Distracted Driving Crackdown

Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby AltaRed » Mar 21st, 2018, 5:23 pm

Re: Castanet article on distracted driving, it is very good the cops are out in force cracking down on drivers with handheld cell phones. I find it very obvious when driving along busy streets such as Harvey Ave who is on the phone.They clearly are accidents waiting to happen. When are drivers going to learn that they are as great a hazard on the streets as a DUI/DWI? It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.

2 people like this post.
AltaRed
 
Posts: 63
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Aug 18th, 2012, 8:55 am
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby GordonH » Mar 21st, 2018, 5:32 pm

Knowing how many tickets have been issued (300 & growing), clearly the fines & penalties are not high enough.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20896
Likes: 2347 posts
Liked in: 7416 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby Bsuds » Mar 21st, 2018, 5:37 pm

AltaRed wrote: It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.


If they haven't "got" it by now they probably never will.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42881
Likes: 8728 posts
Liked in: 11099 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby Whyme2 » Mar 21st, 2018, 6:04 pm

This is one of the things I praise the Police for. These asshats have got to get the message somehow and maybe the fines need to go even higher. :up:

2 people like this post.
Whyme2
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 893
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 417 posts
Joined: Dec 13th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby GordonH » Mar 21st, 2018, 6:08 pm

Here is link to the story on Castanet https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ed-drivers

As soon as I see the link from CHBC I will add it
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20896
Likes: 2347 posts
Liked in: 7416 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby voice of reason » Mar 21st, 2018, 6:34 pm

why just crack down on things? cops need to do their jobs every day and pull these fools over not just go out full force for a few days and crack down.i travel thru kelowna twice a day and see several people blatantly on their phones like its all good and a few more looking sneaky firing off a text at the stop lights.the traffic enforcement is pretty much a joke here. no one ever gets nailed for driving in the HOV lane either. once in a while they crack down on something ,castanet runs a story then back to business as usual

2 people like this post.
voice of reason
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 854
Likes: 2993 posts
Liked in: 913 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby pentona » Mar 21st, 2018, 6:45 pm

Whyme2 wrote:This is one of the things I praise the Police for. These asshats have got to get the message somehow and maybe the fines need to go even higher. :up:


In addition to heavier fines, the cops should immediately impound the vehicle (no matter who owns it) and keep it in locked compound for a good long period..and make them walk home. Its a total addiction and the minor fines are just not sinking into these boneheads.

2 people like this post.
pentona
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 922
Likes: 230 posts
Liked in: 426 posts
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby GordonH » Mar 21st, 2018, 6:49 pm

voice of reason wrote:why just crack down on things? cops need to do their jobs every day and pull these fools over not just go out full force for a few days and crack down.i travel thru kelowna twice a day and see several people blatantly on their phones like its all good and a few more looking sneaky firing off a text at the stop lights.the traffic enforcement is pretty much a joke here. no one ever gets nailed for driving in the HOV lane either. once in a while they crack down on something ,castanet runs a story then back to business as usual


I would like to see it every day myself, of course I suspect RCMP would need more City tax dollars to fund the officers needed.

As for HOV lane it was only brought in for the transit busses, not to encourage more people per/vehicle
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

bornhere63 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20896
Likes: 2347 posts
Liked in: 7416 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby common_sense_guy » Mar 21st, 2018, 7:20 pm

Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

2 people like this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling
 
Posts: 203
Likes: 304 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Mar 21st, 2018, 7:23 pm

Dang it, I thought it was to make a clear path for motorcyclists..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3893
Likes: 483 posts
Liked in: 2096 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby common_sense_guy » Mar 21st, 2018, 7:29 pm

here is link showing ICBC exaggeration and the police about the real distracted driving numbers. http://vancouvercriminallaw.com/icbc-po ... y-numbers/
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling
 
Posts: 203
Likes: 304 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby motorhomebabe » Mar 21st, 2018, 8:32 pm

Guess they just have to keep pulling them over. Took a long time to have positive results on DUIs ,and that is still somewhat of a problem.

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4758
Likes: 1040 posts
Liked in: 196 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby phasyluck » Mar 21st, 2018, 8:45 pm

motorhomebabe wrote:Guess they just have to keep pulling them over. Took a long time to have positive results on DUIs ,and that is still somewhat of a problem.

As an observer/driver like most daily commuters, pretty sure I could retire in one month if I was able to keep the bucks from fines handed out.
Sure do love Rutland!!

2 people like this post.
phasyluck
Übergod
 
Posts: 1769
Likes: 291 posts
Liked in: 713 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby Anonymous123 » Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:30 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..


I'm going to venture a guess that you use your cell phone while driving.
We See
We Judge

bornhere63 likes this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2398
Likes: 1798 posts
Liked in: 1263 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby LTD » Mar 22nd, 2018, 7:40 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..

i can agree with you about it not being a big issue if it was only people talking on their phones, however texting is flat out dangerous no ifs ands or buts about it, and most people i see wandering all over the road or with their head down at a light are texting and that is a problem .

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3770
Likes: 2573 posts
Liked in: 2954 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests