KGH tightens security

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

KGH tightens security

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221071 pretty sad, when you need security 24/7 because of violent junkies ,if they can not behave kick them out
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: KGH tightens security

Post by Bsuds »

It's not just "junkies" that can be violent. There are other medical issues that can result in violence as well.

I don't think kicking them out would be a viable option and no matter what the cause we all deserve Medical care in a safe environment.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: kgh tightens security

Post by WalterWhite »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-221071-1-.htm#221071 pretty sad, when you need security 24/7 because of violent junkies ,if they can not behave kick them out

Funny, I saw no reference to “violent druggies” in that link. Drunks can be very violent. Some people simply have an aggressive personality. It’s not always just “druggies” that cause problems. Btw, there has already been security at KGH for some time.

In addition to existing security at KGH, the two additional security officers began covering the 6 p.m. to midnight and midnight to 6 a.m. shifts this week.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Violent patients typically fall into 4 categories:
- Drunk/high on drugs or Opioid addict that came in as an overdose and was given Narcan. (instant dope sick and mad that their high got ruined).
- Dementia (very common. Outside of the ER, patients suffering from Dementia are the most likely patients to be violent)
- Mental Health patients
- Patients acting erratically because of the medications given to them while in hospital care. Most common is the patient waking up after a surgical procedure.

The ER also ends up dealing with violence as a result of the conflict/event that lead to the ER visit in the 1st place. Domestic disputes, fights, etc. Not uncommon for violence to occur in the waiting room. Most recent example of this I saw involved 2 patients brought to ER due to car accident. Accusations that 1 was drunk, family members wanting "justice". etc.

ER is definitely the highest risk area at the moment. I think the pilot project is a good idea, I just hope they use security guards who are capable of dealing with a violent individual. Seen a few around KGH who are grossly overweight or look to be 70 years old. Pretty bad when other patients (or their family) end up protecting the security guards.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Mar 14th, 2018, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you are correct and i agree, but lets not pretend , that this move for extra security is not because of violent junkies
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:It's not just "junkies" that can be violent. There are other medical issues that can result in violence as well.

I don't think kicking them out would be a viable option and no matter what the cause we all deserve Medical care in a safe environment.

you are correct ---we---- as you say all deserve safe medical care , have you every been at kgh when these people roll in, they make it unsafe for everyone else ,if they can not behave kick them out, its on them ,,no one else
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

the truth wrote:if they can not behave kick them out, its on them ,,no one else

While I don't totally disagree then what happens if they are violent because of a life threatening issue and die because they were refused admission? That's kind of cruel don't you think?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

the truth wrote:you are correct and i agree, but lets not pretend , that this move for extra security is not because of violent junkies

oh good. you've corrected yourself. from the article:

The move follows a meeting in February between the parties to address safety concerns brought forward by nursing staff regarding combative and sometimes violent patients.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:
the truth wrote:if they can not behave kick them out, its on them ,,no one else

While I don't totally disagree then what happens if they are violent because of a life threatening issue and die because they were refused admission? That's kind of cruel don't you think?

well that's on them not kgh, imo
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

A public hospital such as KGH does not have the right to turn away patients.

http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/ ... m#c.%C2%A0 Patients%E2%80%99 txt
Bring back the LIKE button.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

This is really just another opportunity for you to bash junkies. The problem is much more diverse, however your thoughts on the matter are very well preceded so it’s no surprise there’s a complete disregard for fact or opinion stating otherwise.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote:It's not just "junkies" that can be violent. There are other medical issues that can result in violence as well.

Most of the wallops MrsMA gets are from dementia patients not from junkies... And a lot of the verbal abuse comes from family members of patients..

About time for more security ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

MAPearce wrote:

Most of the wallops MrsMA gets are from dementia patients not from junkies... And a lot of the verbal abuse comes from family members of patients..

About time for more security ...

My fiance has also been attacked by dementia patients
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Bsuds wrote:While I don't totally disagree then what happens if they are violent because of a life threatening issue and die because they were refused admission? That's kind of cruel don't you think?

the truth wrote:well that's on them not kgh, imo

Not really. When a patient comes to the hospital, they're at their worst. They're hurting, they're ill. To turn them away would be cruel. Do you think most people would be happy knowing that someone they refused to help, later died from their condition that could have been treated?

The way they act is on them, but the way they are treated is not.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:A public hospital such as KGH does not have the right to turn away patients.

http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/ ... m#c.%C2%A0 Patients%E2%80%99 txt

sad but true

Return to “Central Okanagan”