Subdividing a lot in west Kelowna questions

Woodshopwillie

Subdividing a lot in west Kelowna questions

Post by Woodshopwillie »

Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience subdividing land in West Kelowna. I’m curious what the final costs were. I’ve heard all sorts of numbers ranging from 30k-100k

All services are close and available but no provisions are in place. The proposed lot size is .22 acre.

Any response is much appreciated !

Cheers
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Subdividing a lot in west Kelowna questions

Post by Grandan »

The cost of subdividing has a lot to do with the offsite services that you will be required to provide.
For instance you may be required to widen the asphalt in the road and add curb and gutter, extend sanitary sewer, provide a second water connection in addition to the fees you will pay for the application.
Best to find out on your own from the City of W Kelowna what the requirements are. There is also a zoning issue that may come up. There may be engineering costs if there is any offsite work. There will be legal costs.
There are more questions than answers at this point. There are too many variables.
I worked on a 2 lot subdivision where the costs of all the upgrades were barely covered by the sale so it is not always the windfall it appears to be. The cost of extending sewer mains can be pricey.
A competent consultant needs to spend some time putting together a proposal that in turn needs to be vetted by the City so it will cost money just to establish a budget for the work.
Last edited by Grandan on Mar 10th, 2018, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waste not
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The DCC's will almost eat up the low range of the costs that the OP provided. Without knowing the details of the situation, if it is already zoned it will likely be $75k minimum. Grandan's comments were spot on.
You and 71 others Like this post
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

Might be better off building a carriage house and renting it out. Certainly an option to consider, if you can fund it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”