New City Manager

Even Steven
Guru

Re: New City Manager

Post by Even Steven »

Jonrox wrote:• University degree with courses in an appropriate discipline;

Most of Ron's critics never finished high school lol.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

i doubt his cheerleaders have either
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Lol - I see, questioning or criticizing one's performance and questioning the remuneration that as taxpayers we provide - means we therefore must apply for the job ourselves or shut up. If that's the case, shut down these forums and remove any and all opportunities for open discussion and dialogue expressing any opinion whatsoever. For crying out loud - give your heads a shake.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I didn’t say they couldn’t criticize him. I just said they should apply and offer their services on the cheap because they’ve always said $250,000 is too much.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

WalterWhite wrote:Lol - I see, questioning or criticizing one's performance and questioning the remuneration that as taxpayers we provide - means we therefore must apply for the job ourselves or shut up. If that's the case, shut down these forums and remove any and all opportunities for open discussion and dialogue expressing any opinion whatsoever. For crying out loud - give your heads a shake.

The way some on here criticize is borderline slander and as far as what someone is paid for a job like this largely depends on what other cities of the same size are paying. We might object but we don't have much choice.

We could always hire a village idiot to do the job as there certainly are enough available. (think council members) :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Jonrox wrote:I didn’t say they couldn’t criticize him. I just said they should apply and offer their services on the cheap because they’ve always said $250,000 is too much.

Sorry, I should have clarified - your comment was intelligent, well thought out and presented and wasn't the target of my comment. I should also clarify, I'm not so much questioning his salary, but simply if that is the base salary for an up and coming Kelowna city manager. Interestingly, this was a rather hot topic a number of years ago, and in 2011 a comparison was made between a number of BC city manager's salaries, and that of some high level staff in Obama's White House.

Pity Jack Lew, President Barack Obama’s White House Chief of Staff, the highest ranking employee inside the Executive Office of the President of the United States.

Earning a paltry $172,200 a year, Lew’s salary pales in comparison to George Duncan, the Chief Administrative Officer of – wait for it – Richmond, B.C., who pocketed a cool $267,613 in 2010/11 for keeping the lights on in that Lower Mainland suburb.

And Duncan’s salary isn’t even an anomaly. The Chief Administrative Officers or City Managers of cities such as Delta, North Vancouver (City and District), Kelowna, Maple Ridge, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Kamloops, Langley City, Pitt Meadows, White Rock, Surrey, Vancouver and Victoria all earned more than the White House Chief of Staff last year, according to the Vancouver Sun’s Public Sector Salaries database.

In fact, according to the 30 cities covered by the Vancouver Sun’s database, 116 municipal employees in B.C. earned more than Obama’s Chief of Staff and seventeen of Translink’s top breadwinners pulled in more than poor old Lew as well.

The overall winner of the B.C. City Hall Pay Sweepstakes? Penny Ballem, Vancouver’s City Manager, who banked a tidy $324,110, nearly double Lew’s salary.

And gold-plated municipal salaries aren’t just “a big city” phenomenon in B.C.

In the Town of Lillooet, the Chief Administrative Officer is paid $120,316 annually to keep an eye on 2,322 local residents.

Here's the link to the Public Sector database mentioned above. It seems to only have data up to 2014 unfortunately, however interestingly that year Mattuissi earned $271,475 - and like it or not, appears to be in keeping with the norm.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/pu ... 56H98BY73Z
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Whether you think the service Mr. Mattiussi has provided is worth what he's been paid, is up to you, but if you liken this to running a company with the aforementioned budget and a staff of 900...how much would the CEO of such an organization make?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote:
Jonrox wrote:• University degree with courses in an appropriate discipline;

Most of Ron's critics never finished high school lol.

he turned out to be useless and had a so called education, university degree means nothing if you have no common sense to back it up with
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

How was he useless? Kelowna is a great city to live in. To think he had nothing to do with it is incredibly naive.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Jonrox wrote:How was he useless? Kelowna is a great city to live in. To think he had nothing to do with it is incredibly naive.

to think he did is incredibly naive
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

He runs the city. If you think Kelowna is a nice city to live in, then the guy running the city has something to do with it. If you don't think it's nice, then he also has something to do with it.

I think Kelowna is great, so have to credit the guy who runs the place.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

I think Kelowna used to be great, so have to blame the guy who messed the place up.

Return to “Central Okanagan”