Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Post by Grandan »

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:It would be interesting to know just how many complaints the city currently gets with regard to odor, noise, dust etc. from current Yaletown, Quail Ridge, UBCO, Wilden residents.

Wouldn't really matter, it's not as if anything can or will be done about it. Just like those who purchase near an airport or industrial area, then bit :swear: & complain.
Landfill, industrial area or airport is not moving just because some idiot moved in without checking out the area.
I remember poster who came onto this forum to bit :swear: & complain, that next door to their newly purchase home was the Kelowna gun range.

WalterWhite
But it does matter and that’s the point - if there hasn’t been much if any complaints - Lesliepaul just stated he’s lived in Wilden for 8 years and not had a single instance of landfill impact - then how can the city use this as a reason to not support the development?[/quote]

Grandan
Development in Wilden has not progressed much further north of Begbie Road which puts it at least 1/2 mile south of John Hindle Dr. It is also a further 1/2 mile to the west of Glenmore Road. That and the fact that the prevailing winds carry the scent toward Quail Ridge from the landfill.
Waste not
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:It would be interesting to know just how many complaints the city currently gets with regard to odor, noise, dust etc. from current Yaletown, Quail Ridge, UBCO, Wilden residents.

Wouldn't really matter, it's not as if anything can or will be done about it. Just like those who purchase near an airport or industrial area, then bit :swear: & complain.
Landfill, industrial area or airport is not moving just because some idiot moved in without checking out the area.
I remember poster who came onto this forum to bit :swear: & complain, that next door to their newly purchase home was the Kelowna gun range.

Properties located anywhere near locations like a landfill, airport, gun range etc. will have a notice on title pointing this out. Properties in Quail may have two, one for the airport and the other for the dump. Even properties in close proximity to agricultural activity will get notice on title. When we bought a house in Lake Country a few years ago, it had notice on title about potential noise from agricultural equipment ... sprayers, tractors, helicopters etc. And for good reason, we awoke many times to the noise of fruit sprayers or helicopter drying off cherries after a rain. Wasn't a problem to us, but you will get those that might complain, hence developers put notice on title in order to eliminate any potential future "misunderstandings".
ETA: Real estate agents and conveyancing lawyers should be pointing this out to purchasers.
Last edited by RVThereYet on Mar 18th, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

^^^Agreed - but still doesn’t result in a “why” the development isn’t favored for approval when other existing developments were and apparently haven’t resulted in any issues with regard to the landfill.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

WalterWhite wrote:^^^Agreed - but still doesn’t result in a “why” the development isn’t favored for approval when other existing developments were and apparently haven’t resulted in any issues with regard to the landfill.

That may come to light at the council meeting tomorrow?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

RVThereYet wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:^^^Agreed - but still doesn’t result in a “why” the development isn’t favored for approval when other existing developments were and apparently haven’t resulted in any issues with regard to the landfill.

That may come to light at the council meeting tomorrow?

Possibly, but they've been building and expanding UBCO since it first opened, as has Quail Ridge - if there were issues I'm sure they would have been brought to light some time ago. Certainly before Yaletown was approved and constructed.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Having lived in other parts of Canada with "dumps" further away I can tell you that the Kelowna dump I have always viewed as "state of the art".
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I think the crux behind the city’s stand is this:

The property in question is designated as future urban reserve, with the expectation of growth to complement North Glenmore and UBC Okanagan needs.

From the City of Kelowna’s Official Community Plan Guidelines:
https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... %20Use.pdf

Land that has some development potential but is not projected for development within the Official Community Plan 20-year time horizon. There is potential for the reconsideration of the status of these lands as part of a future review and updating of the Official Community Plan. These boundaries are schematic in nature, and include lands that may remain within the ALR. Lands within this designation will not be supported for any further parcelization.

Of course you can’t blame Troika for trying - Milroy certainly had no issue convincing council to abandon the OCP in approving his development :)
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

This is an opportunity to support the development of this project, or not.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221274

On Monday, March 19, Kelowna’s Mayor and Council will vote on whether our dream of sharing the land that we love with our community will become a reality. We hope they make the right decision so we can see many happy residents enjoying the land that we have enjoyed for so many years. Please share your support by emailing the Mayor and City Council.
Len and Marlene Tonn
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

^^^ Interesting bit of back-info provided by the actual owners/developers.
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Plain and simple I believe the City is trying to save itself from being inidated with complaints of all types. I can guarantee just the word Troika at City hall means “future complaints”. This just might be the City saying we have rubber stamped your other Developments for you in the past but this one maybe a huge pain in the *bleep* for us so we are taking the high road and recommending a NO vote.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Display Guy wrote:Plain and simple I believe the City is trying to save itself from being inidated with complaints of all types. I can guarantee just the word Troika at City hall means “future complaints”. This just might be the City saying we have rubber stamped your other Developments for you in the past but this one maybe a huge pain in the *bleep* for us so we are taking the high road and recommending a NO vote.

If that's the case, then they should explain how it is they approved Yaletown, yet figure the land beside it is a problem.

The people who have lived on the land for decades haven't had an issue.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Old Techie wrote:
Display Guy wrote:Plain and simple I believe the City is trying to save itself from being inidated with complaints of all types. I can guarantee just the word Troika at City hall means “future complaints”. This just might be the City saying we have rubber stamped your other Developments for you in the past but this one maybe a huge pain in the *bleep* for us so we are taking the high road and recommending a NO vote.

If that's the case, then they should explain how it is they approved Yaletown, yet figure the land beside it is a problem.

You missed my point! Maybe the City doesn’t really have a problem with any surrounding land being developed? They quite possibly have finally had enough of Troika as a Developer and are not interested in ongoing issues for years to come during buildout?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Old Techie wrote:

Yaletown property was previously zoned for apartments and had a small motel type building on it before Yaletown was built.
Waste not
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Wasn't Yaletown built by Troika also?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Here's another idea to create affordable housing............

http://www.businessinsider.com/robot-bu ... use-2018-3

“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Central Okanagan”