Perimeter -road is a go

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Perimeter -road is a go

Post by Grandan »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ad-is-a-go
The city revealed the results, Tuesday, of the alternative approval process for the South Perimeter Road and Gordon Drive extension.

The number of petitioners opposed to the project was 120, or about 0.62 per cent of electors. Ten per cent opposition (10,909 residents) was required to defeat the development cost charge agreement, prior to March 16.

I cannot square the approval of this perimeter road with the following statement and the continued yap about compact communties at the same time.

https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... tation.pdf
The City has already seen progress toward this vision with the downtown
evolving as a live-work community that is well-served by transit and active
transportation routes. Over the next 20 years, by encouraging future
growth in urban centres and making investments that make sustainable
transportation options easier and more convenient, the City will be able to
accommodate the increasing demand for travel with less need for costly
and unfeasible roadway expansions. By pursuing centrally located,
amenity-rich, complete communities with multiple transportation options

the City is also positioning itself to attract business and talent with 21st
century skills. Ultimately, this coordinated approach to land use and
transportation will allow Kelowna to accommodate our future growth,
while simultaneously protecting the high quality of life enjoyed by
Kelowna residents and promoting a healthy and low-carbon future

It sounds daft to me.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Perimeter -road is a go

Post by WalterWhite »

The road to nowhere.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

That Approval process is so flawed. You need to give name etc on the form. At least make it anonymous like during an election campaign. Not too sure why a name is required. But IMHO that AARP should be turfed.
Reading the city statement, there are corridors that need immediate attention. Like Glenmore road to Lake Country and the connection to Highway 97. Fix that first instead of a road to nowhere.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

casey60 wrote:That Approval process is so flawed. You need to give name etc on the form. At least make it anonymous like during an election campaign.

Because without names and the process of verifying results, people who collect signatures magically have 50,000 of them after only one day of canvassing.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I might be mistaken, but I believe the developer is building and paying for the new road, don't really understand any objection to it?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Gilchy wrote:I might be mistaken, but I believe the developer is building and paying for the new road, don't really understand any objection to it?

As I understand it, the costs will be borne through development cost charges, meaning the end user - they buyer - will ultimately pay.

The number of petitioners opposed to the project was 120, or about 0.62 per cent of electors. Ten per cent opposition (10,909 residents) was required to defeat the development cost charge agreement, prior to March 16.

This makes way for the accelerated construction of the roadworks.

City council will review an authorization bylaw on March 26.

Funding is limited to a maximum of $10.763 million.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

casey60 wrote:That Approval process is so flawed.

Any group of politicians who use the AAP , Apathy Approval Process, should be ashamed of themselves. This so-called legal process, and I use the term very loosely, does nothing more than prey on the public apathy which present politicians and their predecessors have created through years of pushing through flawed project after flawed project. The AAP lets their guilty consciences sleep at night by letting them believe "we gave them a chance to object didn't we?"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Gilchy wrote:I might be mistaken, but I believe the developer is building and paying for the new road, don't really understand any objection to it?

Some of the money is coming from DCC's which should be used for affected areas not to expand the playing field for developers.
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

casey60 wrote:That Approval process is so flawed.

cv23 wrote:Any group of politicians who use the AAP , Apathy Approval Process, should be ashamed of themselves. This so-called legal process, and I use the term very loosely, does nothing more than prey on the public apathy which present politicians and their predecessors have created through years of pushing through flawed project after flawed project. The AAP lets their guilty consciences sleep at night by letting them believe "we gave them a chance to object didn't we?"

Politicians see the numbers of voters who actually cast a ballots, be it Regional, Municipal, Provincial or Federally (none of these have very high turn outs). So using AP is a sure thing to get things passed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

That road should have been put in place long ago, and the only big objection I have, is all the money CoK wasted on Swamp Road rebuilding, when what they should have been doing, is running Casorso Road straight up into Stewart Road, in the process providing a viable alternate travel route, for anyone living up on the south slopes.

As far as I'm concerned, even the extension of Gordon Drive, up the hill through that Bellevue neighborhood, was an ill thought out plan, and directing those funds toward building Perimeter Road would have been far wiser. I'll bet everyone living in that once quiet neighborhood would agree with me.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

[quote="Old Techie"]That road should have been put in place long ago, and the only big objection I have, is all the money CoK wasted on Swamp Road rebuilding, when what they should have been doing, is running Casorso Road straight up into Stewart Road, in the process providing a viable alternate travel route, for anyone living up on the south slopes.

COK will never widen Casorso Rd to accommodate those living on the south slopes..they cannot afford it..too much private farm land all in the ALR and the land that is closer to Mission Creek is deemed to be very Eco sensitive land. COK is pretty much pooched with that road to no where..they will most likely have to come across the top and down thru South East Kelowna some where but again thru farm land in ALR.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

AtticSalt wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:That road should have been put in place long ago, and the only big objection I have, is all the money CoK wasted on Swamp Road rebuilding, when what they should have been doing, is running Casorso Road straight up into Stewart Road, in the process providing a viable alternate travel route, for anyone living up on the south slopes.

COK will never widen Casorso Rd to accommodate those living on the south slopes..they cannot afford it..too much private farm land all in the ALR and the land that is closer to Mission Creek is deemed to be very Eco sensitive land. COK is pretty much pooched with that road to no where..they will most likely have to come across the top and down thru South East Kelowna some where but again thru farm land in ALR.

I'm not disputing what you are saying, but my take on that is, there are plenty of examples, of where land has been removed from the ALR for less pressing reasons, thus I think improving infrastructure qualifies as a good one. Lining up Stewart Road with Casorso is the biggest hurdle, but in that area there aren't many structures in the way, just trees.

They need to be thinking a couple decades down the road, and what needs will be, something they aren't all that good at.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Central Okanagan”