Hedley Kelowna Cancellation?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Hedley Kelowna Cancellation?

Post by WalterWhite »

Did I miss something in the news about this involving a 14 year-old? I can"t seem to find reference of it.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

WalterWhite wrote:Did I miss something in the news about this involving a 14 year-old? I can"t seem to find reference of it.

The earliest allegations against the band happened in mid-February and were made anonymously, online, about them "partying" with underage girls while on the road. Nothing specific was said about any sexual activity. The band responded to the accusations and said they were "unsubstantiated" but didn't exactly deny them either. That was when their management company dropped them, and media companies began pulling them off the radio. The opening bands on the current tour also quit at this time.

The latest accusation is from a woman in Ottawa, who says Jacob Hoggard raped her while they were on a date two years ago.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

With some of the comments and excuses or justifications made in this thread, I would say Hoggards is not the only person that women and underage girls need to be careful around...
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JayByrd wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Did I miss something in the news about this involving a 14 year-old? I can"t seem to find reference of it.

The earliest allegations against the band happened in mid-February and were made anonymously, online, about them "partying" with underage girls while on the road. Nothing specific was said about any sexual activity. The band responded to the accusations and said they were "unsubstantiated" but didn't exactly deny them either. That was when their management company dropped them, and media companies began pulling them off the radio. The opening bands on the current tour also quit at this time.

The latest accusation is from a woman in Ottawa, who says Jacob Hoggard raped her while they were on a date two years ago.

I’m quite familiar with the developments, and thank you. I’m just curious how a few comments recently made specific reference to this involving a 14 year old and whether it’s actually a reported “fact” or simply yet another assumption posted here that becomes a “fact”.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Prediction here:

I really do not think any member of the band will ever be charged with anything.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

could they not just make sure these girls were at least 18 before they party with them
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

soupy wrote:Prediction here:

I really do not think any member of the band will ever be charged with anything.

You could be right, I suspect the court of public opinion has most likely made there ruling known..... and Hedley
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

GordonH wrote:
soupy wrote:Prediction here:

You could be right, I suspect the court of public opinion has most likely made there ruling known..... and Hedley

I am curious to see what the outcome of some of these allegations in the future.

An interesting case is that of former football player Brian Banks. Young high school football star about to head to college and the NFL who was falsely accused and imprisoned for 6 years, plus intense probation upon release. 10 years after the fact the accuser was ordered to pay a $2.6 million settlement after admitting she had made it up.

**The settlement was actually a repayment of HER lawsuit in which she had received $1.5 million after she sued the school for not protecting her.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I’m all for one having their opinion - but some people clearly don’t grasp some situations. Hedley isn’t being held accountable for every band that plied the waters of rock and roll touring before them - it’s about Hoggard because he personally, as an individual is being accused, and at last update now investigated by police for sexual assault allegations against him. Unfortunately, and what this writer misses, is his personal actions are what have resulted in the demise of the band.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... -all-bands

Taking rap for all bands
Contributed - Mar 23, 2018 / 11:00 am | Story: 221775
I am writing this letter in support of Hedley! I am a 50 something mother of 3 grown kids, and I felt I needed to stand behind this band. My daughter and I are attending the Kelowna show together.

I really feel that Hedley has taken the rap for all bands. I agree that what has been “alleged” to have happened between this band and a few fans is wrong, and that bands in general need to take a look at their conduct and keep things professional on every level. However I also agree that bands from all generations have done those same things on a regular basis. Some of these bands I won’t name names, have actually joked about their indiscretions in interviews I’ve seen! They are made to feel they are entitled. Well NO they are not entitled, and all of it needs to stop!

However, to make Hedley the scapegoat for all bands, to ruin their career, to shun and protest at their concerts, over accusations that are yet unproven is unfair and unreasonable! These guys know what they’ve done (if they have), they know they need to take action and be an example to their fans! They have already paid a big price for again what are “alleged” allegations. They also know how people feel about this kind of behaviour, and they know they represent this country, this province, and these communities. But I think at this point we as the fans of this local band need to stand behind them, give them the love and support they need to propel them forward! To encourage them to not give up, but to keep on keepin' on, and to learn from it rather than signing off permanently and stifling such talent!

My daughter and I will be there in support. I hope many will join us!

Angela Gouldsborough
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Seriously?

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 11.48.43 AM.png
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^What's FAM ?

Fetal Alcohol Mother ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Omnitheo wrote:With some of the comments and excuses or justifications made in this thread, I would say Hoggards is not the only person that women and underage girls need to be careful around...

I'm absolutely no fan of this band, but to suggest that those who wish to see the evidential ruling of guilt over innocence before casting judgement are rapists and paedophiles is indefensible.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Rhime

Post by Rhime »

Got a refund last week. There's no way we could sleep at night knowing that this band got involved (guilty or not, something inappropriate happened) in wronging someone who just happens to be the same gender as my 12 yr old daughter and they decided or got up the courage to say something finally exposing them. We could not support that kind of behaviour and tell our kid that's cool. Other bigger named people are paying for this kind of stuff and these guys should not be the exception either.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Rhime wrote:Got a refund last week. There's no way we could sleep at night knowing that this band got involved (guilty or not, something inappropriate happened) in wronging someone who just happens to be the same gender as my 12 yr old daughter and they decided or got up the courage to say something finally exposing them. We could not support that kind of behaviour and tell our kid that's cool. Other bigger named people are paying for this kind of stuff and these guys should not be the exception either.

so basically you've taught your child that guilt before innocence.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

(guilty or not, something inappropriate happened)

Would you feel the same if some said something untrue about you ???

You didn't do it , but I say you did so it must be true .......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”