Distracted Driving Crackdown

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Post by alanjh595 »

Good for you! So am I, and I have 45 years of perfect driving record to prove it.
Bring back the LIKE button.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

You realise I was being totally sarcastic in my comment re: " I'm a good driver & it won't happen to me" ? Just look at all the accidents we have in Kelowna daily.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Yes, I recognized the subtle sarcasm. But my driving record still stands. I am much less concerned about an accident that I might cause due to being distracted, and more concerned about those that I am forced to share the road with that ARE distracted.
I am very cautious and conscientious of other drivers and how they may impact my well being.
Just today, in my 2 hour, round trip, I have noticed at least 6 driving infractions, and of those 3 of them caused me to brake suddenly. (OH yeah, I add that of those 2 hours, I spent 45 minutes parked and at my appointment.) That leaves 1 hour and 15 minutes of terror on our roadways. AND probably no more than 20 kms traveled.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

common_sense_guy wrote:I'm actually shocked and how many of you people have swallowed the blue pill and believe everything you're told because it's in the news.. do you all like being lied to about things. That's exactly what the RCMP and ICBC have been doing. Lying about the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents . Maybe we should crack down on people that smoke cigarettes in cars. That's just as distracting when you got to go to put it out in your ashtray. Let's crack down on that. or how about Let's crack down on senior drivers getting behind the wheel after taking their daily medication. How about we ban all the advertising and billboards on the side of the road. Those got to be causing accidents to right.

my5cents wrote:When people discuss a topic, shouldn't the first item be to define the terminology within the topic ?

If I were to discuss "Dangerous Use of a Hand Tool", we would have to agree on what the definition of "dangerous" and "hand tool". Does a hand tool include a motorized tool or just manual power, does it include one that operates with an explosive charge, such as power actuated fastener.....

So how are you defining "Distracted Driving". I'm sure most think it describes the use of a cell phone, either for texting or conducting an audio phone call by holding the device.

I'm driving along, tuning in my radio, I look up and the line of cars I'm following has stopped and BANG. I honestly tell the investigating officer (if in fact one will come) that I was adjusting the radio,,, that is distracted driving.

(I don't), I'm smoking and I drop my cigarette into my lap and I'm fiddling around trying to recover it and BANG,,, that's distracted driving.

There is a WHOLE lot of misinformation about distracted driving.

For example, the police have basically "opted out" from investigating all but serious collisions. So where are the stats coming from ?

………...

Seems the facts have surfaced. Distracted driving is many different actions.....

For anyone interested: https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/distracted- ... 2-64480413
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Most of the listed distractions have been around for many decades (some since the invention of the vehicle), the distraction that concerns me the most are those around cellphones.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Wait til the weed laws take hold....its gonna be interesting cuz I've witnessed many puffin a pipe or stick rollin down the boulevard.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

When weed is legal I'm gonna get some and smoke up. :-)
I won't drive tho.
I'll probably post pix of my cookies on the net.
Then I'll post on Castanet.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Bpeep wrote:When weed is legal I'm gonna get some and smoke up. :-)
I won't drive tho.

Driving high is not for me as I have done it when I was a younger chap.....now cooking is a challenge in the same sense. Peanut butter cookies will work thanks!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

pentona wrote:In addition to heavier fines, the cops should immediately impound the vehicle (no matter who owns it) and keep it in locked compound for a good long period..and make them walk home. Its a total addiction and the minor fines are just not sinking into these boneheads.

The vehicle may not be the butthead texting.

I feel if the cellphone was voluntarily crushed on the spot by the offended or a 30 day suspension it might curb the use!! That is the only way to send a message, it is still quite obvious the users are still using their phones.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

common_sense_guy wrote:Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..

Do you for a moment believe people who screw up immediately volunteer to the officer they were texting?

Most people will attempt to justify how the accident happened and make a excuse on how the accident happened.

That is funny that one would believe what you stated.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:The vehicle may not be the butthead texting.

I feel if the cellphone was voluntarily crushed on the spot by the offended or a 30 day suspension it might curb the use!! That is the only way to send a message, it is still quite obvious the users are still using their phones.

The point of the item is that distracted driving is a major cause of collisions, BUT distracted driving is a whole bunch of things people do when they should be paying attention. Eating, tuning the radio, changing CD's, slapping a kid, looking at a pretty girl, lighting a cigarette, lots of things, including but not limited to the use of a cell phone.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bpeep wrote:When weed is legal I'm gonna get some and smoke up. :-)
I won't drive tho.

I'm with you on smokin' and driving.
You have to watch those cookies tho', they can creep up on you.
Waste not
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Speaking of creeping up on you ... So can some of those little elderly ladies whose distance perception seems to be gone. Wait a sec .. Maybe that's not the problem ... Cookies .. Bet it's the cookies.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The big difference between cell phone use and most of the other distractions people have mentioned is that texting or talking on a cell is a drawn out situation. Changing the station on the radio is a one off, lighting or putting out a smoke is quick, biting a sandwich or sipping a drink etc.

These activities don't take the amount of concentration that talking or texting do.

I remember back before it was illegal driving blocks in town whilst yakking away for one reason or another and when I disconnected the call, I had no clear memory of the time in between.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Well my5cents ....

For example, the police have basically "opted out" from investigating all but serious collisions. So where are the stats coming from ?

To answer that , I can only say that the RCMP were hiding behind the portable sign on Enterprise at the Ramada AGAIN today ...

Cherry picking for distracted drivers going a maximum of 5 kmph at 3:05 pm

It's obvious to me that the RCMP have INDEED "opted out" of investigating anything but serious collisions and get those "stats" by simply collecting them when it's easy for them and when they need them .

I think it's called "targeted enforcement" .

I'd like to see some REGULAR traffic enforcement across the board . Then I'd believe those "stats" .....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”