Defending property with force....Castanet poll

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Post by CapitalB »

previous posters quote removed.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

CapitalB wrote: Secondly if it is insured you should be able to file a report and be reimbursed for the items that have been stolen. This is ultimately going to be less work than a self defense manslaughter charge, it will also be significantly safer for every person that lives inside bullet range of your home.

Do you understand how insurance works? The insurance company doesn't go out and buy exactly what you had and give it to you. You need to pay a deductible, then your rates go up. You only get the appraised value for your item, not what a new one costs. It's a huge pain all while trying to prove it was actually stolen and that you didn't just sell it (undocumented items are hard to prove).

Again, your argument will be "it's just stuff". It's more than just stuff. It's people on my property that were not welcome, the creepiness of them looking over my stuff. It's the things I have purchased which bring joy to my life, I don't want to part with.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

This sort of situation is only going to get worse as it’s just another notch in Kelowna’s belt on the fast tracked desire to become a big city. Police are severely understaffed, and just like our hospitals they deal with calls on a priority basis. Want more police on patrol - be prepared to pay significantly more in taxes, because all the other amenities that people feel we must have are dipping into the same pot of money and there’s only so much to go around. People need to demand tougher laws, unfortunately the delicate snowflakes out there thinking everyone deserves a chance and is a good person at heart will never permit lengthy jail terms or deterents for trivialities like property crime. As a side note - I really like the wasp spray defence system suggestion :)
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

Bsuds wrote:They have to gain entry first and if they did I was ready for them with a surprise.

Luckily for them it wasn't needed.

OK, good, I'm on board ... a wall of 00 buck I hope ...
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

CapitalB wrote:If you have stuff worth shooting someone to protect you should have insurance on it. If you have insurance on it you should be significantly less concerned with stopping the thieves. If your stuff is insured but your still itching to fire off a warning shot you probably just want to shoot your gun and scare people.

So If someone breaks into my house and I have insurance should I just hope and pray that when they discover my family and me inside they just ignore us and go about their business taking my insured stuff. Or don't you think that maybe once they discover people inside they first reaction might be to hurt, restrain, or even kill the homeowner to lessen the chance that they get caught?
I personally don't mind taking chances, but I will not take chances with my families well being.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

We should start a public registry for everyone that think it's just 'stuff', so the scum can just go to the easy places to rip off. What say CB, you in?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

CapitalB wrote:
LTD wrote:no its drugs mostly crackheads meth heads heroin ya know that sort of thing

Like I said: a problem stemming from poverty, mental health issues, lack of recreational activities, and just a general lack of community support infrastructure. Cause thats how drug problems happen.

I for one am so tired of this mentality ... that there is some kind of acceptable excuse for all the poor behavior out there ... and us responsible folks should just accept it, clean up the mess, pay for it all and provide comfort to these poor lost souls ... wretch ...

Lots of successful people come from poor backgrounds ... they CHOOSE to elevate themselves in life as opposed to make poor decisions, steal, inject unknown substances in their bodies, live like vermin on the street ... it defies common logic and even the human spirit to not want to thrive.

If there was consequence to their behavior way less of this lifestyle CHOICE would be prevalent.

The more you coddle these lame ducks the more you enable their behavior ... if you want to give them your stuff and allow them to commit crimes against you thats fine ... but not this guy ...
Last edited by wisdom01 on Mar 6th, 2018, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Sparki55 wrote:
Do you understand how insurance works? The insurance company doesn't go out and buy exactly what you had and give it to you. You need to pay a deductible, then your rates go up. You only get the appraised value for your item, not what a new one costs. It's a huge pain all while trying to prove it was actually stolen and that you didn't just sell it (undocumented items are hard to prove).

Again, your argument will be "it's just stuff". It's more than just stuff. It's people on my property that were not welcome, the creepiness of them looking over my stuff. It's the things I have purchased which bring joy to my life, I don't want to part with.

I'm just going to quote myself for answers.

CapitalB wrote:This is ultimately going to be less work than a self defense manslaughter charge, it will also be significantly safer for every person that lives inside bullet range of your home.

Mostly because your increasing the danger for yourself and the people in your home significantly if you chose to turn a home invasion into a shoot out. Sure your a responsible firearm owner, and you feel comfortable unloading in the general direction of the intruder. How do you feel about a sketched out meth addict firing a gun in your home?

Escalating the situation is never the better option, doubly so if they're already in your home around your family.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

CapitalB wrote:I'm just going to quote myself for answers.

Escalating the situation is never the better option, doubly so if they're already in your home around your family.

Sitting duck ... your choice buddy ...
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

wisdom01 wrote:I for one am so tired of this mentality ... that there is some kind of acceptable excuse for all the poor behavior out there ... and us responsible folks should just accept it, clean up the mess, pay for it all and provide comfort to these poor lost souls ... wretch ...

Lots of successful people come from poor backgrounds ... they CHOOSE to elevate themselves in life as opposed to make poor decisions, steal, inject unknown substances in their bodies, live like vermin on the street ... it defies common logic and even the human spirit to not want to thrive.

If there was consequence to their behavior way less of this lifestyle CHOICE would be prevalent.

The more you coddle these lame ducks the more you enable their behavior ... if you want to give them your stuff and allow them to commit crimes against you thats fine ... buy not this guy ...

Those aren't excuses, those are the reasons these things happen in our society.

You make a big deal about choosing and sure lets say its a choice, its a choice that everyone faces; Do I become a productive member of society or do I waste my life? I think however that some people start more on one side than the other. For example someone with two stable mentally balanced parents that work and don't have addiction problems is starting out in the productive member of society zone. Someone who comes with a single parent and or a family background of addiction and or mental health issues and or abuse issues and or low income and or any number of life problems is going to be more predisposed to the opposite.

Trying to simplify the situation into lazy good for nothings and normal people is :cuss: crazy. Thats not how the world works, thats not how people work, thats not how any of this works. Its not a matter of coddling a bunch of degenerates, its a matter of helping people become productive members of society.

One last example for you;

Picture a young person, lets say a teen boy. Little Timmy after seeing how our government treats its homeless drug addict population has decided he wants to grow up to be a meth addicted criminal. It was a tough choice between that and law school but being on the street looked like the easy train to Timmy.

Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? Who the :cuss: is making that choice? NOBODY. Cause thats not how any of this works. And I know I made a hyperbole to demonstrate my point. But addiction literally does not work on the choice scale. Its more of a reaction to circumstances than a choice. In fact there are loads of studies showing that people who have been :cuss: by life are way more likely to become addicts. Shocking.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't put the value of my stuff above my or anyone else's life to shoot somebody over it.

Everything is covered by insurance.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Even Steven wrote:I don't put the value of my stuff above my or anyone else's life to shoot somebody over it.

Everything is covered by insurance.

a tad tongue in cheek here, but you are right, everything can be insured, even life insurance.....

I don't advocate shooting people over a TV, but shooting people isn't the only defense, we living in Kelowna or other centers have a short response. Get into the Sask area they are discussing and I know it well, you have 30-45 minutes before any response even if fast.....it changes the scenario.

It has become a free stealing fest as people know this, would allowance to shoot as long as you are on your property and they are as well discourage it? I'm not sure, but currently there isn't any option other than "let people take what they like" and that is honestly not an option.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

when seconds count the police are minutes away
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

CapitalB wrote:Those aren't excuses, those are the reasons these things happen in our society.

You make a big deal about choosing and sure lets say its a choice, its a choice that everyone faces; Do I become a productive member of society or do I waste my life? I think however that some people start more on one side than the other. For example someone with two stable mentally balanced parents that work and don't have addiction problems is starting out in the productive member of society zone. Someone who comes with a single parent and or a family background of addiction and or mental health issues and or abuse issues and or low income and or any number of life problems is going to be more predisposed to the opposite.

Trying to simplify the situation into lazy good for nothings and normal people is :cuss: crazy. Thats not how the world works, thats not how people work, thats not how any of this works. Its not a matter of coddling a bunch of degenerates, its a matter of helping people become productive members of society.

Picture a young person, lets say a teen boy. Little Timmy after seeing how our government treats its homeless drug addict population has decided he wants to grow up to be a meth addicted criminal. It was a tough choice between that and law school but being on the street looked like the easy train to Timmy.

Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? Who the :cuss: is making that choice? NOBODY. Cause thats not how any of this works. And I know I made a hyperbole to demonstrate my point. But addiction literally does not work on the choice scale. Its more of a reaction to circumstances than a choice. In fact there are loads of studies showing that people who have been :cuss: by life are way more likely to become addicts. Shocking.

Yawn ... same old krappola people like you try and feed people like me every day ... and that is one of the things that I'm sick of. Always looking for excuses to defend these degenerates (your word not mine but I do like it) ... always looking for ways to explain away their bad choices ... always looking for reasons to just give them one more handout.

The only true motivator in a person is themselves ... I truly look up to those that dig themselves out of a bad situation and thrive ... unfortunately the easier people like you make it for those who make the poor choice to leach off society the easier it is for them to stay and continue to prey on the responsible side of society. You do them no service by coddling them.

Nope, don't buy it man, not for a second, you are wasting your time with this guy ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

CapitalB wrote:
wisdom01 wrote:I for one am so tired of this mentality ... that there is some kind of acceptable excuse for all the poor behavior out there ... and us responsible folks should just accept it, clean up the mess, pay for it all and provide comfort to these poor lost souls ... wretch ...

The more you coddle these lame ducks the more you enable their behavior ... if you want to give them your stuff and allow them to commit crimes against you thats fine ... buy not this guy ...

Those aren't excuses, those are the reasons these things happen in our society.

little timmy actually makes that choice when he decides to smoke crack or meth, sucking on the glass dick was his choice not societies

Return to “Central Okanagan”