person spare change don't. I don't. But why go on forums complaining about something, but have done nothing about - other than complain. Kelowna is a product of its own ideology and the comments presented in this thread express that perfectly.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 905
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 367 posts
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Re: Panhandling Kelowna

Postby Bsuds » Mar 15th, 2018, 7:13 am

NveMe13 wrote:In Moncton New Brunswick the bylaws ticket people giving money to panhandlers. I've sent that suggestion to the City Of Kelowna. They won't get any money ticketing the homeless or needy (as they are trying to now), why not ticket the givers? Make it illegal and soon you won't see any panhandlers asking for handouts because everyone will be afraid of getting a ticket. Just go to your local charity if you want to give. If you think this is a good idea, which is apparently working for Moncton, e-mail or text your council...


They can dress the By-Law officers like Pan Handlers and when someone hands them money the person gets handed a ticket in return! lol

Love it!
A Wise Man once said...Nothing!

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43140
Likes: 8949 posts
Liked in: 11360 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], cubafreak, Frisk and 11 guests