Distracted Driving Crackdown

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Postby casey60 » Mar 22nd, 2018, 6:47 am

Should be a daily thing Speed and Cell phone control. I hardly see any of it. I do see a lot of speeders and cellphone users. An awful lot. I don't see the HOV as an issue. Its used more as a passing lane at traffic lights especially when slower moving trucks accelerate on a green light. And those that speed use the HOV lane regularly.

bornhere63 likes this post.
casey60
Board Meister

Liked in: 189 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Mar 22nd, 2018, 8:20 am

AltaRed wrote:Re: Castanet article on distracted driving, it is very good the cops are out in force cracking down on drivers with handheld cell phones. I find it very obvious when driving along busy streets such as Harvey Ave who is on the phone.They clearly are accidents waiting to happen. When are drivers going to learn that they are as great a hazard on the streets as a DUI/DWI? It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.
sorry but you couldn't be more wrong in your assumptions.proof that the lying that the cops and ICBC do is being believed by most . And to make a statement like distracted driving is even close to as dangerous as drunk driving is asinine.. read further down where it's mentioned about the BC Law Firm that caught the police and ICBC lying about distracted driving accidents. Telling people that more people have died than they actually have by a large percentage to push their agenda of higher fines please people don't just listen to everything you read and believe it as gospel. It's uneducated comments that bother me the most and distract from other real issues.
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Mar 22nd, 2018, 8:28 am

I'm actually shocked and how many of you people have swallowed the blue pill and believe everything you're told because it's in the news.. do you all like being lied to about things. That's exactly what the RCMP and ICBC have been doing. Lying about the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents . Maybe we should crack down on people that smoke cigarettes in cars. That's just as distracting when you got to go to put it out in your ashtray. Let's crack down on that. or how about Let's crack down on senior drivers getting behind the wheel after taking their daily medication. How about we ban all the advertising and billboards on the side of the road. Those got to be causing accidents to right.
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 22nd, 2018, 9:30 am

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3807 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am

alanjh595
Guru

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 22nd, 2018, 9:34 am

alanjh595
Guru

Postby Catri » Mar 22nd, 2018, 10:05 am

common_sense_guy wrote:I'm actually shocked and how many of you people have swallowed the blue pill and believe everything you're told because it's in the news.. do you all like being lied to about things. That's exactly what the RCMP and ICBC have been doing. Lying about the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents . Maybe we should crack down on people that smoke cigarettes in cars. That's just as distracting when you got to go to put it out in your ashtray. Let's crack down on that. or how about Let's crack down on senior drivers getting behind the wheel after taking their daily medication. How about we ban all the advertising and billboards on the side of the road. Those got to be causing accidents to right.

I don't think most of us are going to get that hung up on those exaggerated numbers, because it's a common sense conclusion that talking on your phone distracts you from driving. We've all seen dickwads sitting there texting at a light, totally oblivious to what's going on around them and motorists that seem to be having an issue keeping with the flow of traffic and when you catch up to them, shock and wonder, they have a phone at their ear. It's not necessarily about fatalities, or even injuries, it's about incidents and accidents generally. Even fender-benders cost us all money. Even the article you posted states:
Do not use an electronic device while driving. It’s the law.

And we even agree that using your cell phone while driving poses a safety risk.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 1095 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am

I hope you people understand there is a HUGE difference between TALKING on a phone and TEXTING. I am not encouraging the talking part either just saying one is MUCH worse. The texting would be equal to police using their in-car computer systems while in motion. And before someone comes to their defense..........there is NO TRAINING for them to excel at doing it. If such training existed would you not think that it would be offered to EVERY PERSON WITH A DRIVING LICENSE to cut down on all of this carnage?
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1078 posts

Postby KL3-Something » Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:04 pm

common_sense_guy wrote:I'm actually shocked and how many of you people have swallowed the blue pill and believe everything you're told because it's in the news.. do you all like being lied to about things. That's exactly what the RCMP and ICBC have been doing. Lying about the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents . Maybe we should crack down on people that smoke cigarettes in cars. That's just as distracting when you got to go to put it out in your ashtray. Let's crack down on that. or how about Let's crack down on senior drivers getting behind the wheel after taking their daily medication. How about we ban all the advertising and billboards on the side of the road. Those got to be causing accidents to right.

So you're hanging your hat on the fact that Paul and his crew picked apart the government's sound bite?

Old people with medications, billboards, kids in the back seat and drinking a coffee or having a smoke while driving have ALWAYS been there. It doesn't take much in the way of "common_sense" to draw the correlation between the exponential increase in non-fatal collisions (rear-enders and off road right/left) that has occurred with the proliferation of smart phones. The only reason why people aren't getting hurt more is thanks to modern vehicle engineering. Engineering that should also be assisting with decreasing crashes.

It's a problem... a big problem.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

dirtybiker likes this post.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1058 posts

Postby KL3-Something » Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:07 pm

alanjh595 wrote:

Arizona.

Where texting and driving is still legal.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1058 posts

Postby AltaRed » Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pm

Catri wrote:I don't think most of us are going to get that hung up on those exaggerated numbers, because it's a common sense conclusion that talking on your phone distracts you from driving. We've all seen dickwads sitting there texting at a light, totally oblivious to what's going on around them and motorists that seem to be having an issue keeping with the flow of traffic and when you catch up to them, shock and wonder, they have a phone at their ear. It's not necessarily about fatalities, or even injuries, it's about incidents and accidents generally. Even fender-benders cost us all money. Even the article you posted states:
Do not use an electronic device while driving. It’s the law.

And we even agree that using your cell phone while driving poses a safety risk.

:up: I agree arguing about accuracy of a particular statistic is simply a distraction from the real issue that using a cell phone in any manner while driving is a safety risk. Doesn't matter what the naysayers say, logic says otherwise. That said, I do agree with the post that says smoking* in vehicles is equally dangerous. It is a distraction along with applying makeup, shaving, eating a burger, drinking a coffee, etc.

By the way, those that wish to ban billboards along our highways need to talk to our First Nations who have full control on their lands. The crown has no control. So much for land stewardship.

* Subject that has been discussed before, i.e. smoking is the culprit that starts many of our forest fires. Idiots flicking live butts out their windows. An auto-ejection seat should send THEM along with their butts out the windows too.
AltaRed

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby craigt » Mar 28th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Please try again without using all caps.

From the forum rules:

Do not post in all-caps, all-bold, or use colour text for your entire post.
Last edited by TreeGuy on Mar 28th, 2018, 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: All Caps Used
craigt

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Bsuds » Mar 28th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it never happens.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11751 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm

craigt wrote:WHY DO WE NEVER SEE OR HEAR OF PEOPLE PULLED OVER FOR A DOG IN THE LAP(WHICH IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS THAN A PHONE IN THE LAP) OR PEOPLE SMOKING AND TALKING....

In YOUR opinion, and has never been documented as a major cause of accidents. Maybe we should start taking statistics of the type of R&R music and the volume that it is being played at? That is why there are very strict rules for new drivers like:

Passenger Restrictions: you are only allowed 1 passenger, unless they are immediate family members. You may drive with as many family members as your vehicle has seatbelts for. You may also drive with as many people as you have seatbelts for if you have a supervisor 25 or older with a valid class 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 driver’s licence.
Maximum 3 People in the Car in Total Including the Driver

No cell phone use, no hands-free or hand-held devices of any kind while driving.

Passenger Restrictions

http://drivinginstructorblog.com/l-and-n-restrictions/
alanjh595
Guru

Postby butthead » Mar 29th, 2018, 5:45 am

just another money grab.
butthead

Liked in: 6 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan