Defending property with force....Castanet poll

dle
Lord of the Board

Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Post by dle »

Todays poll is whether we should be allowed to defend our property with force:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#220398

It doesn't say with a gun...it just says with force. I say yes. The police say they don't want you to.... they want you to call the cops to take care of it. Why? What will they do? Absolutely nothing. They won't even come to your house unless someone is hurt.

If the day ever arrives that the cops will come to you when called, when the day comes that somebody is actually arrested, charged, jailed for robbing me, I might change my mind on this and call a cop. They say it's just stuff, it's insured. Too bad. Point is it's MY stuff, not the crook's. MY insurance rates go up if I put in a claim. Cost to replace comes out of MY pocket, one way or another. I will defend my property one way or another - until the cops will.

Stupid that if you catch a person robbing you blind and you hang a bit of a licking on him and take back YOUR stuff, you are the one charged with something. The law just wants you to hand it over and be nice about it. Uh-uh. Not liking that plan.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Post by normaM »

Pretty iffy to say " by force".
Most people , even if they had a gun would be hard pressed to defend themselves.
" oh excuse me while I go get my gun from the safe storage and load in, back in the shake of a lamb's tail"
If you are going to harm defending your property probably a good idea to remove harmed person from your property.
You know like having a baseball bat my your front door, should have a mitt too.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

From the CCC.

(1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

The problem with defending your property is the chance that the other guy has a bigger weapon than you. A baseball bat is no match for a gun. I know, nobody carries a gun in Canada, but what if that one person does when you confront him? Let's say he doesn't have a gun, or any weapon, and you give him a shot with your fist or a bat. Guy drops and hits his head and dies. You're on the hook for a second degree murder or manslaughter charge. Was that item that belongs to you worth it? It's just stuff.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

normaM wrote:Pretty iffy to say " by force".
Most people , even if they had a gun would be hard pressed to defend themselves.
" oh excuse me while I go get my gun from the safe storage and load in, back in the shake of a lamb's tail"
If you are going to harm defending your property probably a good idea to remove harmed person from your property.
You know like having a baseball bat my your front door, should have a mitt too.

I don't want to shoot the jackass, I just want to be able to protect my family, home & stuff from said jackass. I'm good with a guard dog ....problem is crook wins again if the dog bites him while the crook's IN MY YARD STEALING MY STUFF they seize my dog, not the crook.

I don't know how the cops can stand there and keep a straight face while saying "don't defend your property, call us".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dle wrote: They won't even come to your house unless someone is hurt.

You know this how? Until you are in the position of 4 people (drunk teenagers) trying to force the door to your house open and you are inside yelling at them to go away you will never know will you.

Been there done that and the RCMP responded in less than 5 min. So I say BS to your statement.

They won't respond to a car accident unless there are injuries but that's different.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dle wrote:
I don't know how the cops can stand there and keep a straight face while saying "don't defend your property, call us".

The Officer also said if you whack one on the kneecap just tell them he fell while trying to get away! lol
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bsuds wrote:
dle wrote: They won't even come to your house unless someone is hurt.

You know this how? Until you are in the position of 4 people (drunk teenagers) trying to force the door to your house open and you are inside yelling at them to go away you will never know will you.

Been there done that and the RCMP responded in less than 5 min. So I say BS to your statement.

They won't respond to a car accident unless there are injuries but that's different.

to clarify: unless someone is hurt in the process of a THEFT....of course they'll come if you are under attack or being threatened...totally different conversation....
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I believe this is a topic of discussion regarding recent news events involving rural crime, most recently in the prairies, and particularly Saskatchewan where there’s been a dramatic increase in rural crime, and one instance where a gun was involved resulting in one suspect being shot (they have not disclosed who’s gun or who discharged it). Discussion has centred around slow to non-existent police response and police comments stating no one should take the law into their own hands. There are town hall meetings currently being organized in several prairie communities to address the issue.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Cops wont even respond to preventable property crime. Whatever that is .

So i say use all the force u can.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

alanjh595 wrote:From the CCC.

(1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

Yep - if you are ASSAULTED....if someone is stealing your stuff this won't fly. You can defend yourself against physical violence upon your person, or your family, but not theft.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

Yup Mr. Criminal ... it's called a consequence of your actions.

And if there was more of it there would be way less crime/rape/assaults/etc ... it's only because we polite Canadians are so soft on everything that this antisocial behavior is so rampant ...
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

Bsuds wrote:You know this how? Until you are in the position of 4 people (drunk teenagers) trying to force the door to your house open and you are inside yelling at them to go away you will never know will you.

And in that 5 minutes they slam you to the ground, beat up your wife and steal your stuff.

Maybe that works for you, sorry, not for this guy ... I'm not hiding under my bed ...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They have to gain entry first and if they did I was ready for them with a surprise.

Luckily for them it wasn't needed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”