New Local Shopping Centre

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby Grandan » Feb 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Once a piece of land is reduced in size to under 1.5 acres the ALC does not oppose removing that land from the ALR.
When land is so small that you cannot turn a tractor around on it there is a problem farming it.
Looking at the future Land Use Map and zooming in:
https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... Use%20.pdf
The sliver of land in question is pretty small to be of any consequence for use as farmland.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1783
Likes: 157 posts
Liked in: 810 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Right now, a trio of residential homes, a few sheds, and an unpaved gravel yard sit on the five-and-a-half acres.


One nit-pick item I find odd, is the location of the transit stop immediatley upon exiting the traffic circle onto Rutland Rd. in front of the propossed development (circled in red). Seems it would be less of an impact to following traffic and more centrally located further down (marked with red "X").

InkedScreen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-9.36.07-AM-1020x1024_LI-R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1532
Likes: 1220 posts
Liked in: 1821 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby nordhausen » Feb 28th, 2018, 1:48 pm

with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.

2 people like this post.
nordhausen
 
Posts: 12
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Mar 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby Bsuds » Feb 28th, 2018, 1:51 pm

nordhausen wrote:with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.


There are some things like clothing or items I need quickly that I still go to the stores for.
I have never tried Yoga but I bent over to pick up my keys once so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42235
Likes: 8279 posts
Liked in: 10448 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby Even Steven » Feb 28th, 2018, 3:57 pm

nordhausen wrote:with the rise of online shopping and behemoths such as Amazon delivery services, why would anyone want to build a new shopping center? I order online more than go to any shopping center these days. Even groceries are becoming online.


It doesn't have to be shopping in a traditional view. Think places like UPS store, or butchers, or small grocery stores, pizza places, flower shops, etc. They all need to be located somewhere.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2643
Likes: 173 posts
Liked in: 1903 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 28th, 2018, 6:29 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Right now, a trio of residential homes, a few sheds, and an unpaved gravel yard sit on the five-and-a-half acres.


One nit-pick item I find odd, is the location of the transit stop immediatley upon exiting the traffic circle onto Rutland Rd. in front of the propossed development (circled in red). Seems it would be less of an impact to following traffic and more centrally located further down (marked with red "X").

InkedScreen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-9.36.07-AM-1020x1024_LI-R.jpg


Walter, it appears to me that the bus will be able to get right off the road. That coupled with the hopefully reduced speed of traffic coming out of the circle, might be safer than around the corner.
I think it's a good location for a small center, hundreds of folks working nearby, and thousands living just past there.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Anonymous123 likes this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3677
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 1836 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby WalterWhite » Feb 28th, 2018, 7:06 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't to do with the "remainder" lots #11 & 12 - but with the properties on the west side of the newly aligned Rutland Rd. which will be within the overall scope of the development.

Before that, however, council has to approve a “minor OCP amendment” to remove a “sliver” of the of property from its current agriculture designation.

Right now, a trio of residential homes, a few sheds, and an unpaved gravel yard sit on the five-and-a-half acres.


One nit-pick item I find odd, is the location of the transit stop immediatley upon exiting the traffic circle onto Rutland Rd. in front of the propossed development (circled in red). Seems it would be less of an impact to following traffic and more centrally located further down (marked with red "X").

InkedScreen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-9.36.07-AM-1020x1024_LI-R.jpg


60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Walter, it appears to me that the bus will be able to get right off the road. That coupled with the hopefully reduced speed of traffic coming out of the circle, might be safer than around the corner.
I think it's a good location for a small center, hundreds of folks working nearby, and thousands living just past there.


True enough it will be completely off the traffic lane, just seemed the further away from the roundabout and exit point the better as far as congestion goes. I agree, I think it makes sense as there's already a number of commercial units to the southwest, and I'm sure more amenities for UBCO dorms and Quail Ridge residents and the growing residential off Sexsmith and Old Vernon Rd. will be welcomed.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1532
Likes: 1220 posts
Liked in: 1821 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: New Local Shopping Centre

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 28th, 2018, 11:31 pm

That is all newcomers , I was thinking Ellison residents, maybe over a thousand, been there decades.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3677
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 1836 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: armenkay, CommonCrawl [Bot], Frisk, Jlabute, oldtrucker and 7 guests