Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Post by Jflem1983 »

The law needs to say u can blast some a hole in your hallway. No questions asked
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Jflem1983 wrote:The law needs to say u can blast some a hole in your hallway. No questions asked

I understand people’s frustration, but I still prefer that over becoming Florida of the North.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-220399-2-.htm#220399

These kind of stories is why people feel the need to defend their own property. The thief in the storey has been stealing from one particular area for 5 months. The storey does not state when the RCMP were first contacted to deal with this but I am sure it was months ago; no one would let this go on for more than a couple months.

This thief does not fear the property owners or the cops and will continue to creep around these unfortunate people until arrested. To bad he doesn't fear for his life when trespassing, maybe that would make him think twice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Bsuds wrote:
dle wrote: They won't even come to your house unless someone is hurt.

You know this how? Until you are in the position of 4 people (drunk teenagers) trying to force the door to your house open and you are inside yelling at them to go away you will never know will you.

Been there done that and the RCMP responded in less than 5 min. So I say BS to your statement.

They won't respond to a car accident unless there are injuries but that's different.

Did you not read this:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ays-attend

“We will probably not be responding to theft from automobiles anywhere with an emergency vehicle, but we will be taking a call over the phone and giving a file number for insurance purposes… That will in turn allow us to patrol more.”

And this

De Jager said Penticton RCMP responded to 744 thefts from vehicles in 2017 and charged only three people.

744 thefts and 3 charged. With more patrols are they hoping that they might charge 5 or 6? Maybe they can start blaming the victims again, like they always do.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I will stand up and defend my right to protect my property, my home and my family in a court of law. What I won't do is allow anyone to try and take it from me.

Here is a handy home criminal deterent product readily available at your local HD or HH.

Effective and cheap. Burns the eyes somethin fierce. Guaranteed to stop an aresehole dead in his tracks and if he happens to accidentally ingest enough and he's maybe a bit on the delicate side?? Why, just plain dead!!

Why, it even says "defense system" on the can and it sprays up to 22 feet!! Yee haw, come on in and try some jack wagon.

raid.jpg
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

If you have stuff worth shooting someone to protect you should have insurance on it. If you have insurance on it you should be significantly less concerned with stopping the thieves. If your stuff is insured but your still itching to fire off a warning shot you probably just want to shoot your gun and scare people.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where you could own something nice without having to worry about insuring it because people respect each others property?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Along the same lines as Raid, years ago the Fire Department did a presentation to our staff regarding fire safety and he had some good advice. A 20 lb fire extinguisher is not only smart to have beside your bed in case of a fire, it can also blind and lay a severe beating on a thief while not being considered a weapon.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Frisk wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where you could own something nice without having to worry about insuring it because people respect each others property?

It absolutely would be glorious. I don't think guns are the answer to that problem though. It looks like more of a problem stemming from poverty, mental health issues, lack of recreational activities, and just a general lack of community support infrastructure. Especially in the case of this specific incident I think all those things were likely a factor.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

CapitalB wrote:
Frisk wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where you could own something nice without having to worry about insuring it because people respect each others property?

It absolutely would be glorious. I don't think guns are the answer to that problem though. It looks like more of a problem stemming from poverty, mental health issues, lack of recreational activities, and just a general lack of community support infrastructure. Especially in the case of this specific incident I think all those things were likely a factor.

no its drugs mostly crackheads meth heads heroin ya know that sort of thing
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

LTD wrote:no its drugs mostly crackheads meth heads heroin ya know that sort of thing

Like I said: a problem stemming from poverty, mental health issues, lack of recreational activities, and just a general lack of community support infrastructure. Cause thats how drug problems happen.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

CapitalB wrote:

You're right. Guns aren't the answer. People not breaking in to homes that aren't theirs and stealing things that don't belong to them is the answer. Until that glorious day arrives though, guns are part of the answer.

I get really tired of people whose only response is "it's just stuff". It's not worth a life". Maybe not, but the notion that we all should be OK with drug addicts and other assorted folks taking our stuff in order to support their habits and lifestyle choices is offensive.

Just becasue you're poor, drug addicted, mentally unstable, come from an abusive background or any other manner of issues that plague so many in our midst does not now nor has it ever been an excuse to steal.

It does no one any good to try to explain away criminal behavior. The everyday folks in our world are getting left behind in a sea of pity and sadness for those who do nothing but take what is not theirs and hurt those to who it belongs if they don't willingly stand back and let themselves become victims.

Why is it so wrong to not want to lose personal belongings that you have worked hard for?

Maybe we should start a ritual where once each week, we place some of our "just stuff" out on the lawn for the night stalkers to view at their leisure and take what they need? Sounds like a plan. No one gets hurt. They get their money and we get to know that we won't be judged as harsh or unfeeling because we have other stuff.

And it is just stuff, afterall.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

mexi cali wrote:Why is it so wrong to not want to lose personal belongings that you have worked hard for?

Mostly because your increasing the danger for yourself and the people in your home significantly if you chose to turn a home invasion into a shoot out. Sure your a responsible firearm owner, and you feel comfortable unloading in the general direction of the intruder. How do you feel about a sketched out meth addict firing a gun in your home?

Secondly if it is insured you should be able to file a report and be reimbursed for the items that have been stolen. This is ultimately going to be less work than a self defense manslaughter charge, it will also be significantly safer for every person that lives inside bullet range of your home.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wisdom01 wrote:Yup Mr. Criminal ... it's called a consequence of your actions.

And if there was more of it there would be way less crime/rape/assaults/etc ... it's only because we polite Canadians are so soft on everything that this antisocial behavior is so rampant ...

exactly........... i do not go around wanting to hurt people, never have, but if you want to break into my home while i am there, i will f your s :cuss: it up. sorry officer he said he had a gun and was going to shoot me, so i shot him first,maybe some of you soft on crime wimps would let some crackhead rob your home or rape your wife and kids , not this guy
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”