KGH tightens security

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: KGH tightens security

Post by the truth »

thank you for explaining it better than i can :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rather than getting tied up in who's to blame for violence at KGH, let's just be glad they're trying to address the issue.

Anyone can become violent if they're upset enough or confused enough. I agree that dementia patients probably top the list as far as the number of violent incidents, and that stat is only going to get worse as time goes on.

Front line hospital workers need to be prepared for any kind of medical or psychiatric situation, including patients that may become aggressive. Let's give them whatever tools they need to keep themselves and their patients as safe as possible.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote:Rather than getting tied up in who's to blame for violence at KGH, let's just be glad they're trying to address the issue.

Anyone can become violent if they're upset enough or confused enough. I agree that dementia patients probably top the list as far as the number of violent incidents, and that stat is only going to get worse as time goes on.

Front line hospital workers need to be prepared for any kind of medical or psychiatric situation, including patients that may become aggressive. Let's give them whatever tools they need to keep themselves and their patients as safe as possible.

I wholeheartedly concur! :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I'm sure the need would partially have to do with "junkies" causing problems, but there's typically a lot of issues in an ER. Two parties get in a fight at a nightclub and get injured, guess where they all show up?

The benefit to increasing security would be presence which adds to deterring these issues from occurring in the first place.

This helps with continuous presence (likely one in the ER and one in the lobby) even while the rest of the security force at the hotel are responding to a security incident elsewhere in the hotel. The wards and their Code White activations can be busy and time consuming, where historically could leave the ER undermanned during those times.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They should arm the Nurses and Dr's and ER Staff.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:They should arm the Nurses and Dr's and ER Staff.

They already have some pretty good drugs to subdue an assailant.
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

There used to be a nurse at KGH who was the spittin' image of pro wrestler Kevin Nash. Had to be on the other side of 6'6" too. If something was going down on the ward, he'd be my weapon of choice.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did the nurse have tats on the arms?

If so, I know him and he used to post here. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Queen K wrote:Did the nurse have tats on the arms?

If so, I know him and he used to post here. :up:

I can't remember if he had tattoos, and I haven't seen him around for several years. He's hard to forget though, "Nurse Nash" was a running joke for my wife and I for a long time.

I know he also used to work locally as a roadie/stagehand for concerts.
boushca

Post by boushca »

Personally, i'm extremely grateful for the security at KGH. I have witnessed extreme violence in the ER and security is always quick to respond. I dont think these men and women get paid very much and daily they have to deal with people spitting on them, kicking them and verbally abusing them - they seem to do it because they have a love for helping and see the positive impact it has. They have always been so professional! Thank god they are there...kudos to the men and women there! :up:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

boushca wrote:Personally, i'm extremely grateful for the security at KGH. I have witnessed extreme violence in the ER and security is always quick to respond. I dont think these men and women get paid very much and daily they have to deal with people spitting on them, kicking them and verbally abusing them - they seem to do it because they have a love for helping and see the positive impact it has. They have always been so professional! Thank god they are there...kudos to the men and women there! :up:

I'm not .... These men and women don't have the qualification to work in an acute care setting.

I'd prefer that those who work in our hospitals have more than just an ort of medical training along with their BST "tickets" ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you are correct, its a min wage job maybe a little more, they take a bst course and they get the job :200: dealing with insane situations almost every night,-- security staff turnover is high at kgh a friend of mine worked there he said the amount of stress-situations they had to deal with for the wages was not worth it so he moved on if kgh was smart they would train inhouse there own highly trained security to deal with these crazy situations so pay them =security-very well so they stay long term,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

i was in the emergency room of the hospital in kelowna about 1 month ago. there was a woman there who had a very sore back and she swore very loudly the whole time that she was there. she went to the front of the line and was processed ahead of the others.. she was swearing using the f word the whole time.. not once was she asked to shut it down... not once.. about 1hour later i was processed and put in the same place she was and she swore the whole time i was there until i left... if this was a man guess what would have happened. thats right he would of woke up in jail with a sore back. i dont mind letting someone in more pain than me go first but i should never have to listen to the horrible swearing that she released to everyone there. and there was lots of kids there at the same time.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

That person may well have been a known quantity. Many people end up with alerts on their chart if they are frequent fliers at KGH (the old purple dot, for those who know what I am talking about). Behavioural plans for problem ER patients aren't the only alerts, though. There are alerts for palliative care, renal, the MOST, etc.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson

Return to “Central Okanagan”