Lawful - or Unlawful?

daveandanne
Übergod

Re: Lawful - or Unlawful?

Post by daveandanne »

A question for pet owners, would you put your child or some others on a chain in the rear of a pickup and you were involved in a road incident and you had to recover the dead or mutilated carcass of them after the crash or into the lake ending? Or the possible rollover caused by another careless driver [of course ]. I guess the answer to this is it will never happen and can one just think if it did happen [ in 500 years ] how would one help the driver and passengers and a wounded dog in an incident when it did happen?. Is it possible this is a dangerous situation for other drivers and their passengers if and when this does occur?. Another incident could happen in a head on where the animal loses it's head in the impact and it's body is thrown into the oncoming vehicles. Warning this content is very gruesome and true.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dodgerdodge wrote:Another badly written article that contradicts itself. Whatever our thoughts on animal safety and loving ones pet like a child the article the RCMP guy quotes says "must be leashed" and it was, so how Castanet could write that the driver could face a ticket if caught and use the headline "dog in truck = fine" is beyond me. It even goes on to say that the leash can be short and i quote:

An owner may secure their pet with a leash, short enough to prevent the animal from jumping out of a vehicle, strangulation, or potential for death.

So i would guess that as the dog was indeed leashed as per witness account there is no charge to answer, except maybe a stupidity charge. :200:

Dog slips off platform over side of truck on short leash, strangles & dies. If leash is longer to avoid strangulation, dog is dragged to death. Guy could argue he had it secured on drivers side so he could see in his mirror if the dog fell out. How long would it take the guy to get the truck pulled over and stopped to try to save the dog? OR just slam on the brakes in the middle of traffic, leap out to save the dog, causing big pile-up and possible injury or death to himself, dog, and/or others coming from behind.

I'm totally with you on a "stupidity charge" at the least.....
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dodgerdodge wrote:Another badly written article that contradicts itself. Whatever our thoughts on animal safety and loving ones pet like a child the article the RCMP guy quotes says "must be leashed" and it was, so how Castanet could write that the driver could face a ticket if caught and use the headline "dog in truck = fine" is beyond me. It even goes on to say that the leash can be short and i quote:

An owner may secure their pet with a leash, short enough to prevent the animal from jumping out of a vehicle, strangulation, or potential for death.
So i would guess that as the dog was indeed leashed as per witness account there is no charge to answer, except maybe a stupidity charge. :200:

Could it be the Castanet headline "dog in truck = fine" was meant to imply 'fine' as in 'ok', or 'legal', instead of 'fine' as in monetary consequences and against the law?

I'm still with you on the stupidty charge nonetheless.....
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

dle wrote:I'm still with you on the stupidty charge nonetheless.....

If "stupidity" was a chargeable offence.......the prisons would fill up overnight with lifers.
Bring back the LIKE button.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Tootsie wrote:Why? it's what I want to know - WHY do people feel they need to take their dogs in their vehicles? A lot of people say "they love going for rides" . Really? How do you know what a dog thinks? I doubt it. YOU THINK they like going for rides is more like it and justifies amusement time that you don't want to spend dealing with - in other word, too lazy to take them for a walk. You know - like they did 40 years ago. Dogs survived just fine without riding in vehicles over the ages.

I would think a dog sitting beside your car, begging to get in and jumping right in as soon as you open the door is a pretty clear indication that they want to go for a ride.

You'd think so wouldn't you but that isn't so for all dogs who ask to go with you. We had a dog who did the same thing - every time - and any ride over a couple of blocks had him agitated, whining, shivering, carsick and miserable. What we realized was that the car ride mean't diddly to him - he just didn't want US to go! He didn't want to be left alone so he would ask to come just to be with us and in doing so made himself the most miserable, sad, and sorry little hound on earth the the whole trip.

Kinder to leave them at home to "guard the house" with their toys and munchies in air-conditioned or heated comfort and bring home a treat to say "good doggie" for a job well done!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Sorry OP, can't keep the emotion out of it. It is ridiculous that the law seems to support this kind of stupidity and worse that mouth breathers actually drive like this.

There is so much stuff that could happen not to mention the dust and pollution they are forced to breathe. The weather (you don't honestly think any neanderthal that would do this would consider rain or heat or cold, do you?).

Insects. ever been hit by a bee on a motorcycle? Bet you were glad you had a face shield or sun glasses on. Your dog doesn't have either to offer protection. Debris from the rear wheels of vehicles traveling in front of you.

Most dogs will lie down in a car once the initial novelty wears off but if you're outside, standing on a box, when do you think they would relax? It has to be stressful.

Honestly; if you're bent on taking your dog with you cuz you love them so much, treat them as such and bring them inside. Maybe ask your wife to stand on the box.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jack DeBear wrote:

Transportation of animals

9.3 (1) A person responsible for an animal must not transport the animal by vehicle unless the animal is
(a) inside the passenger compartment, or
(b) confined or secured in a manner that will prevent the animal from
(i) falling from the vehicle,
(ii) being injured during transport, or
(iii) causing a hazard to the safe operation of other vehicles.

(2) A person responsible for an animal must not attach the animal to a vehicle that is in operation unless the animal is confined or secured as described in subsection (1) (b).

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person operating a vehicle that is designed for use as a mobility aid for persons with a disability and that is being used for that purpose.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... section9.3

So, doggie in the cab or in a cage secured in the back.

Did you read the legislation? To keep it secured or confined.

Would a rope, a bale string, a heavy shoe lace, a chain, a leather strap with clasp keep it secure from jumping out of box?

That is all you need, if your dog was not tethered in any way and it fell off your tool box, you likely would be prosecuted if a complaint was received.

Common sense that is the thing here.
Last edited by Ken7 on Mar 14th, 2018, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

mexi cali wrote:Sorry OP, can't keep the emotion out of it. It is ridiculous that the law seems to support this kind of stupidity and worse that mouth breathers actually drive like this.

There is so much stuff that could happen not to mention the dust and pollution they are forced to breathe. The weather (you don't honestly think any neanderthal that would do this would consider rain or heat or cold, do you?).

Insects. ever been hit by a bee on a motorcycle? Bet you were glad you had a face shield or sun glasses on. Your dog doesn't have either to offer protection. Debris from the rear wheels of vehicles traveling in front of you.

Most dogs will lie down in a car once the initial novelty wears off but if you're outside, standing on a box, when do you think they would relax? It has to be stressful.

Honestly; if you're bent on taking your dog with you cuz you love them so much, treat them as such and bring them inside. Maybe ask your wife to stand on the box.

Putting them in a crate is also a good idea if you can. I was in a car accident 3 weeks ago where my car was totaled. The impact of the crash broke the whole front of my dogs crate off, im sure he would have died or broken his neck or back if he hadnt have been in it.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Ken7 wrote:
Jack DeBear wrote:

Transportation of animals

9.3 (1) A person responsible for an animal must not transport the animal by vehicle unless the animal is
(a) inside the passenger compartment, or
(b) confined or secured in a manner that will prevent the animal from
(i) falling from the vehicle,
(ii) being injured during transport, or
(iii) causing a hazard to the safe operation of other vehicles.

(2) A person responsible for an animal must not attach the animal to a vehicle that is in operation unless the animal is confined or secured as described in subsection (1) (b).

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person operating a vehicle that is designed for use as a mobility aid for persons with a disability and that is being used for that purpose.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... section9.3

So, doggie in the cab or in a cage secured in the back.

Did you read the legislation? To keep is secured or confined.

Would a rope, a bale string, a heavy shoe lace, a chain, a leather strap with clasp keep it secure from jumping out of box?

That is all you need, if your dog was not tethered in any way and it fell off your tool box, you likely would be prosecuted if a complaint was received.

Common sense that is the thing here.

Now why would I bother to read it to see if it mentioned anything about a leash before I posted it.

So ya got me roped in.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jasonjb wrote:
Putting them in a crate is also a good idea if you can. I was in a car accident 3 weeks ago where my car was totaled. The impact of the crash broke the whole front of my dogs crate off, im sure he would have died or broken his neck or back if he hadnt have been in it.

I miss how the create saved the dog. The create goes flying forward, the dog at the same speed. The create stops, then the dog catches up to the front of the create and he / she stops. A proper fitting seatbelt for the K-9 is likely best as it distributes the forces across it's chest and would likely prevent head trauma, as your dog may have received crashing into your create.

Like they say, speed does not kill....it is the sudden stop!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jack DeBear wrote:

Now why would I bother to read it to see if it mentioned anything about a leash before I posted it.

So ya got me roped in.

All I can say is you would have real problems enforcing any law....I'd like to follow you around if you drive. It might be somewhat entertaining.
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

Ken7 wrote:
jasonjb wrote:

I miss how the create saved the dog. The create goes flying forward, the dog at the same speed. The create stops, then the dog catches up to the front of the create and he / she stops. A proper fitting seatbelt for the K-9 is likely best as it distributes the forces across it's chest and would likely prevent head trauma, as your dog may have received crashing into your create.

saved him from flying around the car, seatbelt would be best but a proper fitting crate is better than nothing
Last edited by jasonjb on Mar 14th, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Ken7 wrote:
All I can say is you would have real problems enforcing any law....I'd like to follow you around if you drive. It might be somewhat entertaining.

Sure, follow me anytime.

I obey all laws. I keep my dog in the cab, and on hot days when I'm parked I crack the windows for him.

ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Ken7 wrote:

Crates are supposed to be secured in and not able to move.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Dogs still slamming up against the front door (which probably won't hold)of a crate in an accident. You underestimate the power of even a low speed collision.

I bring my dog in my truck with a harness attatched to a seat belt( no air bag around). It's NOT perfect but its the best i can do when i bring him to a park or wherever.

The bed of a truck is no place for a pet.
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Mar 14th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”