Sidewalks....

Re: Sidewalks....

Postby Urban Cowboy » Apr 8th, 2018, 6:39 pm

wanderer wrote:Cement sidewalks are not good for walking or running on, there is no play or give to it, so it is hard on the joints and muscles. I walk all the time in my neighbourhood lots of streets with no sidewalks, I prefer it that way. People driving cars for the most part seem to slow down more on streets with no sidewalks, the ones that don't may get the finger. Asphalt or gravel trails are good, better than cement.

:up: True that!

I'd rather walk on grass. It's much easier on seasoned bone structure. :biggrin:
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5419 posts

Postby acrent7 » May 5th, 2018, 7:16 pm

wanderer wrote:Cement sidewalks are not good for walking or running on, there is no play or give to it, so it is hard on the joints and muscles. I walk all the time in my neighbourhood lots of streets with no sidewalks, I prefer it that way. People driving cars for the most part seem to slow down more on streets with no sidewalks, the ones that don't may get the finger. Asphalt or gravel trails are good, better than cement.

You can't tell me that the average person would know the difference between concrete and ashphalt when walking and say 'oh crap it's concert - let's not go for a walk tonight....' NO ...those who want to go for a walk or need to walk want safety not easy on the knees.

It makes no sense the city only makes developers create sidewalks on the section they develop on and have sections on the MAIN thoroughfare roads with sections of no sidewalks...so ridiculous.
acrent7

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 5th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Should you be lucky enough to reach the "golden" years (snerk, whoof) you too will notice a big difference between walking and standing on concrete and asphalt

Packed dirt, wood chip paths and grass much easier on joints.

I didn't think so either until I got older.

:130:
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
Catsumi
Übergod

Liked in: 1666 posts

Postby Queen K » May 5th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:

:up: True that!

I'd rather walk on grass. It's much easier on seasoned bone structure. :biggrin:

Ohhh, I'm using that....later. :runforlife:
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12099 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan