CRA Phone SCAM

Nicolette_Fuller
Fledgling

CRA Phone SCAM

Post by Nicolette_Fuller »

There's a lonely CRA scammer phoning around the Okanagan the past few days. I spoke to him for a few minutes, he's currently the only person running the phone, his "boss" gave him the phone list with no names attached to it so he has no idea who he's phoning. He's also apparently just attained his Canadian citizenship not that long ago (but isn't following Canadian protocol.) He's merely trying to get information (and is bad at it) So if you see the following number or get a message from (613) 714-5277 from Ontario know that it's just this poor loser trying to do his "job" tell him where to go and how to get there but don't give out any information.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: CRA Phone SCAM

Post by Bsuds »

Did you report the number to the RCMP?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Call is pure BS, if there number shows up on caller ID then call the RCMP and give them that number.
Whatever you do, don't give them any info... that is the scammers/fake CRA
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Our family got hit too! ( via our cells)
Lady(who barely spoke English) said the police had a warrant for our arrest if we did not pay $6,000 a.s.a.p! :200:
We called the RCMP and we were told its been a VERY busy month with phone scammers and e-mail scammers.
Calls like this frighten the heck out of unsuspecting people! It scared the heck out of me until I realized it was a scammer...but, it took a few hours for my blood pressure to go down.
Calls like that could set a few people into cardiac arrest! :-X
Just say it as it is!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I called the RCMP about phone scammers in the past, and have taken it as far as contacting the specialized department for this kinda thing. The police will not get involved unless you have sent them money.
The scammers are using VOIP and "ghosting" software to generate a phone number from Canada. 90% (my guess at that percentage) of these calls originate from Pakistan.

There is also email CRA scammers going on too. DO NOT open that email! It's a virus.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Protect yourself by reading this https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... fraud.html

If you are online then set up My account with CRA, simple check will confirm if monies are owned or not (once you have My Account you can check it at any time)

Here is a link to CRA to setup a My Account https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... duals.html

always when dealing with CRA or banking online look for the secure connection i.e the lock next to Canada.ca in link to setup My Account
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

artistwithaflare wrote:Our family got hit too! ( via our cells)
Lady(who barely spoke English) said the police had a warrant for our arrest if we did not pay $6,000 a.s.a.p! :200:
We called the RCMP and we were told its been a VERY busy month with phone scammers and e-mail scammers.
Calls like this frighten the heck out of unsuspecting people! It scared the heck out of me until I realized it was a scammer...but, it took a few hours for my blood pressure to go down.
Calls like that could set a few people into cardiac arrest! :-X

That's exactly what they want is to shock & grab and run.
They can get away with huge payday if only 1% of calls response to this BS threat

Now if there are Family, Friends or relatives that you feel or belief could buy into this BS. Talk to them and warn them
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm surprised people still get sucked in by these calls with all the info on the News etc.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:I'm surprised people still get sucked in by these calls with all the info on the News etc.

This is why scammers continue, this scam.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

The CRA scam has been around for a while. They tried to get me a few times until i told them I'd take their number and have my lawyer and accountant contact them. They had a few choice words at that and threatened to arrest me. I said fine, I'll be waiting. They haven't called since.

Newest one.... Someone claiming to be from my bank, which they do know where i do my banking, they say there's an issue with my credit card and ask for my card number and mother's maiden name.

Odd, because any time I've had a problem with my card they've called my cell phone, never my land line. And if they were calling from the bank they'd know my card number. I called the number on my card and they said everything is just fine. But these people call sometimes up to 9 times a day starting at about 7:30am. :swear:
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bsuds wrote:I'm surprised people still get sucked in by these calls with all the info on the News etc.

It’s 2018 and we’re still having to remind people not to feed bears. It doesn’t matter how glaringly obvious these things are, there will always be a portion of society who are immune to common sense and self preservation.

I can find a hundred apps online that allow me call or text from an area code of my choice. They’ll just keep moving into new numbers to call you with.

Return to “Central Okanagan”