Ella

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Ella

Post by Even Steven »

Terris wrote:A sign that our connection to mother nature has been lost and that we are being dehumanized en masse by the forces of greed.

Mother nature is overrated. I'm sorry, but I don't like crapping in the woods. I don't like sleeping outside. I prefer condos to tents. I prefer car to walking. You want to poop in the woods - go right ahead.

If I want nature I can always tune into Discovery channel. By the way, stop using Internet if you hate new things so much.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Even Steven wrote:Mother nature is overrated. I'm sorry, but I don't like crapping in the woods. I don't like sleeping outside. I prefer condos to tents. I prefer car to walking. You want to poop in the woods - go right ahead.

If I want nature I can always tune into Discovery channel. By the way, stop using Internet if you hate new things so much.

There it is...

Case in point. The hubris of the entitled.

Where did I mention anything about camping?

Will you be so sure of mother nature's lack of place in your life when the fateful day arrives that you're gasping for a few more breaths of her overrated air?

Too funny...

:admin:
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Evan wrote: First of all, I was unaware that only people who reside in Kelowna could ever think about, have an opinion, or discuss Kelowna.

Second of all, how dare you make any sort of judgements on my life or how I live it. I love my apartment, I love living downtown, and I love not having a car. Having groceries delivered makes life a whole lot easier when adding in work schedule, time, the bus. So thanks, but your opinion was not asked. I was just sharing with someone how I find it benefits me.

And last of all. I was born and raised in Kelowna, lived there for 20 years, moved to the coast for school. I love my hometown, and will always check in here and contribute to the discussion.

OK...

I too was born and raised in Kelowna, 60 years ago.

My opinions, like yours, are posted on a public web forum here in Kelowna, and are thus, as asked for as yours have been.

You do understand the concept; do you not?

I lived in Victoria for 4 years while serving in the army and in the lower mainland for 15 years while logging up and down the coast. Couldn't wait to get out of the soul sucking concrete jungle only to find it being rebuilt here by the same soul sucking developers that have ruined large swaths of the lower mainland and Victoria.

Victoria however has long had the sense to preserve as much of the heritage of the city while here in Kelowna the heritage values are being bulldozed.

That isn't progress; and blind acceptance of this paradigm is laughable, IMHO...

No judgements here. Just simple statement of fact.

A hamster cage is a hamster cage no matter which animal chooses to reside in it...
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Sorry Terris, but it's human nature to gather and congregate in common areas. It's been going on since humans became civilized and it's not going to stop until humans become extinct. We may lose our own personal heritages, fleeting as they may be, but no we are not going to lose our air. That is just ridiculous. I would hazard a guess that you use more oxygen-depriving resources driving into town for your bullets and gas than I ever will to walk to Safeway for my free-range chicken and newspaper.

Over time things change, for better or worse. -- you just have to look back over Asia and Europe through the past few thousands of years to see that. For you to mock people who live in the same urban situations that thousands of generations before us have historically done is so hypocritical. The next time you pull your car out onto the local highway to go for supplies, take a moment to consider that you might be acting just like a hamster.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... edIndex=16

Speaking of Asia...

Is this what you're aiming for?

Kelowna 2050?

pepecat wrote:Sorry Terris, but it's human nature to gather and congregate in common areas. It's been going on since humans became civilized and it's not going to stop until humans become extinct. We may lose our own personal heritages, fleeting as they may be, but no we are not going to lose our air. That is just ridiculous. I would hazard a guess that you use more oxygen-depriving resources driving into town for your bullets and gas than I ever will to walk to Safeway for my free-range chicken and newspaper.

Over time things change, for better or worse. -- you just have to look back over Asia and Europe through the past few thousands of years to see that. For you to mock people who live in the same urban situations that thousands of generations before us have historically done is so hypocritical. The next time you pull your car out onto the local highway to go for supplies, take a moment to consider that you might be acting just like a hamster.

This is such twisted commentary it defies logic. It sounds like you are one of the masses who have simply given up.

I have long ago stocked up on ammo and drive a vehicle on average 5km- 10km a day maybe 200km once a month when I come in for supplies.

Enjoy living in your high rise while the pollution from the snarled parking lot traffic below wafts up around your cages.

What does that smell like?

Defeatism??
Tack

Post by Tack »

Terris wrote:I have long ago stocked up on ammo and drive a vehicle on average 5km- 10km a day maybe 200km once a month when I come in for supplies.

Enjoy living in your high rise while the pollution from the snarled parking lot traffic below wafts up around your cages.

So you live out in the forest, that's lovely and I'm sure very enjoyable. I'd love that one day, but not while I'm young and enjoy being in Kelowna. Maybe take a minute to step back and think why someone would want to live downtown, a few posters gave their reasoning. I can certainly imagine why you love being away from a city. I personally don't enjoy living in a downtown either but Glenmore is nice for this point in my life. Near work, schools, stores, we can sell 1 car soon with the transit options coming in. Everyone is so angry on this board because one view is "I hate the city" and the other is "I love the city" and somehow either point means you can't comprehend that not everyone is like you.

As for Ella. I think it's a great building in a great location. Some more density downtown (traffic speculation aside) is what we need. Kelowna needs more life downtown and all these new highrises will bring it. More businesses can flourish with a steady full-time population rather than riding the wave of tourism and the weekend. Good changes coming!!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Terris wrote:
Evan wrote: First of all, I was unaware that only people who reside in Kelowna could ever think about, have an opinion, or discuss Kelowna.

Second of all, how dare you make any sort of judgements on my life or how I live it. I love my apartment, I love living downtown, and I love not having a car. Having groceries delivered makes life a whole lot easier when adding in work schedule, time, the bus. So thanks, but your opinion was not asked. I was just sharing with someone how I find it benefits me.

And last of all. I was born and raised in Kelowna, lived there for 20 years, moved to the coast for school. I love my hometown, and will always check in here and contribute to the discussion.

OK...

I too was born and raised in Kelowna, 60 years ago.

My opinions, like yours, are posted on a public web forum here in Kelowna, and are thus, as asked for as yours have been.

You do understand the concept; do you not?

I lived in Victoria for 4 years while serving in the army and in the lower mainland for 15 years while logging up and down the coast. Couldn't wait to get out of the soul sucking concrete jungle only to find it being rebuilt here by the same soul sucking developers that have ruined large swaths of the lower mainland and Victoria.

Victoria however has long had the sense to preserve as much of the heritage of the city while here in Kelowna the heritage values are being bulldozed.

That isn't progress; and blind acceptance of this paradigm is laughable, IMHO...

No judgements here. Just simple statement of fact.

A hamster cage is a hamster cage no matter which animal chooses to reside in it...

So, what you're saying is you took advantage of urban living in Victoria and the lower mainland for a decade and a half while being in the service and for work, which has allowed you to know reside in a rural setting - and yet now you feel you have the right to deny someone else of that very same lifestyle? I also really don't think one can compare the heritage of Victoria with that of Kelowna. Don't get me wrong, I'm as concerned as most long time residents of Kelowna about this current boom cycle of building and just what this city will look like in the years to come - but don't try and use the very life you lived as a reason to deny someone else the right to do the same.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Yeah...

That's exactly what I'm NOT saying...

In Victoria I lived in Workpoint army barracks. Advantage is???

I didn't see you there enjoying the very same lifestyle.

I lived in the lower mainland and couldn't afford a house. Advantage is???

I came to Kelowna and watched a property I bought for $10,000 blow up into a $140,000 property in less than 5 years, which I then used sold to get another property as far away from the so called advantages of urban living as possible.

That is what I used my advantage for. Not buying into an urban highrise fantasy but something a lot more real and down to earth in accordance with my own chosen lifestyle.

I have done so in an area where, every year I see thousands of urbanites, complete with rolling cabin RV's and Canadian Tire gizmos and gadgets drag their stressed out souls to, oddly enough to get away from the very urban living nightmare being defended by some here.

Go figure...

But cheers to those who are too agoraphobic to venture out of the safety of their cages. More peace of mind for me...

:130:
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Tack wrote: More businesses can flourish with a steady full-time population rather than riding the wave of tourism and the weekend. Good changes coming!!

The full time working/live in Kelowna population are the ones purchasing 6-700k two bedroom condos with a 400 a month strata? Hmm.

On a side note I popped into their sale center a couple months ago. Amenities... gym? Nope. Pool? Nope. I was told a dog wash station, one parking stall and being part of a "vibrant neighbourhood" were the amenities you get for that bargain price. [icon_lol2.gif]
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Terris wrote:Yeah...

That's exactly what I'm NOT saying...

In Victoria I lived in Workpoint army barracks. Advantage is???

I didn't see you there enjoying the very same lifestyle.

I lived in the lower mainland and couldn't afford a house. Advantage is???

I came to Kelowna and watched a property I bought for $10,000 blow up into a $140,000 property in less than 5 years, which I then used sold to get another property as far away from the so called advantages of urban living as possible.

That is what I used my advantage for. Not buying into an urban highrise fantasy but something a lot more real and down to earth in accordance with my own chosen lifestyle.

I have done so in an area where, every year I see thousands of urbanites, complete with rolling cabin RV's and Canadian Tire gizmos and gadgets drag their stressed out souls to, oddly enough to get away from the very urban living nightmare being defended by some here.

Go figure...

But cheers to those who are too agoraphobic to venture out of the safety of their cages. More peace of mind for me...

:130:

I think it's great that you are able to embrace your chosen lifestyle... it does sound idyllic and idealistic. I am not being in any way facetious -- many people would love to be able to live your lifestyle. But really it's a little condescending that you feel you can degrade the people who can't or don't wish to do the same.

Speaking for myself, I have a career in the city and I am pretty happy that I am able to live and work and shop and play in an area where I don't have to rely on transportation to get me around. My backyard (besides the one behind my house -- not everyone downtown lives in highrises by the way) is made up of parks, beaches, mountains, theatres, and beautiful heritage neighborhoods that still abundantly exist in downtown Kelowna. My basic shopping needs are all within walking distance. All week long, I can get to any of these places without the need of a car. On weekends, if I feel like it, I can hop in my car and go off into the wilds. No RV or Canadian Tire gizmos are needed. I have a small tent and a few other amenities like my luxurious Coleman stove and shower tent complete with bucket and a couple of pots and pans. My kayak floats just as well in the mountain lakes as it does in downtown Okanagan waters.

I have yet to see any one belittling your choice of home... why do you feel it necessary to belittle mine?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think what Terris is saying...
Is if you like that lifestyle stay where it exists, not move somewhere unlike that, and demand that it changes to suit yourself better..
I am glad Nelson chose a nicer path than Kelowna..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think what Terris is saying...
Is if you like that lifestyle stay where it exists, not move somewhere unlike that, and demand that it changes to suit yourself better..
I am glad Nelson chose a nicer path than Kelowna..

I spent my childhood in 1960'/70s Kelowna, and will always miss the wonderful place that it was, but it's really naive to think that all things stay the same for ever and ever. Some people leave and find a place better suited for themselves, and some people stay and embrace the changes. In my circle of friends who have lived here all their lives I don't know anyone who is *demanding* change. Kelowna is evolving as most cities do over time, and I guess the old adage "take it or leave it" holds true.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Terris wrote:https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4ZP%2f49VR&id=51327C50FB997687A866043C5AC1752C9F475725&thid=OIP.4ZP_49VRoKyPE2enjbMGmwHaDn&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2f4.bp.blogspot.com%2f-jcJPzO3YKmI%2fT6ymRxauF1I%2fAAAAAAACwpQ%2fWWH3_9iyPuI%2fs1600%2fkowloon-walled-city-002.jpg&exph=471&expw=964&q=hong+kong+ghetto&simid=608039398479235141&selectedIndex=16

Speaking of Asia...

Is this what you're aiming for?

Kelowna 2050?

pepecat wrote:Sorry Terris, but it's human nature to gather and congregate in common areas. It's been going on since humans became civilized and it's not going to stop until humans become extinct. We may lose our own personal heritages, fleeting as they may be, but no we are not going to lose our air. That is just ridiculous. I would hazard a guess that you use more oxygen-depriving resources driving into town for your bullets and gas than I ever will to walk to Safeway for my free-range chicken and newspaper.

This is such twisted commentary it defies logic. It sounds like you are one of the masses who have simply given up.

I have long ago stocked up on ammo and drive a vehicle on average 5km- 10km a day maybe 200km once a month when I come in for supplies.

What does that smell like?

Defeatism??

And there it is. The Montana Freemen has a new chapter here in BC. Yee haw! At least I figure you're in BC with its mountains and streams and tree blinds where you can keep watch for G men or others who may wander uninvited onto your god given property.

Are you alone out there in the bush? Or are there wimmin and chillun out there with you takin care of the daily needs of the Freemen men who are busy lookin out for those who would challenge their right to claim land that isn't their's and protect it with deadly force if need be.

No sir. No livin in the city with all them heathens and gays and such. Havin to abide by the law, laws that you didn't write yourself anyhow. Bein expected to hold down a job sose you can live in one a them hamster cages you're so fond of referring to.

Why, if the good lord had intended us to live all crammed in together, he woulda give us the idea to build communities and invite others to do the same where we could live lives amongst people of like minds and not so like minds. Where the little uns could get a education sose they could make a better life for themselves than their parents could. With places of worship n such and businesses and, no; wait just a cotton pickin minute. That shore does sound familiar. Oh yeah, that's right. He did give us the idear that we should gather together and build stuff n such. That's right. Now I remember.

And praise be to the almighty that he give us all enough open land sose them that aint liked much by the rest of us has a place where's they can go to get away from it all and still have the freedom to mock the rest and shoot us if we disagree.

Shore is a good thing, yessir.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”