Proposed new busker rules....

artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Re: Proposed new busker rules....

Post by artistwithaflare »

Actually busking has been happening in Kelowna for awhile!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2usLf3nuk
Busking goes mainstream
Jim Judd - Jul 14, 2013 / 8:39 am |
Buskers fall under the auspices of Festivals Kelowna which operates an office on Bernard Avenue downtown, auditioning potential busking acts, handing out city-approved buskers' licenses, and collecting payment for such. An annual permit is $45 for a single act, $62 for a group, while a summer permit will cost a solo performer $34 and a group $40. Monthly and daily permits are also dispensed as $14 and $17 for singles and groups, and $5 a day for those just "passing through"
Just say it as it is!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

artistwithaflare wrote:Actually busking has been happening in Kelowna for awhile!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2usLf3nuk
Busking goes mainstream
Jim Judd - Jul 14, 2013 / 8:39 am |
Buskers fall under the auspices of Festivals Kelowna which operates an office on Bernard Avenue downtown, auditioning potential busking acts, handing out city-approved buskers' licenses, and collecting payment for such. An annual permit is $45 for a single act, $62 for a group, while a summer permit will cost a solo performer $34 and a group $40. Monthly and daily permits are also dispensed as $14 and $17 for singles and groups, and $5 a day for those just "passing through"

Lol they tried taxing the buskers. That didnt work so now to fine them lol. Wow our city is low
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

phasyluck wrote:I watched Basrans interview regarding this situation, man its hard to listen to his tone of voice.....sounds like a teenager fighting to use big words. Busk away!!

The upward inflection at the end of his sentences makes him sound unconfident.
Which he likely is.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Once again, Ryan Donn continues to be the only bright spot out of this whole group - which unfortunately doesn't take much effort. Hats off to you Councillor Donn, may your common sense continue to remain unfettered by the imbeciles you're surrounded by.

- and yes, "Dumbest Bylaw Ever" - passed by the dumbest council ever.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#222256
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

removed. do NOT alter anothers quote.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

WalterWhite wrote:Once again, Ryan Donn continues to be the only bright spot out of this whole group - which unfortunately doesn't take much effort. Hats off to you Councillor Donn, may your common sense continue to remain unfettered by the imbeciles you're surrounded by.

- and yes, "Dumbest Bylaw Ever" - passed by the dumbest council ever.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#222256

Honestly I like Ryan Donn as a Councillor. I agree he has been a benefit to the city. Had he found a way to influence and mold actual policy and not just went with personal feelings I would have happily supported him in this instance. I just feel his feelings got the best of him in his desire for art, vs the realities of what people try to barf as art.

I think to few actually know what an artist he is, and his passion to want that shared is admirable, but most cities have some regulation on this for a reason and a big part is to allow art, and not blasphemy to art.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Anyone that is not in a coma could find many more important issues to spend time on.
Black Dogs Matter
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Do I understand it correctly that before I can play one of those pianos I need a permit?
Guess in the CoK we have bureaucrats that have nothing to do and just are thinking up rules,rules and more rules.
My vote goes to Ryan and Charlie. NON of the others.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

casey60 wrote:Do I understand it correctly that before I can play one of those pianos I need a permit?
Guess in the CoK we have bureaucrats that have nothing to do and just are thinking up rules,rules and more rules.
My vote goes to Ryan and Charlie. NON of the others.

The new bylaw seems vague regarding that...it could be interpreted as being "street entertainment" ... I don't want to see them get caught up in it....the devil is in the details as they say....
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#222472 wt :cuss: this guy is really a tool ,an other study :200: :200:

he wants his staff to study the issues more, [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] fyi basran you and your staff are cluesless , ,but nice try -- you are listening because of the poop strom that you and your useless staff tried to pass, no point in trying to make it look like your listening to us , your not, but fake it that what you do best
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Ya.
"We're listening".
Bultaco.
You're only listening coz you realized your logic makes you look like a tool.

I bet you were listening just as attentively when every single neighbor in the immediate vicinity of Rutland and mcurdy begged you not to pass zoning for freedoms door but you did anyway. Except there was millions of donated dollars floating around on that table that day.
"This is going to cost me some votes" you said.
I bet I will.
At least the 8 immediate neighbors. But it was well worth it, wasn't it?
If the ones most affected by your choices have no say in anything, your opinion as mayor is meaningless to me.

So make that 9 votes.
I can't wait to see you and half your local celebrity council gone.
Useless tools.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

“We’re listeningbackpedaling

Pathetic.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bpeep wrote:Ya.
"We're listening".
Bultaco.
You're only listening coz you realized your logic makes you look like a tool.

I bet you were listening just as attentively when every single neighbor in the immediate vicinity of Rutland and mcurdy begged you not to pass zoning for freedoms door but you did anyway. Except there was millions of donated dollars floating around on that table that day.
"This is going to cost me some votes" you said.
I bet I will.
At least the 8 immediate neighbors. But it was well worth it, wasn't it?
If the ones most affected by your choices have no say in anything, your opinion as mayor is meaningless to me.

So make that 9 votes.
I can't wait to see you and half your local celebrity council gone.
Useless tools.

and that's a fact
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

I love this line - "The current bylaw and proposed amendments do not prohibit someone from using a musical instrument or partaking in other artistic endeavors in public spaces, so long as there is no expectation of payment."

SO - if I don't have an expectation of payment, but people give me money anyway, I guess I am bulletproof!

Looking better all the time.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

How come in all of these discussions from the "so-called" experts on city council about buskers they have NOT ONCE mentioned that over paid deadbeat tyrant from Festivals Kelowna.........Ruinata Mills? Almost all of the downhill slide for the last 10 years has come about because of her.

Return to “Central Okanagan”