Health tax hits hard ?

gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Health tax hits hard ?

Post by gman313 »

I definitely agree with paying a livable wage.

Is MSP a tax deductible business expense? i'm not sure and too lazy to google it. Health and Dental premiums can be written off by the employer.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

gman313 wrote:I definitely agree with paying a livable wage.

Is MSP a tax deductible business expense? i'm not sure and too lazy to google it. Health and Dental premiums can be written off by the employer.

I would like to believe it would be, and I base that on the fact that the employer's portion of CPP and EI contributions are valid business expenses.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If the employer paid your MSP wouldn't that be considered a tax benefit for the employee.
Yes, fast food places have jumped.. heck that junk they sell at the 7-11 jumped . breakfast sandwich up over a dollar. I was there yesterday workers were getting flak from customers.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Employer-paid MSP is a taxable benefit and taxed as though it were cash with all deductions. It is a valid expense. For an employee with no family who is paid 40hrs/week, that works out to be approximately $0.43/hour.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

kgcayenne wrote:Employer-paid MSP is a taxable benefit and taxed as though it were cash with all deductions. It is a valid expense. For an employee with no family who is paid 40hrs/week, that works out to be approximately $0.43/hour.

that is what I thought, thank-you

so even if you are paying your employees MSP you get some of that back in reduced taxes.

I am all for a health tax but I think there should also be a small ee tax based on income, similar to Ontario. It is based on income and fair for everyone. It also puts some, but not all, of the responsibility on business.

I don't think business should have to pay for everyone which is what will happen now.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You raise an excellent point.

What about self-employed people? Who pays for them? Public and private employers would under this proposed system.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

kgcayenne wrote:You raise an excellent point.

What about self-employed people? Who pays for them? Public and private employers would under this proposed system.

correct, unless they take more than the 500,000 in wages for themselves

what about seniors who make over 100,000 or any other number through their investments and RRSPs.

the current premiums are not the way to go, the employer tax is part of the solution but not fully equitable in my mind.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I truly hope they take the time to really consider how to structure this.

I also still think they need to tax the hell out of junk food and processed foods... a fructose/corn syrup tax.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

kgcayenne wrote:I truly hope they take the time to really consider how to structure this.

I also still think they need to tax the hell out of junk food and processed foods... a fructose/corn syrup tax.

YES!

More money to treat those who choose to eat it

And hopefully less do resulting in healthier population which would then use the health care system less

the ol an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure certainly applies here
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

well I guess if an employer who has a payroll of say 500k - 900k you may want to consider dividing into 2 companies..?
oh I guess sub contracting also just got a little more attractive..
:)

Return to “Central Okanagan”