Proposed new busker rules....

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Proposed new busker rules....

Post by dle »

oneh2obabe wrote:A controversial set of bylaw amendments laying out new rules for panhandlers and buskers in Kelowna squeaked through city council Monday.

After two and a half hours of discussion, a divided council gave first three readings to changes that, among other things, will require all buskers to have permits, levy fines on motorists giving to panhandlers, and tweak rules laying out when and where panhandlers can solicit cash.

The new rules passed with a 6-3 vote (Couns. Ryan Donn, Charlie Hodge, and Brad Sieben opposed), but even that lukewarm approval came with several caveats.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#222136

I haven't read anything on the caveats yet - was one of them "no panhandlers by the bank doors and ATMS"? I hope the busker's permit is like a summer-long, one-time permit if it has to be at all....
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

One of the problems with buskers of course, is that occasionally they are really bad -- I mean truly rotten. In Victoria, they solved this problem by requiring that buskers audition for their permits. This ensures there are not too many for the available spaces, and that they are generally, good quality performers...

So the permits or licenses are coveted by performers. Listen to how good some of these folks are....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIp46SpqubA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tq_hq5ebao
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

The difference between busking & panhandling are worlds apart IMO.
Buskers are entertaining. Some sing, play music or juggle, it's what makes a city vibrant.
They are performing & if you enjoy them & leave a donation fine, if you don't care for them you can walk away without being hassled for money.

Panhandlers do nothing, they aren't the least bit embarrassed of asking if you could "spare a couple of loonies" ? This new bylaw only encourages them, how shortsighted is that ?

Why did the city mention Kirschner Rd. because it's a huge problem. The city won't put a portta-potty anywhere in the area & business owners have to do the clean-up before starting their day. Please don't tell it doesn't happen because I've shovelled it !
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I've heard one of the counselors say this was like an Omnibus group of bylaws. You had to accept all of the bylaws being submitted or none of them. What the heck? Who didn't vote for it ... Ryan, Sieben, Hodge
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

WalterWhite wrote:Sitting in the park, playing my guitar and enjoying the surroundings - and someone appreciates my music and tosses me a toonie. I didn't solicit this kind gesture, but have no licence - am I to not accept this generous token of one's appreciation and return it? Under this new amended bylaw, both payer and payee are susceptible to fines? Seriously think about that for a moment. Curious as to just what color the sky really is in your world Kelowna city council. smh

what sky? Can't see it for towers....
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

one wheel wrote:The difference between busking & panhandling are worlds apart IMO.
Buskers are entertaining. Some sing, play music or juggle, it's what makes a city vibrant.
They are performing & if you enjoy them & leave a donation fine, if you don't care for them you can walk away without being hassled for money.

Panhandlers do nothing, they aren't the least bit embarrassed of asking if you could "spare a couple of loonies" ? This new bylaw only encourages them, how shortsighted is that ?

Why did the city mention Kirschner Rd. because it's a huge problem. The city won't put a portta-potty anywhere in the area & business owners have to do the clean-up before starting their day. Please don't tell it doesn't happen because I've shovelled it !

If they are good, they make good money and a permit is no issue. It`s permitting that sets who is a busker and who is a panhandler yelling with a guitar.

But when you see a good busker, man is that fun. A good sign is they clearly have either and act, or a set they are playing.

Flashmobs are usually a well planned out event that looks like it "just happened", real buskers are the same in my mind, but it is anything but spontaneous. I see some regulations as a good thing.
Loxley

Post by Loxley »

None of my musician friends would go get a permit and audition in front of civil servant. They’re not the rules types. Thats why they are musicians.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so buskers that make an area better need a permit :200: , but f :cuss: junkie drugdealers and panhandlers can do what they want when they want , what a f up city council we have
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#222246 this tool needs to sh :cuss: tfu , he can talk all day and still say nothing
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I watched Basrans interview regarding this situation, man its hard to listen to his tone of voice.....sounds like a teenager fighting to use big words. Busk away!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

This is all very confusing.

I hope the mayor looks at the panhandling rules also and can explain that fiasco in his convoluted way.

If he and some other councillors have aspirations to become a Provincial / Federal politicians.... they would fit right in!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

The only future for Kelowna's man-child mayor is to be working with the "business end" of a shovel on his family's farm.........if they would even have him.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

I agree!
It will attract more artists to participate as individual registered performer's!
No reason to go incognito?
Just say it as it is!
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

There is also mention of making it illegal to hand your recyclable bottles over to individuals outside of depots.

This is all so Hitleresque...

It seems that a vibrant and fun city is being defined by those with $$$...
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Most major places have these permits, how and why are people so angry about this? Someday the town is not a town but an actual growing city, getting angry over realizing it's time to use big boy pants is silly.

Return to “Central Okanagan”